Ebay bids reflect the market? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ebay bids reflect the market?

I have been looking for a concours C14 and have been bidding on ebay. I was the highest bidder twice these two weeks and both bids were well below the reserve (I was told). One was 2011 with 11.5k miles and bid ended at $5500. The other is a 2010 with 14.5k miles and bidding ended at $6100.

Does that say these bikes are not in demand at all (there were 5 or so bids both times) or is it the season? I was entertaining buying a brand new one, but if they depreciate that fast, I may not want to do that.

What is your take on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Hard to tell in November. Most people aren't buying now.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have found that most ebay bidders are looking for a bargain. Me included. If I buy used I either want to see the bike in person, or get it cheap enough that I can either flip it, or fix any hidden issues without getting upside down on it.

I bought my Concours new for $3000 off MSRP with no fees at Sport Cycles of Rockingham, NC. Since none of my local (100 mile radius) dealers are willing to come off MSRP, my local used price is going to be higher than my Ebay (national price) would ever be.

When you think that the local dealers might sell 3 to 5 of these bikes a year, you realize that there isn't a huge market for sport touring bikes. When I see riders out and about, 90 percent are on cruisers.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 11:52 AM

When the reserve is not met the price is to high, plain and simple.

A no reserve auction will tell you what the market is for a particular bike.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post

That is what I am thinking too - but I bid on two, won both, but both didn't meet the reserve. I went and talked to the guy up here in Frederick and he said he has 8K in the bike and he wants anything better than that. That was almost 2k more than was was offered in the bid.

There was a no reserve auction for 2013 or 2014 brand new bike that sold for $10,500.00 a couple of weeks ago. A dealer up here made me feel I am eating his lunch for offering him his asking price of $11,900.00 in exchange for a fair trade for my 2011 Versys. He offered me an embarrassingly low trade-in for my bike that I walked away. He talked for about 15 minutes how bike sales are way down and how it is soo difficult for him to make any money whatsoever.

I guess I will monitor ebay and see what comes up.

Thanks.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 PM

used one for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallhorn View Post
I have been looking for a concours C14 and have been bidding on ebay. I was the highest bidder twice these two weeks and both bids were well below the reserve (I was told). One was 2011 with 11.5k miles and bid ended at $5500. The other is a 2010 with 14.5k miles and bidding ended at $6100.

Does that say these bikes are not in demand at all (there were 5 or so bids both times) or is it the season? I was entertaining buying a brand new one, but if they depreciate that fast, I may not want to do that.

What is your take on it?
http://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/4148668456.html
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
He talked for about 15 minutes how bike sales are way down and how it is soo difficult for him to make any money whatsoever.
My answer would have been "yep, you keep not making sales, it's going to keep being tough to make money"

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:17 AM
MTS

Not sure about e-bay for a bike?

But Craig's List and other sources go meet the guy with the bike, ride it after talking with the owner!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned

They maybe aren't a popular 'bike????
This is absolutely the wrong time of year to sell a bike?

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/4072762514.html
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Some people list their bikes with a high reserve because they are testing the waters of the market. I agree with the other posters; the fact that it's Ebay artificially skews the market because the buyers use the low price to somewhat offset the uncertainty.

I've only ever purchased one showroom-new bike in my life, and while I'm thrilled with the bike, I won't do it again. All bikes depreciate - Triumphs especially (although they are leveling out on the used market…hmmm) but if I was in the market for a C14, I'd keep scoping the ads, and when I've seen the same bike sitting in the same place for 4-5 months, I'd start some haggling.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:42 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
They maybe aren't a popular 'bike????
This is absolutely the wrong time of year to sell a bike?

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/4072762514.html
Some guys love these bike and wouldn't have anything else. Great cruisers for the money I guess.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Some guys love these bike and wouldn't have anything else. Great cruisers for the money I guess.
The C14 mentioned in the original post is a very different animal from what is linked in this CL ad. Kawasaki made MAJOR changes to the bike (most of them for the better, in my opinion - never liked the look of the old model) when they became the C14.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 02:51 PM

Also worth remembering Economics 101: there's no market unless a buyer and seller agree on a price and make an exchange.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:

What is your take on it?
Both of those bikes have a higher trade in value. Why would they sell it to you for those prices?

Quote:

Only what the market is among those who are looking in the location you are selling, at the time you are selling. How much did you pay for your bikes?

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Both of those bikes have a higher trade in value. Why would they sell it to you for those prices?

Only what the market is among those who are looking in the location you are selling, at the time you are selling. How much did you pay for your bikes?
I pay what I am comfortable paying and what the seller is comfortable accepting. If we don't find that spot, I'm not buying.

Why did you ask?

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
I pay what I am comfortable paying and what the seller is comfortable accepting. If we don't find that spot, I'm not buying.

Why did you ask?
I asked because of your comment below. Based on your comment you must have bought your bikes below trade in value because that is where most of those bids on ebay ended.

Quote:

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode