BMW X Challenge - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
BMW X Challenge

Does anyone have or know things about the 650 X Challenge? I have an opportunity at hand to get one with 700 miles for around 6,000$. Good price or? Been reading up on ADV of course and seems like its a good bike. I was considering a new DR650 to replace my old XL600R but now that this came up it has me wondering..

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 09:21 PM

No personal experience but I have 2 friends who have them and both love them, but it has to be said both are also BMW fans. Friend #1 has replaced the gas tank with a much larger one as the standard only holds 2 gallon. Friend #2 has stuck with the 2 gallon tank but mounts a Rotopak on the back. She also replaced the whole suspension. She loves this bike which is quite the compliment as I don't know anyone who goes through more bikes than she does. She also has a KTM 350 and a 1200GS, but somehow this bike fits a need that neither of those do.

Another friend has the X-country, which is kind of the same bike but with different suspension (I believe). She isn't quite so enthralled with it. She also has an SV650 and she got the Xcountry thinking it would replace the SV and allow her to do some light dual sporting. It can do the dual sporting but she still has the SV as it the BMW is nowhere near as good as that on road. She now regrets not buying a smaller DS instead.

Hope that helps some
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Here, save yourself a $1000 & get a decent bike.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/mcy/4131699181.html

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would find a test ride on a DRZ-400 to compare with the DR650. I believe they are a better off road bike than the big DR and will have plenty of power. Now, if you need to drone down the highway to get to the dual sport areas, then the DR650 might be your bike.

Why not get a newer Honda 650 dual sport? The best off road bike out of the heavy beasts.

The KLR 650 is the best adventure dual sport.

I have friends with BMWs. Seem like every time they are in the shop they are dropping $1500.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My original plan was a DR650, then I saw this XChallenge close by and had to go take a look, I liked the air suspension and it had awesome power. I rode a DRZ once and I didn't like it, no real reason just.. didn't feel right.
Every time I read or ask someone about a DR they tell me to change the suspension asap, and it just throws me for a loop because Ive been dual sporting my stock XL600R for a while and I cant imagine the DR being worse suspension wise then that thing. I am shying away from the X now though, but the price? Isn't the price good for a basically brand new bike?

Edit**: And by dual sport the XL I mean going about 30-40 on a dirt road then hitting some trails not expecting to win any races, I like to ride comfortably and enjoy the scenery instead of pounding it.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

Last edited by WallCrawl; 10-27-2013 at 09:46 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallCrawl View Post
1/ I rode a DRZ once and I didn't like it, no real reason just.. didn't feel right.
2/ I am shying away from the X now though, but the price? Isn't the price good for a basically brand new bike?

3/: And by dual sport the XL I mean going about 30-40 on a dirt road then hitting some trails not expecting to win any races, I like to ride comfortably and enjoy the scenery instead of pounding it.
1/When I tried a friends' DRZ after struggling with the DR over rough terrain in the mountainous areas of Las Vegas I was hooked on it, but it's horses for courses, & if the DRZ didn't suit you (which could be due to you being used to the BRP!) then you need to find something that 'feels' right to you.

2/Forget what a deal it is now, because anything BMW will cost you 4 times as much over the coming years as anything made in Japan (or Korea or.....)

3/The KLR could be the bike for you, get the suspension farkled & you may have the ideal 'bike, but, as someone has already said, maybe another BRP is the way to go for you as you are used to the aggressive & weighty behavior of Honda's finest off roader!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Do a search for the BMW 650 fork failure.
It's a problem they have have had, I'm sure it happens rarely but when it does, it's pretty devastating. Imagin riding down the road at 60MPH and suddenly your front wheel comes off, not a good situation. I know every motorcycle has it's weaknesses but front wheel coming off is in a different category than burnt stator or broken doohickey.
Even as a rare occurance, that would be enough for me to rethink owning one, especially when there are bikes like the DR and the XR with similar performance that are relatively problem free.

Last edited by ray h; 10-27-2013 at 11:40 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Whats BRP? lol

This isn't a bike to replace my V btw.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Banned

Wink Brp?

BRP = Big Red Pig!
here's one that's gotta be worth a fly'n'drive at this price & it looks as though it's never even seen a gravel drive!

http://springfield.craigslist.org/mcy/4155173447.html
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have what it seems like a great many people have a problem with, and its choosing between the DR KLR and XR haha! My reason against a KLR was my good friend has one and Ive ridden it many times, and to me its like the Versys for offroad, allbeeit a little better of course, but big and heavy. XR reason was no oil cooler although its easy to add one and Im not a huge fan of the engine and gas mileage, as Im not a fan on my XL, but I got that for 250$ running years ago as my first ride so. Then it came to the DR which seemed to fit the bill pretty well for around 5k$. It had good gas mileage, a nice oil cooler with guard already and no real problems other then neutral thinger and a 3rd gear fail here and there. As soon as I feel like Ive found a bike and look into it at a dealer, I get the itch for the other one. My decisions have gone from a KLX250 to a R1200GSA and then to a Moto Guzzi Lemans..

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 05:56 PM

I'm having a hoot on my '99 DR that I bought from a riding buddy this summer! Piped and jetted and knobby-shod, it's just a ton of fun for very little cash.
It makes a great companion for the Versys, IMO. Light enough to feel really agile, and rough enough to make the V feel smooth and sophisticated. That's my vote.
So why buy new? It's the same bike, and it works better if you're not afraid to drop it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
So why buy new? It's the same bike, and it works better if you're not afraid to drop it.
Now that is prolly the best advise you'll get because if you already have a Versys,(next to the best allrounder ever except for the pre V-Tec VFR 800!)
then why buy new on something you're gonna drop & dent & do all sorta ding-dangs to it.(& if you aren't, then you shouldn't be considering off-road!)

PS, if the author to this thread still has the XL in running condition for the original (to him) price of $250 l'll buy it off ya, title or not!

PPS, delivery to Missouri included!?!?!?!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I wont ever sell the XL, it was my first bike, learned how to ride on it as a little kid. Way to many memories! . Still debating what Im gonna do

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 AM
Banned

Exclamation DR650?????Have you got the balls??

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Banned

Exclamation Honda v Beemer V Kwacker

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Passed on the X Challenge. I'm going to re think everything over winter on what 'second' bike I want, as in to pair with the V. Thanks for the advice everyone, like I said in another thread, this forum is really great!

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode