Buell Blast for my girlfriend - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Buell Blast for my girlfriend

If all goes right tomorrow I will be purchasing a used Buell Blast Tomorrow for my girlfriend. Here's the link to the Craig's List ad. I know it doesn't give much detail but it is all stock and has low miles. I've already looked at 2 other used Buell Blasts this past week but they were neglected and the people selling them were asking for more than this one. So what do you think? Will it be a good first bike for my girlfriend? Does anyone know of any issues with this bike that I should be aware of?

Oh yeah before anyone asks my girlfriend is too short for the Versys even with Speedy's lowering kit. I really want a TW200 as a secondary bike that she could use but I'm having a hard time finding a used one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard & read quite a bit about them lately. I'd love to get one for my daughter. They're supposed to be great bikes, especially for beginners. There are a few minor things, just like anything. From what I've read, the vibrate quite a bit. You probably have already, but google search the Buell Blast forum. There's a lot of good reading over there...

Good luck!!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:46 AM

They make great first bikes.
They do vibrate a lot at idle. Once the engine revs up they smooth out nicely.
I watched the wifes walk itself across the driveway while warming up on day.

It didn't fall or anything like that. It just kinda creeped across the driveway.

They are fun as hell to ride. They have better brakes than most stock sport bikes.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 AM

The Blast was my first road bike and I liked it quite a bit. they are quick and handle very well. The only thing I did not really much care for is that it was air cooled and on hot days, the engine would get really hot - especially if you were sitting in traffic. other than that it was a great newbie bike.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, for your input.

Well I went and checked out the Blast today and it came home with me. I got the guy to come down a hundred bucks on the price, bringing it to $1600. It's not in perfect condition but it doesn't need much. It need a rear tire and it could use 2 turn signals. Other than that it's ready to be inspected. I plan on changing all of the liquids and maybe a new battery. I think it's the original. At least there are not many Blast Farkles out there to suck my wallet dry.

My Girlfriend is getting excited about riding. She is going to take the MSF course before she does much riding. I don't think I'll ride it that much, unless I get the standard seat for it. This one came with the lower seat which drops the the seat height to 25 inches. I had to sit on the passenger seat to feel more comfortable while I took it for a test ride.

It was a 220 mile round trip and it made me wish I was on the V instead of in my truck. I went over the White Mt. in NH and the views were amazing. Then when I got near the top it was like I was driving in a cloud. Now I know where I want to go for my next bike trip.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 AM

I just picked up an 98 Ninja 250 for my wife. I think I enjoy it more than she does! Great ride, very reliable, tons of aftermarket and even IBA Rally proven!

CC

---------------------------------------------------
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 PM

Thumbs up Versys & Blast - good combo.

Hi,

I'm a new user to the forum, as I'm a new Versys owner, just passing 940 km in 3 weeks (including the week of full rain where I took the car instead). Anyway, my wife owns a Buell Blast, and we've only had a chance to go for one ride, but the two bikes got along very well. Congrats on picking it up, and enjoy your rides!

FlipprNL
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I finally got the Blast all legal to ride on the road on Friday. So I took it out and had some fun on it. The rear tire is completely bald in the center, so I took it easy but I can tell this bike was worth the $1600 I paid for it.

I'm slowly fixing up the Blast. So far I've only changed the engine oil. Tomorrow I'm getting a new rear tire installed on it as well as a state inspection. Then it's onto the tranny oil. The left side foot peg assembly must be removed to get to the transmission service cover. Hopefully my 3/8' universal is strong enough.... Check out this link to see what it involves.

That was the short list. Here's the rest of the to do list.

De-Badge, The 2003 stickers look too tacky for me
Change Brake Fluid
New Spark Plug and wire
Re-Paint or Powercoat the Exhaust
Clean and/or Rebuilt Carb
Insatll K&N Air Cleaner
Replace Cracked, Broken Scratched Turn Signals

I'm sure I'll be adding more to this list but that's plenty for now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode