Concours 2008 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Concours 2008

Ok -- so .. I am getting a very strong itch to trade up to a concours 2008 from a 2011 versys.

There is a used bike dealer in my area, looks like I may be able to trade up for 4k ..

Anyone have experience with these? I have heard great reviews and tried it, but not long term.

I often ride 2up which is my main reason, also the V just isn't comfortable on the highway, even after a lot of mods.

Also ABS / stronger brakes seem like a good idea as the V doesn't stop so well when its loaded or has 2 people on her.

I know that the 2008 vs 2010 is missing some awesome upgrades, but the price jumps another 2-3k for them.. and to me, dont seem worth it.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 AM
MTS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:09 AM

As one who went from an ST1100 to the Versys I only have one thing to say... "670 pounds".

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
As one who went from an ST1100 to the Versys I only have one thing to say... "670 pounds".
Can you clarify -- How did that affect you while riding.. Negatives and Positives.

Also - if you dont mind - what are your measurements/age?

I am 190 - 6ft, 32-33 inseam, 27. I say this because I have seen 70 year olds handle the weight so I am hoping I can..

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Subscribed. Really struggling with this myself. Looked at a 2011 over the weekend in Silver. Beautiful bike just not sure I'm gaining much to pay the $7k difference.

And I've never ridden one but the dealer offered a test drive when I come back.

09 Versys
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Well - I did it. Traded my versys in for a 2008 Concours.

Place gave me a really nice value for my Versys considering that I dropped her twice (so not in perfect condition).

Only cost me around 3.5 to upgrade.

I can see what he means by "parking lot manuevers" being harder -- they are. But I think I just have to get used it not be 300lbs

In terms of improvements.. Man this thing is nice. Highway riding is actually fun now. And its just 'comfortable'. No way to explain it really. Just a really really easy ride. Also my wife said its night and day to a passenger. I can hardly even tell she is on the back of it.

No doubt will I miss the nimbleness of the versys, but the Smoooothnesss, power, and comfort of the concours has finally won me over.

Was great while it lasted.. now time for some long trips!

Farkles:

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Naudan - .

Stop by now-and-then....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Ditto, I had an ST1300, beautiful bike two up but heavy, 1/2 ton two up with gear. I would struggle now.
I would say if you have good strength and want to ride two up in America the Concours would be a great bike. I really love riding with my wife and enjoyed the comfort of the bigger bike. Horses for courses.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:45 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox09
Concours 2008

I have a 2008 concours and a 2009 Versys . The Concours is a great bike I put on the heli handlebar 2. Inch risers . A Lot more comfortable on long distances. Changed out the windscreen for a cee baileys. Then a v stream. The cee bailey is better at high speed but the V Stream gives better protection with the raised handlebars. You will love the Concours!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Silverfox09; 03-21-2014 at 10:36 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have a 2012 in my stable. Just about to hit 20,000 mikes on it. Make sure the 08 you are looking at has abs. It was an option for that year. My riding position is stock and I have done 600 mile days in comfort. I have heated grips on all my touring bikes. It is a necessity, not a luxury when on a tour. The bike is smooth, powerful, fast, and comfortable. I stick to roads with a definite yellow line down the middle so I would not ride the concours where I love to ride the Versys.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 07:08 AM

Do you have to sell the Versys in order to get the Concours? My experience has shown me that each bike is WAY more enjoyable when it is ridden within its own niche. The two are sooo different.

I'm no diplomat
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 AM

Yeah have an 11 C14 and a 13 Versys. I need both of them. Split personality issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode