Which one - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Which one

Well, the weather is getting warmer, I got the bug, the hunt it on and lots of good deals out there...

Here are my options and they are all tempting... Which one and why ?

2009 Green V $6850 OTD
2008 GSX650F $6200 OTD
2008 FZ6 $6600 OTD

Help me out here... Although I am heavily leaning towards one of the them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:39 AM

All depends on your type of rideing and what youwant to do with the bike. I too was torn between the gsx 650F and the V. Almost bought the F several times. Dealer quality and location was the sticker for me on that one. Still would like to have that one. Had the Ninja 650R and the V shares the same motor and trans. Only complaint i had on the ninja was the seat and the position of leaning over. FZ6 i wouldn't consider at all much for me. Not the best reviews. The Suzuki gets very good reviews but lots of plastic. If you are sportbike oriented then the F would be good. If you are sit up adventure bike then the V would be good. Figure your style into it. Could not go wrong with either. I also had the 650 v stom in my list. Chose the v for my style and a good dealer close. Weigh it all in and ride and have fun

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Insurance Quote...

Well,

The insurance quote is helping my decision as well...

I currently have Geico...

My last bike, 800cc Cruiser, $205/YR

2008 GSX650F $680/YR

2009 Versys $399/YR

I have to shop around for insurance as well, but I think the difference will remain the same...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 AM

Ins. wasn't the same issue with me. But then i am 61 and have a good record and have lots of vehicles with State Farm. Like i said i had the Ninja 650R and it is the same engine slightly detuned for more lower and midrange and is so darn good. That was the biggest reason i bought the Versys. Had so much fun with the powerband. I do like power where i can use it coming out of a corner. I too had a crusier and traded the 1600 for this bike and have tons more usable power. Like coming off a semi to a sports car. Trade off was some comfort and room. I ride single so no issue. My ins went down for the Versys but the cost of the bike is less. Some ins. co. i understand rate the Versys as a sportbike but mine does not. I don't think you would be disapointed with the power and handling of the Versys. IF you are into the sportbike mode then ask Geico how they rate the Ninja 650R. One dealer i was at in a college area said he sells a lot of them as they get by without the sportbike rate from the ins co. and then the kids modify them somewhat. Seat was a killer for me but then i am old. Might even try another ins co for a quote. Coming off a 800 Cruiser you will sure have a power and handling rush. Just more plain fun for me.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 PM

I'd do the Versys, but I'm a bit biased. Second place would be the FZ6 and I would buy the Suzuki if there was absolutely no other option out there.

I just look at it as another heavy underpowered Katana and I personally find it pretty ugly but that's my opinion.

If you're looking for a sportier option, the 650R ninja is a great looking bike now with a lot of nice upgrades for the '09 model year.

Good luck on whatever you choose. I just don't think you can buy a better bike than the Versys out there right now.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

650r

Looked at a 2009 650R with full fairing...

Very nice bike... Very well improved for the generation 1, the increase in price is very worth it...

It feels nice, neat, solid, cute, and most important, very comfy...

The rear fender flap made to be taken off, only held by 2 screws and from the looks of it, very easily removable without leaving any mayor scars to be cover up.

The only think that killed the good vibes today was that ugly green Kawasaki color, I wish my local dealer would had gotten the red/black so I could really appreciate the beauty of the bike.

It was sitting near by the new Yamaha FZ6R, and the Kawy looks and feels a lot better... I have not seen the Gladius in person yet, but from the pictures I don't care for its looks...

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, the red & black Ninja looks good.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:19 PM

Had the black Ninja 650R and it is a really good bike. Loads of power and handling and good fuel milage. Only complaint i had was a rotten hard seat that is shaped like a log. The leaned over position and small shield made a face shield full of bugs every evening ride before sunset. I think the FZ6R is a 4 cyl. isn't it? Not sure how much different the Gladius is from the SV 650. I got the Versys for the sit up style for me.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:18 PM

I like the FZ6R, but the Gladius looks like it came out of a Cracker Jack box. It has strange shiny plastic parts.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM

I agree the Gladius looks kind of wierd. Hope it looks better in person than it does on paper. I thought about the FZ6R but from what i read it didn't get the best reviews. Would like to ride a new 4 cyl once. Really wanted a GSX 650F. I know my old Secca is a 4 cyl but old technology. It has a upper end rush and not near the mid range power. Like to see how the midrange is on the modern 4's.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Gsx650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I agree the Gladius looks kind of wierd. Hope it looks better in person than it does on paper. I thought about the FZ6R but from what i read it didn't get the best reviews. Would like to ride a new 4 cyl once. Really wanted a GSX 650F. I know my old Secca is a 4 cyl but old technology. It has a upper end rush and not near the mid range power. Like to see how the midrange is on the modern 4's.
If you want a $7K I4 Engine, then the 650F would be the one of choice...

I was very closed to sign my name on one, but at $900/yr insurance I am staying away from such bikes...

Really, all I need is something to commute to work, so at this point I am thinking even a Ninja 500R would do trick, large gas tank, low principal, reliable, cheap insurance, can't beat it...

Take care guys...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
To me the Gladius looks even stranger in person. That is when you can see the the colored plastic parts. I guess what is weird is that appears to use colored plastic instead of painted plastic. Makes it look like a toy.

I have been curious about 4 cylinder engines. Seems like they would be smoother and have more power, but I guess that would make them more complicated and expensive. I really like the power on the V. Great for me. First bike, older, but like a little excitement.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 AM

Years ago the inline 4 cyl was way more popular. Honda had some awsome ones. Now it is the trend mostly of the twins. V twin mainly and some inline. Were some wide engines back then. Now the trend is a narrow bike. Bmw made their line of K-100's that were inline 4 cyl and i had one which was very smooth. Now they are pushing the twin again. America seems to like the twin engines and they have inlines smooth enough for me for sure. The V twins they all want to have the lumpy exhaust and the vibration. I rode the 900 and was too much vibration for me at highway speeds. One dealer told me they all vibrate and want it that way. OK goodbye. I think the modern 4's are somewhat smoother but then sometimes i look at it as overkill. This is all i need so why not stop here. Kind of like motor size. Is more better. Maybe it is the older age now. My ins. would not have been any more as it wasn't on the Ninja so that was not the issue. The issue was the Suzuki 650F was more of a sport bike posture and the dealer wasn't close for a good one. 100 miles. The reason i was looking at it was the ride was better than the Ninja. Then you guys here told me i could lower the Versys so that was the bike i really had in mind all along. Us older guys get cheaper ins. Whoopee Only trouble is by now we mostly can't ride the sportbike lean and straigten up afterward.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

The Hype...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
To me the Gladius looks even stranger in person. That is when you can see the the colored plastic parts. I guess what is weird is that appears to use colored plastic instead of painted plastic. Makes it look like a toy.
I have not seen the bike in person yet for a real first impression, who knows it might be a good performer... But definitely, I think Suzuki went south with the Gladius... I hope they rectify that machine soon, sales will send them the hint either way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I have been curious about 4 cylinder engines. Seems like they would be smoother and have more power, but I guess that would make them more complicated and expensive. I really like the power on the V. Great for me. First bike, older, but like a little excitement.
In this category Suzuki has been able to maintain a dominant presence... specially on the $7K entry level. The I4 Bandits have always been known to be smooth torque monsters and the GSX650F is no exception, I actually got to test ride a used one that dealer was trying to sell me, very impressed. Torque where you needed at lowered RPMs and silky smooth engine... I was taken on a 7mi tour, just a big circle around the dealer, but from the minute we took off, I felt right at home on the 650F, very comfortable, bike fit me very well, no complaints.

The issue with 650F is the insurance, for some reason insurance companies are just scared of the 650F, the collision coverage for the bike is insane... For my 800cc cruiser I have Geico and I currently pay $205/YR and I have all coverages with pretty good limits including collision. I called Geico and the quoted me $950 for the 650F, $399 for the Verys and $289 for the 650R (same engine as the Versys). I called dairy land and they were higher then Geico, but still the same facts remained, the 650F was the worse. I work for an insurance company so I go one of our local agents that I work with to rate me the same there bikes with the best rate possible, once again, the same came true, the 650F was away out on its own, then the versys and the 650R was the cheapest.

I just don't get why the Versys would be more expensive then the 650R, same engine but the 650R has way more plastics to be replaced in case of a collision. I would estimate that the type of riders the 650R would attracts are going to be less responsible then the typical riders for Versys.

Yamaha on the other hand... very Buzzy I4 (not smooth) with the FZ series and the engine power only comes alive on the north side of 6K RPMs, meaning you have to be breaking the speed law for the bike to show you what it can do... I don't think the FZ6R is going to be any different then the FZ6 and FZ1, known to be buzzers and upper revs monsters with very lazy low end engines.

Last edited by SVNET; 03-01-2009 at 07:53 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 AM

Thanks! I really enjoy the V, but since this is my first bike I am just curious what else is out there and how they compare to the V.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 AM

Go with the V

Inline 4 cylinders are the bomb, I've had 4 different model inline fours (2 750s - 2 400s) out of my 11 bikes and almost bought a 3rd 750 Nighthawk but I came back to the V for it's straight up riding position, peppy twin engine and styling.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM

And remember that you are going to keep the V this time!!!

Steve

Now I have four!

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNET View Post
2009 Green V $6850 OTD
2008 GSX650F $6200 OTD
2008 FZ6 $6600 OTD
The GSX650F and FZ6 are both very good all-around sportbikes, though arguably not as sharply-edged as some would hope. There really is no correlation to the Versys, though. Although it technically is an all-rounder like the other two, it functions very little like them. It will be more comfortable, lighter, easier to flick around, easier to take on long and short trips and much more fun in general. The engine is no more powerful but generally much more fun to play with. It is a less aggressive bike in design and function. If you can eschew the need for a sportbike pose, you will find the Versys more capable in more riding situations than the Suzuki and Yamaha. If you want a sportier bike, I would recommend a GSX-R or YZF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode