Tiger 1050 Sport........Mmmmmmmmmm - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tiger 1050 Sport........Mmmmmmmmmm

I think I've just found the replacement for the Versys when the time comes.

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...ort/22330.html

Saw it in the 'flesh' and it is a lovely motorcycle, especially in the white. My dealer will have his demo ready for mid April and I'll be taking it out for a hoon around to see just how much it has changed over the previous model. But on looks alone.........

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM

Yup. Totally with you mate. I've been crunching numbers on how it might happen in a couple years (family expenses, and my seemingly undying urge for racing). My time might be later, but it will come. That is if they decide to bring it to the states.

Last edited by Retro Rocketeer; 04-11-2013 at 11:43 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 PM

Not for sale in the US.
Which totally makes it easy to want one.
I think it looks fantastic, the character of the motor seems ideal, ride-all-day comfort, and upgraded suspension; what's not to like?
33 mpg (Imperial!!)
Pretty nice write-up, but the comments were in fact a bit more illuminating.
The USD forks and SS Swinger that seem like such an upgrade are just leftover parts from other models. The exhaust still roasts your rump. The service intervals are short.
See... I knew I didn't really want one.
Dibs on Davy's bike though; Fly-n-Ride?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 PM

I sold my Tiger 955i to buy my Versys. They are great bikes but know that they are quirky as hell, require more maintenance than a Versys and that maintenance will cost you significantly more (parts, not labour).

Love Triumph's, but will sit tight on something else to let my bank account recover
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

The newer 1050 Tigers are a much better machine that the early Tigers of old and this latest Sport model has some nice updates over that model. What I actually like is the fact that it is not over-loaded with electronic gizmos that the new generation of Tiger Explorers/12GS LC/KTM 1190 are. It's a more basic machine, but maybe a more honest machine in that respect ? The new single side swingarm is not a parts bin left over and has been designed especally for the new Sport and been added to allow larger panniers to be fitted. But ultimately, IMO, it's a nice revamp of an existing model which costs alot less than the pseudo giant trailies it was once competing against. In fact, it's a much nicer looking bike compared to the Versys 1000 which is a more direct competitor.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:03 AM

Saw one in at a triumph ride day on the weekend. It was the only bike we couldn't ride lol It looks much better than the previous model.
After sampling the Explorer Trophy I had a ride on (the little Squirt) Street Triple 675 omg what a amazing piece of kit. thats the one thats seducing me.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM
MTS

Nice looking bike! What is the price point?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambamboo View Post
I had a ride on (the little Squirt) Street Triple 675 omg what a amazing piece of kit. thats the one thats seducing me.
Sing it, brother. I very badly want me one of those machines.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 AM

I had a 2009 Speed Triple (practically the same engine) and it was super reliable. I put 20000km+ in the first year without a glitch. Maintenance schedule and prices was comparable to most japanese bikes. I only sold it to save my license, if we didn't have speed limits I'd still have it
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM

Nice bike! Wouldn't mind the 850 either! Think the tiger or the sprint ST will be my next bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM

A white one passed me (in the car) and I agree it looks great and my first thought was, Triumph has done the Versys, but the 1000, not the 650. The Sport is 123hp and £9.6k. The Versys 1000 is 116hp and £9.5k.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhFZ View Post
Nice bike! Wouldn't mind the 850 either! Think the tiger or the sprint ST will be my next bike

I tried the Sprint ST and it's a great bike too but for my 6'1" frame felt like the ergos we're a bit too sport oriented for a "sports-tourer".

The Tiger 800 is a beauty, but the power curve just seems a bit boring (compared to the Street Triple for example, which is a bit more punchy and entertaining)...a neighbor has one T800, looks great but I can hear the engine whistle 5 minutes before he goes by hehe Also tried a Daytona 675, same whistling, but once you rev it, it sounds amazing I love most Triumph bikes, had a Speed Triple 2009 and a Scrambler 2010, and both were great fun and high quality.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:13 PM

With a strong GT and adventure bike market growing here in the states, I'm holding some hope this Triumph with make it here in short time.

In the mean while, we'll enjoy all the Harleys, Victory, and Orange County Choppers you don't get in merry ol' U.K. So there. (insert sarcasm emoticon)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM

I made the switch from Versys to Tiger 1050 last year, with few regrets. The worst issue with the Tiger was the lights, which it looks like they've tackled nicely. The other was wind management as the factory screen had the same issues my Versys had. (Noise/turbulence.) I don't know if this bike has it solved, but both MRA and Mad Stad have provided good aftermarket for the Tiger, and I'm sure will continue to do so. These bikes aren't cheap though although you do get what you pay for.

This new Tiger has more power, better suspension, and the same comfy ergo. I hope they bring it to Canada someday. I'm curious if the Versys 1000 is meeting sales expectations or if they will be doing a facelift on it early. I have never seen a V1000 on the streets here, but I see lots and lots of Versys 650's on the road. The V1000 and Tiger 1050 seem like natural competitors.

for reviews on all motorcycle accessories as well as other great motorcycle news, stories and video.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Do you know what the Tiger reminds me off ? I'll give you a clue.

It was only available in the States for one or maybe two years in the early 90's. This bike too didn't meet the sales expectations of the manufacturer which was why it was withdrawn quite quickly in that particular market, yet sales in Europe were very very healthy. It was a bike that was probably ahead of its time, but most riders didn't recognise that and when you look at what is available these days, you'll see where I'm going with this.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the............................

Yamaha's TDM850.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 AM

You nailed that one. An excellent example. Good bike at the wrong time. A buddy of mine loved his and rode it into the ground. Unfortunately quite literally. Totalled it. He looked for a replacement, but was too difficult to find another. (Before the internet mind you.)

I own another excellent example of a bike before its time in the states that rocked in Euro markets: Honda NT650 Hawk GT
To its credit, it finally got its recognition. Unfortunately after Honda discontinued it for the States.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Write-up coming soon.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
I tried the Sprint ST and it's a great bike too but for my 6'1" frame felt like the ergos we're a bit too sport oriented for a "sports-tourer".

Rode a friends hired ST when he was over here for a 9 day ride with me from Aust and thought the ST was okay but was very lumpy in comparison to my ninja 1000.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Write-up coming soon.

Do tell, hope that's a new purchase! Very interested!

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Triumph rep at the NYC show said there are no plans to bring the Tiger Sport to North America...said the US is all about adventure bikes, Europe likes sport tourers. Too bad, I'd be really tempted.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode