Putting the Touring Back into Sport Touring - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Turk
  • 1 Post By Turk
  • 1 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Putting the Touring Back into Sport Touring

Last year I purchased a used set of luggage and hardware for my Interceptor. Unfortunately it was missing a few pieces and two of them were critical and proprietary, I just couldn't go to the hardware store and get replacements. The seller was willing to take it back but I was determined to make it work so I spent the better part of a year trying to track these two foam rubber spacers down. These pieces sit between the passenger handrails and metal framework of the luggage system. After a few deals going bust a buddy of mine suggested 3D printing. A helpful member of the VFRDiscussion forum sent one of his pieces to a 3D printer in Canada and a few weeks later I had my missing pieces. They scanned one piece and then flipped it in the computer.

The missing piece. If you look closely you can see the ridges created from the printing process.

The new pieces are seated quite nicely to the grab rail and mount.

The used kit was also missing quite a few bolts so I had to run to the hardware store to find replacements. While this doesn't look too bad they are supposed to be allen headed bolts which my original equipment black caps snap over to hide the bolt heads and create a cleaner look.

When all is said and done the project worked even if it is a bit cobbled together. I can now choose between the Interceptor or the Versys when planning a weekend trip or have a second bike for my visiting riding buddies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Turk; 05-07-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
...The used kit was also missing quite a few bolts so I had to run to the hardware store to find replacements. While this doesn't look too bad they are supposed to be allen headed bolts which my original equipment black caps snap over to hide the bolt heads and create a cleaner look....
I replaced the 'socket-head' fairing bolts on my '08 in a similar fashion.

IMG_0248copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0247copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I think they look better now.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Last year I purchased a used set of luggage and hardware for my Interceptor. Unfortunately it was missing a few pieces and two of them were critical and proprietary, I just couldn't go to the hardware store and get replacements. The seller was willing to take it back but I was determined to make it work so I spent the better part of a year trying to track these two foam rubber spacers down. These pieces sit between the passenger handrails and metal framework of the luggage system. After a few deals going bust a buddy of mine suggested 3D printing. A helpful member of the VFRDiscussion forum sent one of his pieces to a 3D printer in Canada and a few weeks later I had my missing pieces. They scanned one piece and then flipped it in the computer.

The missing piece. If you look closely you can see the ridges created from the printing process.

The new pieces are seated quite nicely to the grab rail and mount.

The used kit was also missing quite a few bolts so I had to run to the hardware store to find replacements. While this doesn't look too bad they are supposed to be allen headed bolts which my original equipment black caps snap over to hide the bolt heads and create a cleaner look.

When all is said and done the project worked even if it is a bit cobbled together. I can now choose between the Interceptor or the VFR when planning a weekend trip or have a second bike for my visiting riding buddies.
Nice. Aren't the Interceptor and the VFR the same bike?

Now you area ready for a nice tour whenever they let you cross the state lines.

I was in Suches, GA this past weekend with a hundred other motorcyclist that came to ride the area but couldn't stay in Tennessee or North Carolina. Some making a 300 mile circuit to go ride the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Nice. Aren't the Interceptor and the VFR the same bike?

Now you area ready for a nice tour whenever they let you cross the state lines.

I was in Suches, GA this past weekend with a hundred other motorcyclist that came to ride the area but couldn't stay in Tennessee or North Carolina. Some making a 300 mile circuit to go ride the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway.
Whoops! Good catch, I fixed it, meant to type "Interceptor or the Versys". Between the two I would take the Versys on an extended tour or trip, it's way, way more comfortable. Plus it has heated grips, ABS, longer range, more fuel efficient, handles strong crosswinds better and it's lighter. Still, it's nice to have a choice and the VFR has it's virtues as well.
twowheeladdict likes this.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Hmmmm....

I may have to escape up there midweek. I do like TWoS. And Jimmy's Smokin' Q, and Telico Grains Bakery, and Betty's Market, and Wolf Pen Gap, and War Woman Rd, and Wayah Rd, and Cherohala, and TN 68, and++...
twowheeladdict likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 05-08-2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: feext speeling air ore
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 03:43 PM

That is awesome! I love how 3D printing can help in these kinds of scenarios. Enjoy your touring days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode