KTM 790 Duke...Wow! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
KTM 790 Duke...Wow!

Been drooling over the new KTM 790 Duke. KTM continues to amaze with new offerings and the latest Duke is indeed amazing.

800cc verticle twin but designed to sound and deliver it's power like a V-twin due to it's 285 degree crankshaft. This puts the crankshaft journals at 75 degrees apart, compared to the standard 180 degree crank on our V-650 engine. See attached thumbnail.

105 hp and gobs of torque that will lift the front wheel like it's full of helium. Combine all that power and torque with a weight around 400 pounds and you have a recipe for major FUN!

Sucker has all the electronic bells and whistles and retains a price tag that is not clear up in the ozone.

If I had money and a good back I would own one.

Fasten your seatbelt and watch this.

The motor is stock. Biggest change is the full Akro exhaust.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (16).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	166755  

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 12-18-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think Id go with the 790 Adventure
Tcruarceri likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:14 AM

Great video. I can't decide if the speedo is registering mph or kph. If it's mph that's more than a impressive. As folks in Maine might say, "That's wicked fast." It would keep the adrenalin flowing especially since it seems to be around 8 AM and the temperature is around 40 degrees F.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Great video. I can't decide if the speedo is registering mph or kph. If it's mph that's more than a impressive. As folks in Maine might say, "That's wicked fast." It would keep the adrenalin flowing especially since it seems to be around 8 AM and the temperature is around 40 degrees F.
Speedo shows MPH. Yep it is impressive!

Cookin Wid Gas

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modene View Post
I think Id go with the 790 Adventure
That's a great bike too.

Same motor but tuned a bit differently. More for low to mid power and less peak HP.

Much bigger bike with lots more suspension travel. Would be very friendly to a bad back.

I owned an 1190 adventure for about a year. Fantastic motor and suspension. I got rid of it as it was just too tall and the heat off the motor and exhaust would cook your inner legs in the summer months.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering a 790 Adventure as an eventual replacement for my trusty Versys 650. Not this or next year though.

Since this is the first year of production, there are some known teething problems. Next year, they're moving production from Austria to China, so it'll be another year of smoothing out kinks in the new factory. 2021 sounds like the earliest I'd buy one.

790 Adventure's seat height is just 4mm taller than Versys 650's (Mk3) so it should feel like home. 790 Adventure R is the more off-road oriented one with huge suspension travel.
Tcruarceri likes this.

2015 Versys 650
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Garage
That was a great video. One misjudged turn and you will really be flying. I'd love to have a KTM and or Ducati. But there is something to be said about good ole reliability.
hawkerjet likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 10:49 PM

Its impressive how much power and how many electronic features KTM are packing into the 790 Duke and Adventure for the price they are asking for them.

Their plan to take over the 2 wheeled world is no joke, and other manufacturers are taking notice. BMW just announced the price for the new F 900 R at $9k. Not an apples to apples bike with the KTM but I think they know people will cross-shop the two of them.

Also, an 890 parallel twin is coming from KTM soon, unclear if it will replace 790 models or sell alongside in different iterations. No complaints here its a great time to be a biker
Craigar likes this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 12:16 AM

Amazing video of bike and rider! Riding so close to the edge of the road almost took my breath away. Something else, the engine sounded like it was running as strong and clean at the peak as it was at the start. The peak is really high (14K ft?). Quite a testament to the electronics, sensors and firmware that go into the fuel injection system.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 09:24 AM

"good back" was the issue for me.

I test road a 790 duke and 690 duke (the adventures were not out yet) and even though that 790 engine was fantastic, the ergonomics were not.

So got the 690. I wanted to test the 790 as I was only interested in the first year, 'made in Austria" engine, not at all interested in a made in china engine, whether KTM or BMW.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloFrom2012Versys650 View Post
...Amazing video of bike and rider! Riding so close to the edge of the road almost took my breath away....
The camera turning itself around had me thinking that he'd LOST it, and that the bike was tumbling, at least for the first twenty times it did it!

Turk, hawkerjet and Craigar like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
The camera turning itself around had me thinking that he'd LOST it, and that the bike was tumbling, at least for the first twenty times it did it!

I thought that too. Dude is about to have an OS moment.

Pretty clever camera work for sure.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 04:23 AM

By the way, KTM is introducing the Duke 890 to replace the 790 in order to pass 2020 EURO 5 emission regulations. The 790 motor in that state of tune doesn't meet them.

The 790 in the Adventure is detuned slightly (10hp) and manages to meet EURO 5 but just barely. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an 890 Adventure soon, especially since it's basically the platform for the Husqvarna Norden 901.

In that case, the 790 engine might end up in a relatively short-lived production run. It probably doesn't make sense for KTM to sell a 790 Adventure and 890 Adventure side by side. Or to even manufacture two such similar engines.

On the other hand, they may leave the 890 power plant for the sporty Dukes and leave the detuned 790 in the slower Adventures to leverage existing tooling, who knows. KTM is known for selling a bunch of similar bikes in small displacement increments.

By the way, they're apparently also planning on introducing several models with a two-cylinder 490 engine, including a 490 Duke and 490 Adventure, to replace the 390 thumpers. No timeline yet, the 390s pass EURO 5 so their seats are not on fire as with the 790, might be a few years away. Can't wait for that 490 Adv...

2015 Versys 650
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The Yamaha FZ-7 twin has a 270 degree crank, weighs in at 400 lbs and will wheelie very easily and comes with much more reliability and lower cost to buy and own. When bike showrooms are full of 1 and 2 year old KTMs, something is telling me they are better on paper than to own.

When I test rode several KTMs I described the experience as riding a thoroughbred race horse. A lot of fun, but not something you would want to live with on a day to day basis.
funflyingguy likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 08:36 AM

Garage
very key points brought out here. i'm very cost conscious, both initial and ongoing. i factor in insurance too.
thank you....

Last edited by funflyingguy; 12-20-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
The Yamaha FZ-7 twin has a 270 degree crank, weighs in at 400 lbs and will wheelie very easily and comes with much more reliability and lower cost to buy and own. When bike showrooms are full of 1 and 2 year old KTMs, something is telling me they are better on paper than to own.

When I test rode several KTMs I described the experience as riding a thoroughbred race horse. A lot of fun, but not something you would want to live with on a day to day basis.
I had a new 2014 FZ09. Put 24k miles on it before it was sold. The FZ07 is very similar in many ways.

Both have great engines. In fact this is the best thing about each bike. The down side however is both suck in the suspension department. This is the area where they skimped to keep the price point down. I spent 2K on suspension upgrades which was a big improvement but still fell a bit short in my opinion.

Then I started riding KTM bikes and was not only blown away by their great engines but also their fabulous WP suspension. Finest suspension I have ever experienced and this is stock right out of the box.

Japanese bikes are great and I have owned many over the years. They work good and last a long time but lack that custom built Ferrari quality that KTM has captured with their amazing machines.

KTM is kinda like the premium spread if you can afford it. If not there is always margarine.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...They work good and last a long time but lack that custom built Ferrari quality that KTM has captured with their amazing machines....
The Japanese bikes also lack that incredible costliness for maintenance that goes hand-in-hand w/ the Ferrari name....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 08:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
The Japanese bikes also lack that incredible costliness for maintenance that goes hand-in-hand w/ the Ferrari name....

a friend of mine who owns a few ducs says the only people who complain about the cost of owning one are the people who don't own one.
hawkerjet likes this.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
a friend of mine who owns a few ducs says the only people who complain about the cost of owning one are the people who don't own one.
A BC neighbor had a Ducati (1100 ADV bike) and a BMW 650 single which he still has.

I got to watch him "do" his valves on the Duc once, and I believe I understand WHY the Ducati was sold.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
A BC neighbor had a Ducati (1100 ADV bike) and a BMW 650 single which he still has.

I got to watch him "do" his valves on the Duc once, and I believe I understand WHY the Ducati was sold.
That desmo valve train is the ultimate Rube Goldberg impersonation.

I'll take an order of good o'l bucket over shim and hold the catsup.

Cookin Wid Gas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode