Starting To Look For A Shorter Bike With Foot Forward Controls - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

10Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By bmw111
  • 2 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By mrvwbug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Starting To Look For A Shorter Bike With Foot Forward Controls

Big Bonus is its also shaft drive. But the gas tank is kinda small....The GT version...
Turk likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Not exactly down sizing . I was thinking about the Vulcan S. Lighter, low seat height, forward controls. Adjustable ergos for big guys.Owners love em!

I Like this guys review.

weljo2001 likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Was looking at the Kawasaki Vulcan , but not enough time for two bike. BTW ,are you transiting because of your back and knees.
weljo2001 likes this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Haha. I have a Honda CTX700 (manual, not the dual-clutch version) and it's the easiest bike I've ever owned to paddle around the parking lot. Super low seat height and low CG. Suspension is the only thing "wrong" with the bike, IMO. Not enough travel. They're rare enough people still ask "What kind of bike is that?" I've got a 2014 white, with fairing and saddlebags. Looks great and is a mellow cruiser and nice commuter. Some guys tour on them. Not very fast, but it's a relaxing state of mind kind of bike. Other than a low seat height and forward foot controls, pretty much the opposite of the Rocket.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Was looking at the Kawasaki Vulcan , but not enough time for two bike. BTW ,are you transiting because of your back and knees.

Yep, My knees and hip. Need something a little easier to get on and off...
Fastoman and Duffy like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Try out the scooter series. Might go easy on your knee and hips as you don't need to swing your legs across the bike. IMHO.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/kv/kv/pr...port/xmax-400/

and take care.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I understand that.........I'm liking the 883 Sportster except for the forward controls. I would rather have the mid controls, but I'm going to try a ProPac rider backrest first.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I understand that.........I'm liking the 883 Sportster except for the forward controls. I would rather have the mid controls, but I'm going to try a ProPac rider backrest first.
You can get the sportster in mid or forward controls.

I like the Lowrider except for the mid controls. Nothing a few hundred dollars won't solve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lowridera.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	165053  

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Big Bonus is its also shaft drive. But the gas tank is kinda small....The GT version...https://youtu.be/pAi6BheMljA
Definitely a "Mine is bigger than yours" kinda bike. LOL!

When I sat on a previous gen it didn't feel lower and easier to move around.
weljo2001 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Not exactly down sizing . I was thinking about the Vulcan S. Lighter, low seat height, forward controls. Adjustable ergos for big guys.Owners love em!

I Like this guys review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3810uEN9xU

For me, hydraulic valve lash adjusters and belt or shaft drive is what makes a cruiser advantageous. Take that away and I would rather have a UJM.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
For me, hydraulic valve lash adjusters and belt or shaft drive is what makes a cruiser advantageous. Take that away and I would rather have a UJM.
I had all that in my Vulcan 1600 Classic, including a comfortable, low seat height and forward floor boards. Going down the freeway it felt like riding a couch. Unfortunately, it handled like a couch too! It was a was a tank at slow speeds and you had to muscle it in the turns. No fun in the twisties. Don't miss that at all. The Versys returned me to the real joy of riding. Sometimes less is best.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I had all that in my Vulcan 1600 Classic, including a comfortable, low seat height and forward floor boards. Going down the freeway it felt like riding a couch. Unfortunately, it handled like a couch too! It was a was a tank at slow speeds and you had to muscle it in the turns. No fun in the twisties. Don't miss that at all. The Versys returned me to the real joy of riding. Sometimes less is best.
You chose the wrong cruiser. You should have tried the Mean Streak. My 1600 Mean Streak with USD forks, sport bike wheels, tires, and brakes was a pretty good performer but not for the unskilled rider for sure.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I like the Lowrider except for the mid controls. Nothing a few hundred dollars won't solve.
I've got a Hugger which has forward controls......used mid controls are $150-$200 on eBay. I'll keep watching....the Protac rest is $140 from Speedy's.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:

The Low Rider S is back BTW. And it still looks like it will be the best performing bike Harley makes, just like the last one (remember it came out after the death of the V-rod). Basically, same motor and suspension as the FXDR, without the obnoxious 240 rear, a hair lighter, and comparable lean angle. The styling is also less divisive than the FXDR.
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
You chose the wrong cruiser. You should have tried the Mean Streak. My 1600 Mean Streak with USD forks, sport bike wheels, tires, and brakes was a pretty good performer but not for the unskilled rider for sure.
See also Yamaha Warrior, a sport cruiser with 37 degree max lean angle and sportbike tire sizes. Can be found for about 5-7k on the used market.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Interestingly enough, the new Indian FTR has hydraulic lifters, no valve adjustment needed, still chain drive though. Though how often do you find a 125hp bike with hydraulic lifters, the M109 is about the only other one I can think of.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
Interestingly enough, the new Indian FTR has hydraulic lifters, no valve adjustment needed, still chain drive though. Though how often do you find a 125hp bike with hydraulic lifters, the M109 is about the only other one I can think of.
Didn't know that. Just assumed it was like the Vrod that had shim under bucket.

The FTR is more bike than I want at this point in my riding journey, but I do like the looks of it. The local dealer does offer test rides and the 80 mile backroad ride to get to him is fun. Mmm.

I am being drawn to an Air Cooled Ducati Monster or Scrambler, the triumph 900 air cooled Scrambler, or the BMW R-nine-T Urban Enduro, but do want to check out the new Royal Enfield 650s. Used Monsters are typically thrashed, but several used Scramblers are showing up in the marketplace. Haven't seen any used R-nine-T in the used market yet.

I did test ride the Scramblers when they first came out but didn't think they were worth the price plus dealer fees at the time. Plus, no close dealer. 2 hours north or 2 hours south or 3 hours east if I needed any dealer service help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	165141   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	165143   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	165145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scrambler 900.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	165147  

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode