Need some suggestions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need some suggestions

I am trying to convince the wife to start riding. She has begun to see how a motorcycle can be beneficial at times, and is starting to accept the idea.

However, she is petite at 5'3", and will be a beginner when she starts. She likes the look of a yamaha v star 250, but is concerned about the ability to carry things. My Versys have a set of Givi E21's, and she likes the ability to do some light grocery shopping with the bike.

I find the Versys's riding position, combined with a set of side box, to be ideal, but the bike would have to be about 3/4 scale. That would put the seat height around 27.5", weight around 330lb, and should be perfect for her.

Is there anything like that out there? Thank you in advance for any advice/information.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 AM

My wife learned on a 250 Virago, (Same bike as the V-Star 250). She is small as well. She rode the crap out of it for three months and sold it to buy a VStar 650 (her current bike). She has no regrets on buying small. It gave her confidence by not worrying about being heavy and she could hold the bike up well at the stops. She also loves the V-Star 650 due to the seat height.

With that in mind, buy a used 250. Cheap investment and see how it goes. She will be in a much better place to select a larger or different bike if she wants one after getting some experience. She may decide to just keep riding the 250, nothing wrong with that either. They just suck on the interstates. The Star 250 is like riding an angry bumble bee at 60MPH & Up! (Quote from my wife).
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 07:10 AM
MTS

+1 on what the Capn said! Small and low to start!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 AM

Don't forget the ninja 250. With cases, they can carry quite a bit, handle the highway just fine, and are light light light.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 AM

I know a girl (about 5'4") who has a Suzuki Gladius and just LOVES it.

I'd recommend against learning on a cruiser. Handling and brakes usually suck. If she likes retro the Bonnevilles are also pretty accessible for the vertically challenged, and they handle beautifully and have decent brakes, and are really fun to ride. And if Pink rides it, it's cool hehe

Another alternative to the Versys would be the ER-6N, it's lower to start and you can have it lowered more. It's light, great ergos, practical, shares the same fun engine as the versys.

She could also have a look at the Honda NC700X.

Oh the Ducati 696 can be interesting too though I've read engine isnt the best when riding in the city:

And lastely the Yamaha FZ6r, pretty much aimed at the feminine clientele:

Last edited by Kawa007; 02-06-2013 at 10:14 AM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM

CBR250R? Or maybe one of the upcoming Honda 500s?

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Going through the same thing. My girl is finally warming up to motorcycles. She was a passenger on a scooter in hong kong as a teen and after that she wanted nothing to do with bikes. I got the Versys her son then got a GSXR 750 so she's open to it. She's petite also so i was thinking a scooter or ninja 250 to start on then get her something bigger when she feels ready.

27_KYMCO_AGILITY_CITY_125-354x266 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Hi Joe,

She's not really into the idea of a scooter(especially one where she can't take onto the highway). I have thought about a Ninja (would likely be the 300, for FI) or CBR250R, but both of those still have a 30.x inch seat height. Also, the seating position on a sports bike is less than desirable.

The MSX125 that was posted by someone before would've been really fun and great for a beginner, but that's unlikely to make its way into the US anytime soon.

I have even though about a Honda CB500 with some lowering, but that's got a seat height of 31.9", and would be a stretch...

Any other ideas?

Peter
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Garage
Maybe something like this..Seat Height 26.6 inches.http://powersports.honda.com/2013/rebel.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...-ktm-390-duke/
If it comes to america.

I'd just pretty much pick a bike she LIKES...and have it lowered (I mean avoiding the obvious multistrada, honda xl650 and what not...). It will cost more to start with a 250 and upgrade 3 months later then buy a decent bike to start with and have seat and suspension lowered.

The Ninja 300 makes sens, but ergos arent' that great.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Maybe something like this..Seat Height 26.6 inches.http://powersports.honda.com/2013/rebel.aspx
Good suggestion except for one major issue I have with the rebels. The side covers over the battery stick out the sides and dig into your inner thighs at a stop. The VStar in comparison does not have side covers that extend at all, they are under the seat. Try sitting on a rebel next trip to the dealer.

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

oh snap! i didn't even see the other replies. Sorry guys!!

The monster 696 would be great since I can steal it when she's not riding. I have thought about it more than once.

I didn't know the er6n is lower, will look into that. Although that is no longer sold as new, so I will have to take a leap of faith with that.

NC700x is pretty high too, although the storage on the NC700X would be IDEAL for her(and she DOES like the look of the bike). It was actually what I intended to get when I walked into the dealership, but the dealer had the 2011 Versys on the floor, at a good price(which i talked down some more), so I couldn't resist. I have no regrets what so ever. Would be somewhat comical if wife ends up with the NC700x.

Peter
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM

Garage
http://www.cycletrader.com/New-Or-Us...sort=year:desc Low low mileage just not as close as the others..http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...R-6n-106874218

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-06-2013 at 06:33 PM.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 PM

The Ninja 300 is a hot ticket. Girl I know bought one and the Boys are going to be in for a shock! I rode it and it's a blast for me and I have 80+ pounds on her. She can keep up my V with no problem and all. Of course it doesn't hurt that she's been riding for about 10 years and is good.

A set of soft bags can be had cheap and will give her a chance to learn what she wants to do with the bike without dumping a ton of cash in it. A tail trunk might be all she needs to haul the bacon home!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

ER-6N or the Ninja 250 will be good starting point.

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Also vouch for the ninja 300 as did a recent test ride on it and it would keep the versys honest in the twisties.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Let me just add that riding a motorcycle is serious business if you want to survive. I would not want my wife riding her own bike because she assumes everyone around her is going to do what they are supposed to do and you can ride a bike the same way most people drive cars. NOT!

Anyway, if you are having to convince her to ride a bike you definitely need to find something she is comfortable with. Has she taken the MSF class yet? That should be the first thing prior to even looking at bikes. Don't think about it as saving her money by buying her 40th bike right now to save on buying the other 39 bikes. If she is not comfortable with it she is not going to want to ride. If she can't handle emergency conditions she might die, or worse yet be maimed for life.

A used Vstar 250 would be a good starter bike if you can get where you want to go on two lane roads. Lowering a bike that has a high center of gravity is not going to help much. Good Luck.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My wife decided the Suzuki 650 cc Boulevard met all her seat height and overall weight criteria, and she seems pleased with it. She doesn't care for the sport bike riding position so the cruiser style satisfies her. She also likes the fact that it only weighs in the mid 300s full of fluids. And, IMHO, she looks good on it.

Seems like riding a recliner to me but then I don't ride (much).

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 AM

Just ride forget the groceries for a bit... CBR400 Er650 so many good bikes out there, but stuff shopping for a learner just ride i say..
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM

What about a Suzuki GS500? Upright riding position, you can add luggage to it and it is comfortable for the vertically challenged.

A bit of a step up from a 250 but not full-on like a Versys.

As for the Rebel, my partner had one and I rode it a few times - one of the most uncomfortable bikes I ever rode. Useless on the highway, you could get to 55 mph (90 km's) only if you had a good tail wind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode