Interceptor Ride to the White Mountains - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

7Likes
  • 3 Post By Turk
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By Craigar
  • 1 Post By Craigar
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Interceptor Ride to the White Mountains

Just a heads up, this is mostly photos of my Interceptor up in the White Mountains.

View from the Kancamagus Highway looking south.

Probably my favorite area to ride in my neck of the woods, the Kancamagus Highway in the White Mountains between Conway and Lincoln, NH.* It's only about two hours from my house (near Boston) if you take the interstate and a local highway (I95 and HWY 16) heading up the east side towards Conway, which is what I did.* There's three tolls along the way totaling $3.50.* Alternatively you can take I93 north all the way to Lincoln only paying one toll that costs $1.* 93 is faster but 95/HWY16 is more interesting.* This is the longest trip I have ever taken on my Interceptor in a single day, 400 miles and man was I sore the next day.* Didn't help that it was really hot later in the day and I didn't hydrate enough suffering some leg cramping.* I should add, there are a lot of pics of the Interceptor below... I've been here quite a few times with my other bikes and really was just thinking about taking photos of my bike at some of my favorite stops.

Chocorua Lake is a great place to stop and just chill.* Very relaxing and usually not too busy.

The Swift River that runs along the eastern side of the Kancamagus Highway.* Lots of people just wade and play in the water here.

More spectacular views from the top of the highway overlooking the mountains.

A lunch stop at One Love Brewery in Lincoln, NH.* The bartender recommended these French Dip Sliders and now I would recommend them as well.* Really good.

There were a pair of antique cars stopped along the Basin which is just north of Lincoln along the Styles Bridges Highway in Franconia Notch State Park.

A view along Franconia Notch.* A really mellow divided highway with sweepers that cut between the mountains.

A retired Cog train.* These trains still run up Mt. Washington.* Notice the angled engine that is designed for going up the grade of the mountain tracks.* This old model is sitting along HWY 302 near a restaurant.

Stopped along Saco Lake.* You get here from Franconia Notch by taking HWY 3 or 302 from Styles Bridges Highway (I93) N.

Sitting right at the edge of Crawford Notch along HWY 302.* Right after this is a big drop down with some fairly tight turns.* It's a fun run as long as there isn't traffic holding you up.

Normally I would continue along HWY 302 to Bear Notch Road which connects with the Kancamagus Highway and bypasses North Conway and Conway.* Bear Notch Road is very technical if you take it at speed but today there was too much traffic so I turned around and went back around 302 to Franconia Notch before heading home.

Took a stop at the Flume for a break from the heat and get some water in the beautiful visitor's center.* This is a great place to visit if you have more time.* For a small fee you can take a two mile hike through some amazing landscapes.

Bonus VFR pic!* After the Flume I headed home along 93 south.* 70mph posted all the way to Concord, NH.* I had a few runs of 80mph keeping pace with the traffic.* Surprisingly I was effortlessly*getting 200 miles per tank with a bar or two on the gauge still showing when I stopped to fill.* I didn't hit vtec all that often but I wasn't babying the bike.* I'd be lying if I said the VFR was comfortable for a 400 mile day for me.* I can do it but I was quite sore the next day.* Still, love the bike and glad to know that I can take it on a longer ride, especially since most of my favorite roads are at least an hour away from home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:49 PM

Garage
Nice! The last time I rode that area it was raining the whole time.
Turk likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:42 AM

Garage
Wow, beautiful country in your neck of the woods! Nice looking bike as well. Other than leg cramps, it looked to be a stellar day.
Turk likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Nice! The last time I rode that area it was raining the whole time.
Yeah, you can never tell for sure, the mountains do some pretty tricky things with the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
Wow, beautiful country in your neck of the woods! Nice looking bike as well. Other than leg cramps, it looked to be a stellar day.
The leg cramps were my own stupid fault for not drinking enough water. Unlike the Versys I don't have any, zero storage on the VFR and I just didn't take care of myself so it's really on me. You've got some great riding near you too, I've been in Tucson a few times and rode with a friend of mine around Mount Lemmon, Kitts Peak and a few other places I don't remember the names.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

I regret that when I lived in Quebec and Ontario, I never rode in NH.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:55 AM

Garage
The leg cramps were my own stupid fault for not drinking enough water. Unlike the Versys I don't have any, zero storage on the VFR and I just didn't take care of myself so it's really on me. You've got some great riding near you too, I've been in Tucson a few times and rode with a friend of mine around Mount Lemmon, Kitts Peak and a few other places I don't remember the names.[/QUOTE]

I would suggest a camelbac for those days you are on your interceptor. Even though, I have storage to keep water with me. I do prefer the camelbac while riding. They're neither heavy or cumbersome. You will also find that you will drink more throughout the day. Hydrate or die is the motto here in AZ.
Turk likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I regret that when I lived in Quebec and Ontario, I never rode in NH.
The New England area is really nice for riding, Vermont and Maine as well and even western Massachusetts. Of course Lake George and the surrounding area of upstate New York though not technically New England is also quite spectacular. I've ridden a bit in Ontario and it reminded me of where I grew up in SE Wisconsin. Flat rolling hills, lots of farmland and a Great Lake to keep you company. Didn't find many great roads but I haven't explored it seriously yet. Have not ridden in Quebec yet but am taking a road trip with the wife by car to Montreal this weekend.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
I would suggest a camelbac for those days you are on your interceptor. Even though, I have storage to keep water with me. I do prefer the camelbac while riding. They're neither heavy or cumbersome. You will also find that you will drink more throughout the day. Hydrate or die is the motto here in AZ.
and if you get one with a wide opening you can fill it with ice and wear it under your jacket for some cooling affect.

Every convenient store I have stopped at had no issue with me refilling the ice from the fountain drink machine. I haven't tried it at foreigner owned and operated convenient stores though. When there is a minimum wage employee at the cash register they have no problem with it. I always buy some small snack or gum or something for a buck or so.
Craigar likes this.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode