Two wheels and a Gyroscope. WTF? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Two wheels and a Gyroscope. WTF?

Hard to believe this was made over 50 years ago!

Randyjaco likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:20 PM

Wow......I would like to see one of those,
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:35 AM

Looks like it has a wide turning radius. I bet u-turns are a pain in that thing.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

I think BMW got a self balancing bike and its still a prototype..

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
I think BMW got a self balancing bike and its still a prototype..
Wow, that's pretty cool.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Ok I want to know how that thing works!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Ok I want to know how that thing works!

Which thing? The 1960s vehicle or the new BMW?

The 1960s vehicle uses a gyroscope. Have you never had a toy gyroscope when you were a kid? Once they are up and spinning the resist changes in motion.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:56 AM

Garage
kewl

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
The 1960s vehicle uses a gyroscope. Have you never had a toy gyroscope when you were a kid? Once they are up and spinning the resist changes in motion.
Oh yes I am familiar with gyros. Gyros like to precess. They need constant re-erection.

A gyro strong enough to keep that vehicle upright still needs to keep the center of gravity precisely above the center of vertical force. When the vehicle is stopped it has to be upright, but in a turn the force is tilted (which is why we lean in turns), so the vehicle will have to be tilted. To the gyro needs to allow such tilting, or the vehicle has to be driven so slowly that the lateral turning force is tiny.

My guess is a massive gyro with a vertical axis and the vehicle must be driven slowly.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Oh yes I am familiar with gyros. Gyros like to precess. They need constant re-erection.

A gyro strong enough to keep that vehicle upright still needs to keep the center of gravity precisely above the center of vertical force. When the vehicle is stopped it has to be upright, but in a turn the force is tilted (which is why we lean in turns), so the vehicle will have to be tilted. To the gyro needs to allow such tilting, or the vehicle has to be driven so slowly that the lateral turning force is tiny.

My guess is a massive gyro with a vertical axis and the vehicle must be driven slowly.

I found this article:
https://www.conceptcarz.com/z27722/gyro-x.aspx

Text of the article is below:
Designer: Alex Tremulis
In 1967, California-based Gyro Transport Systems hired the well-known designer Alex Tremulis to build a porotype car to be known as the Gyro-X. Tremulius - a famous stylist and Automobile Hall of Fame inductee - and Thomas Summers, a gyroscope expert, created the gyroscopically-stabilized prototype vehicles known as the Gyro-X. The result was the extraordinary vehicle with two wheels and a built-in gyroscope to keep it upright. It was powered by a transversely mounted 4-cylinder, 1275cc Austin Mini engine but the 'brain' of the car was a hydraulically driven gyroscope developed by the 'gyrodynamicist' Thomas O. Summers. Although technically a functioning success, the Gyro-X never went into production and this prototype is all that's left of the exercise. The vehicle was road tested by Science & Mechanics magazine, who wrote that it could reach a top speed of 125 mph and could sweep through turns without tipping, but the emphasis was on the word could for obvious reasons. Whilst warming up and before it achieved stability, a set of training wheels on retractable outriggers kept the car from toppling.

Proposed as a possible solution for future transportation, the two-wheeled vehicle provided many thought-provoking ideas for revolutionizing transportation. Why only two wheels? Tremulis and Summers suggested that a two-wheeled vehicle could be more efficient than its four-wheeled counterparts. Smaller and lighter weight means it can use a smaller engine. The Gyro-X was reported to reach speeds of 125 miles per hour using an 80 horsepower Mini Cooper S engine. Also, the gyroscope's stored kinetic energy would be harnessed as an additional power source in future gyro vehicles!

The aerodynamic body design reduced wind resistance, while half the number of tires reduced road drag. As far as drivability, two wheels made for greater maneuverability, like that of a motorcycle. While a two-wheeled automobile may at first glance seem unsafe and definitely unstable, the Gyro-X made use of a single 22-inch hydraulically-driven gyroscope which stabilized the vehicle, allowing it to 'swoop through 40-degree banked turns without tipping.'

The Lane Motor Museum acquired the car in running condition in 2012 and has recently restored it for the road. The restoration process has involved years of research and hard work to piece the car, and its history, back together.
Fly-Sig likes this.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode