Royal Enfield Himalayan latest addition to the stable - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Royal Enfield Himalayan latest addition to the stable

About to head out on a few hours of back roads exploration.

Really liking everything i am reading about this bike.

There are many Europeans working for Royal Enfield and the frame was designed by notable designers Harris Performance. https://www.harris-performance.com/

The chief designer was Pierre Terblanche.
Quote:
The Himalayan was one of designer Pierre Terblanche's contributions to Royal Enfield during his 20-month stint as head designer. If you follow motorcycle designers, Terblanche was the guy that replaced Massimo Tamburini at Ducati, and penned the 999 Superbike, the Hypermotard and the old, slabby Multistrada.
At an OTD price of $4500 and a simple air cooled, counter balanced, 2 valve engine, I decided to be one of the early US adopters. if it blows up at 10,000 miles I still have spent less than the immediate depreciation on my Road Glide.

Full coverage insurance equivalent to my other bikes was $25 for 11 months.

I think I have a pretty eclectic stable of bikes now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_162910.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	162879   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_171040.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	162881   Click image for larger version

Name:	sm20190323_084058.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	162883  
weljo2001, ATYC, Turk and 1 others like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:12 PM

Garage
Cool, congrats! Great looking stable.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:05 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:19 PM

Thumbs up!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I love the suspension. It is tight on the roads and supple on the bumps.

Here is a quote from a guy on another forum when I posted it there and people were saying "Nice Dirtbike".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyEddie View Post
You goofs...the Royal Enfield "Himmy" is no Dirt Bike......It is a Gentleman's Trail Bike reserved for those who appreciate the finer ways to go bird watching and have a picnic by the brook while the Spaniel chases the Wood Cocks from the brush......

Great Bike amigo......great bike indeed
This is the way I see the bike and the way I will ride it.

There are a lot of videos of people riding these bikes in terrain I would never ride in on any bike. If you accept what it is and stay within those limits, it is a great motorcycle.

I just did my first fillup after riding 85 miles of gravel and backroads and light trails with speeds ranging from 30 mph to 50 mph and only 1/2 throttle accelerations. I got 85 mpg calculated. Woo Hoo!

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:59 PM

I would love to try a RE bike. I think I would like the Continental for myself.

Very nice bike, hope you are enjoying it. By the way, the HD looks like itís giving the other bikes the side-eye.
twowheeladdict likes this.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
First 100 miles out of the way.

I really like this bike. I had so much fun today! I ended up taking 100 photos!

I saw some amazing scenery, a lot of loose dogs on the hunt, some wildlife, and nary a car.

I am only inputting 1/2 throttle during break in and staying between 3000 and 5000 RPMs. This bike is not going to win any races so you don't want to pull out while you see a car and forget you are not on your sport bike.

When you ride it within the performance envelope it was designed for, the bike is happy and you are having fun.

The vibrations just aren't there with this engine and staying at 1/2 throttle. Some say you can feel vibration or pulses on hard throttle but I will find out in a few hundred miles.

The handling is fantastic on road and the light stuff I put it through. The bike feels lighter than it is because the CG is low.

The side stand feels a little long if you are not on a level surface. I could see how a laden bike might be a problem and you would have to make sure and adjust the preload to compensate.

The fuel range so far is incredible. Running around at 1/2 throttle and speeds between 30 and 50 mph I calculated 85 mpg! I don't think my KLX250 got that kind of mileage.

Some oddities:
  • [li]When you turn the bike on in gear with the clutch lever pulled in and the side stand up the neutral light will be on until the bike is running.[/li]
    [li]The fuel tank wraps around the frame and when you open the fuel cap it sure looks shallow to where I put the nozzle in at an angle to avoid splash back or scratching the tank.[/li]
    [li]The electronic compass built into the dash is right some of the time. I rely on the sun and time of day to know what direction I am going, but they should have put in a temp gauge or USB outlet instead of the compass[/li]
    [li]I had to drill my own holes for the licence plate. The holes provided were too wide for my Tennessee plate.[/li]

Standing up on the pegs was very comfortable and made the looser gravel a breeze to ride on.

When you start to look this bike over closely and carefully you wonder how they can build this and provide what they provide for the price. It comes standard with everything you see in the photos (minus the soft bag) and you can get some RE accessories like engine guards ~$100, Pannier Racks ~100, RE Aluminum Panniers ~$600. It already has the skid plate, center stand, oil cooler, etc.

The exhaust looks like aftermarket exhaust. Sounds nice too.

Both the insurance lady and me were amazed at full coverage insurance for $25 for the next 11 months!
DaveC and StormRider like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are some photos of my ride today.

I headed out with no particular destination or direction in mind. I just let the bike decide which way to go.

I did a little exploring, but very cautiously as I get to know the bike better. Streams can be very treacherous in TN with our slick rock and I did slide some on the rock while walking around to take these photos.

I mostly stayed on the tiny lanes and gravel roads that ran up and along the ridges or down in the hollows along small rivers and streams.

onewizard, DaveC, Turk and 2 others like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I like to capture photos of my bikes with interesting buildings in the background as well as murals and other structures when I can find them.

I hopped off the bike to capture the above image and was greeted by a pair of curious white puppies.

They seemed friendly enough so I ignored them and snapped a few more shots.

Then I hopped on the bike and started it up and they went NUTS! Started fighting with each other and when I took off they gave chase! LOL! I encountered way too many loose dogs during this ride and of course they were all a lot bigger than these puppies. Chase the motorcycle is a favorite game among country canines. LOL.

Anyone need to fill their canteen? Take a bath? I decided to pass.

I ate my lunch down by this river.

It gave me a chance to walk around and stretch my legs. Took a few shots while resting and eating.

onewizard, DaveC, Fastoman and 5 others like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A little more exploring

Close to home I pulled into this little country restaurant to use the rest room and came out to the evening menu item eyeing my bike.

It was only when I was taking this photo that I noticed that the stripe on the bike actually spelled HIMALAYAN.

onewizard, DaveC, Turk and 3 others like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...it was only when i was taking this photo that i noticed that the stripe on the bike actually spelled himalayan.

cool!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing your New ride with us.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:26 AM

Great bike,took one for a test ride,almost didnt go back.It would be my choice for a 2nd bike.
Go on youtube and find 100s of good reports on these.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicraig View Post
Great bike,took one for a test ride,almost didnt go back.It would be my choice for a 2nd bike.
Go on youtube and find 100s of good reports on these.
This would be a great bike for New Zealand! I hope I can rent one when I go there to visit my son and his wife.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
This would be a great bike for New Zealand! I hope I can rent one when I go there to visit my son and his wife.
It would be a good bike in the South islannd,do the Molesworth,Nevis Crossing,Dunstan Road,Danseys Pass(stop at the pub)and Hakataramea Pass.Tell me when youre coming here.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicraig View Post
It would be a good bike in the South islannd,do the Molesworth,Nevis Crossing,Dunstan Road,Danseys Pass(stop at the pub)and Hakataramea Pass.Tell me when youre coming here.
Planning for December 2020. Hoping to go for 6 weeks so I have time to visit family and time to ride and explore.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:37 AM

Advpulse has a lot of good things to say about the Himalayan. Himalayan Archives - ADV Pulse

There's a dealer just a few minutes away from here, so I'm going to have to drop in and take a look. Though there is no room in my small 1 car garage to add another vehicle, I'm kinda jonesing for something smaller just to bop around on. Couldn't hurt to take a look, right?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:49 PM

Nice machine! I didn't get to ride today due to the slushy weather, but did get to sit on and look over the RE offerings including the Himalayan. The seat height is nicely lower than the V650 for my 5'10" body, and the bike is noticeably lighter with a low center of gravity. I feel confident I could pick it up from a tip-over without concern.

The hard luggage they had mounted on the back looks a bit small but they are 26 liters, nearly identical to the Kawi 27 liter hard bags on the V. No factory top box, but there are a lot of soft dry bag options that would work great.

Pirelli MT60 tires for the rough/loose surfaces, large 21" front wheel.

A really nice offering which will give the Versys 300 serious competition. Their other bikes are nice, too. Very retro. Wish I had a bigger garage!
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, Spring fever is still going strong so I took a 1/2 day Thursday and all day Friday and put down some more miles on the Himalayan. If you have the type of roads where you live that I have here in Middle Tennessee then I highly recommend this motorcycle. If you need to do a lot of high speed riding to get to where the good roads are, then this is probably not for you.

Gas mileage so far: 1st tank 85 mpg, 2nd tank 67 mpg, 3rd tank 79 mpg. Some of the variance comes from the fact that the 2nd day of riding did involve some 65 mph to transition from one gravel road to another and some nice hill climbs. Also, there is no easy way to know when to stop fueling without risk over overflowing so the fills may vary. Pretty good average so far though.

Now for some more photos near my home.

The Roads:

The water crossings:

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The Scenery:

A parting shot:

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode