The 2019 Versys - Page 6 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

161Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
shop news...

grand daughter says she needs arms and hands for her gnome, rummages around in the shop until she finds lengths of steel rod in two diameters, walks over to the #4 Di-Acro, "Hey, this thing bends steel right, how does it work?"

then she formed the hands and arms, welded those on.

peace bro...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
shop news...

grand daughter says she needs arms and hands for her gnome, rummages around in the shop until she finds lengths of steel rod in two diameters, walks over to the #4 Di-Acro, "Hey, this thing bends steel right, how does it work?"

then she formed the hands and arms, welded those on.

peace bro...

Some really impressive talent , thanks for sharing.
post #103 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
even more shop news...going big

my college girl fabricator decided that her first welding project was so easy and fun that she promptly got out a sketch pad and roughed out the design for a new bird feeder stand, birthday present for her mother.

once again, she did all the bending and all the welding, hundreds of each. the only time a tape was used for the work was to create an accurate spacer layout on the square tube risers, otherwise, duplicate bends were created by using applied index marks on the bender turntable, or simply eyeballing the work on the fly.

42" width by 96" height.

shop is quiet now, she went home to start her summer job, which is another story in itself.
onewizard likes this.

post #104 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
THE KWIK MART KHRONICLES 94

We stopped for fuel in Haines Junction at a station run by an unhappy looking Chinese fella. He looked like one of those old Bruce Lee kung foo bad guys, wispy chin hairs and squinty eyes. Buddy was fueling on the other side of the island while I was inside to pay.

In a squawk of what I suppose are Chinese expletives, the guy grabbed one of those tire thumpers that truckers use and ran out the door towards Buddy. I ran to the door and was about to shout a heads up when the guy stopped in his tracks, turned around, and came back to the office while muttering some Chinese gibberish. I swear that the sounds that they call a language remind me of the sounds that come out of the hen house when the barn cat makes a mistake and wanders in.

WTF! I couldn't figure out what was going on until I realized that this dumbass thought that Buddy was washing down his bike with the window squeegee scrubber. The jerk was lucky, and the Canuck guys would understand. Buddy and I are both old northern Minnesota boys, and hockey guys from the day we could walk. In other words, if you want violence, well, let's just say we were born to it on all that old time Minnesota outdoor ice, postcards from an entirely different era.

I know you think that all Minnesotans are just namby pamby liberals who elect comedians to the Senate. Those are just the young people up there, the old guys are the ones that wrapped on the foil. My old man was already teaching me the finer points of high sticking, slashing, and hooking before I could talk in full sentences. If that crazy Chinaman had touched Buddy with that thumper, he would have found out what it’s like to take his meals through a straw.

This whole episode was putting a damper on my sense of humor, and it was past time to get the heck out of Haines Junction and turn south. The road was reported to be a great bike road for scenery, and the surface was supposed to be in good shape. Towards the bottom of the road, we would cross the border again into Alaska.

Devilsfan likes this.
post #105 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
more junk parts to sort through, i need something from this pile...

post #106 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Dave - don't know IF you saw it, but your "old" V649HP just joined this Forum:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...09-v649hp.html

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #107 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
the V649 red frame is a great bike, and proven adventure travel moto.

V649 next to a stock Versys, put on your big boy pants, seat height 35 inches +/-.

beastly...

the blade fairing for this particular build is a GS500 mid fairing that was flipped upside down and reversed side-to-side, then trimmed to fit the design concept.
chid, 16VGTIDave and Devilsfan like this.
post #108 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
THE KWIK MART KHRONICLES 94

Let’s take stock of the situation…it was Saturday night, I wasn’t even halfway across Maine, and I needed to be at the Gaspe border in northern New Brunswick by Monday morning. Y’all don’t need a computer and mapping software to figure this one out. The curtain had closed on the Maine gravel, my rate of advance east was simply too slow, I’d have made the Gaspe by about Wednesday…if the Garmin didn’t get lost in the bush more than a few more times.

Pitch dark on secondary pavement in Maine, folks, there ain’t much out there, not even a glow on the horizon, nothing darker if you haven’t had the opportunity to ride this type of road. Sometimes found in unlikely places, and under strange circumstances, just ask me, and that’s where I found myself, steady rain falling, cold and wet, every light on the front reaching.

The road felt like it was bolted to the bike, then the bike bolted to me, it had been a long day. It’s a strain to ride at night, ya know there are some very dim witted, but huge animals that could step into the road at any minute, there’s no such thing as a casual evening ride here. My hands were cold, but when the occasional vehicle would pass, I needed to click the auxiliary light switch. Half the time the switch wouldn’t disengage fully and the lights would blink instead of switching off. While it might mean “radar trap” in an urban setting, it means “freakin’-moose-in-the-road” up here, and all the drivers were braking immediately, the brake lights still lit up as they went out of sight.

East, east, more east, and finally I ran out of the rain, now it was just cold. I knew approximately where I was, west of I95 but approaching fast, and still well south of where my original route hit I95 near Millinocket, way off course. If I was cold riding 60mph, it was freezing riding 80mph on the slab, and I got off at the Lincoln exit, plenty of motel signs on the billboards, there has to be one room left in this town.

After a bunch of “No Vacancy” responses on the phone, a guy with a very heavy NYC accent said “Yeah, I gotta small room, but it’s directly on the lobby if ya don’t mind something like that”. Hmmmm, it’s 11 freakin’ 30 on Saturday night, I’m frozen solid, no others available…let me think on it a bit.

My new NYC friend spoke in a language only used by a caricature of an old time gangster, looked the part except in miniature, and was of indeterminate sexual orientation. He was a nice guy, and I had a smile stuck on my face to keep from laughing. Paid, got a key, rushed back over to McDonald's, and ate $20 worth of their gourmet fake food like a garbage can bear before they closed at midnight. I was the only one there, and I must have looked a little on the rough side…the manager with the cute little updo brought me an extra large cup of coffee when she saw that I had finished the first.

They locked the door at my heels when I left, and that was that, I was in eastern Maine, piece-a-cake, and despite the hour, I wasn’t feelin’ humble. After all, when you pass the point of no return, it ain’t the right time to quit.

I was needin‘ a little Tennessee pick-me-up about then, and I might know where to find it.

16VGTIDave and kiwicraig like this.
post #109 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i'd had the bike on the ground three times the previous day while traversing some terrible "road" conditions, now the next morning at a fuel/food stop, and the first real opportunity to get out the tools to adjust and tighten everything that had been knocked out of whack. i was beat up and the bike was equally beat up, nothing broken on either, and we rode out many miles back into civilization. ride out, or walk 20 miles, there wasn't another human being out there besides me.

armor, very simple in concept, both bike and rider had armor, and neither would have survived without it. that said, both sets of armor had certain shortcomings, and steps were needed to upgrade both.

the bike inspection showed a nick on top of the radiator end cap, yup, it had been seriously planted, i don't fool around with incidental flops. another .5mm would be called a leak, maybe i could conjure a field fix, but i didn't have anything to pour into the radiator anyway.

up-armor effort required, better get on it.
chid and 16VGTIDave like this.
post #110 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
very nice to have in the shop, be it for the casual hobbyist fabricator or other, is a set of transfer punches. a big time saver, and this type of punch produces enough accuracy for use when multiple fasteners are required. i use these punches frequently, get a set, they can be found cheap.

this type of punch is not used as a center punch, it's a locating punch, so don't wear them out by dulling the tip.

16VGTIDave likes this.
post #111 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
another thread on this forum speculates on when a Versys650 will get to Tuk, NWT via the road extended from Inuvik and opened last season. no need to speculate, Versys650 motos made the trip shortly after the road opened in 2018, despite some muddy conditions on the new road after it thawed out in the spring.

Versys in Tuk, young local given a photo op in the saddle, Arctic ocean in the background.

i've been to Inuvik, but the road to Tuk was still in the planning stage at the time.
onewizard and 16VGTIDave like this.
post #112 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
the radiators on these bikes have always been protected by a HD custom guard mounted on standoffs, and they have done a good job protecting the core...but not the end caps. no factory plastic in that area either to offer at least some protection, and since i had already dinged the top of the left side end cap, it was time to increase protection.

the engine covers are both vulnerable, let's add protection there too.

the project starts with a set of SW Motech bars for this generation Versys, the best in my opinion, and every one of these bikes has worn them. all the bars have been found used, and this set was only $40, some scratches in the powder coating, who cares, they get blasted and repainted.

as many may know, the bars use a simple U-bolt connection at the upper rear mount on the main frame tube, sorry, this mount never made much sense to me, and i wasn't having any this time around.

i formed a pair of saddles with the same ID as the OD of the frame tube, then cut four SS bolts to size, adding a little kicker so they fit the saddles better.

new saddle clamps for the Motechs, forget those U-bolts.

that pile of 3/4" mandrel bent tubing shown earlier contained the upper 3-axis bends and lower 2-axis bends that are extensions added to the Motech guard tubing. the 3-axis tubing pieces are mirror image left and right, while the lower tubing extensions conform to the different protection needed on each side. the confined tubing spaces are filled with 11ga steel, cold formed and fully welded. the assembly is very strong.

painted and mounted...

chid, 16VGTIDave and sgtmango333 like this.
post #113 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
swung by over the weekend to help the other family fabricator get her work in the ground, actually only needed help with the heavy feeder pole which is set in concrete

splash of color for the garden, turned out pretty dog gone good.

onewizard and sgtmango333 like this.
post #114 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
THE KWIK MART KHRONICLES 96

I’d been runnin’ damn hard for 750 miles, as in damn hard in the worst sort of traffic, the high speed and low speed mix of vehicles with a speed differential of over 30mph, in other words, the kind of traffic that turns the merely crazed drivers into outright lunatics, danger everywhere. With 250 miles to go, I was feeling the strain, bone weary from head to toe, so when I passed a Sheetz sign, no question, time to stop, I needed fuel and coffee, both pretty bad.

I make a mistake every so often when I pick a place to stop, and I made a mistake today, bad timing. The Sheetz turned out to be three miles from the bottom of the ramp, and if I wanted Sheetz coffee, I didn’t want it anywhere near that bad. I blundered on, and finally found the place, and it was the least popular Sheetz I’d ever seen, a couple cars on one bank of islands, myself and another car on the opposite islands.

I was just about finished with the fuel when I sensed someone behind me, and I turned to find a goofy looking shirtless kid wearing homie shorts, mangy dog at his heel, trying to talk to me. I say trying because I still had ear plugs in, couldn’t hear a damn thing he was saying. He was dragging on a cigarette so hard that the tip was glowing, holy crap, which way is the freakin’ wind blowing?

No ignoring him, and I popped one earplug out in time to hear him say “…gas.”

When I said “Gas what?”, he said, “I’m outta gas, can you spare some gas money so we can get home?”, and he pointed to a subcompact car way at the other end of the islands, hipster girl had her butt parked on the fender, watching him.

I said “I’m broke myself, wish someone would buy me some gas, besides, that pack of Marlboros in your pocket is worth 50 miles of down the road gas money.”

He shrugged, smirked, raised his hands in the universal WTF gesture, but we both knew that he’d been busted. He turned away, assumed the woe-is-me posture, and headed to the cars at the other islands, maybe some sucker would bite over there.

I went in for my coffee, a three part mix of the blackest they had, and when I got to the register, the guy taking the money had on a uniform shirt with his name on it, and underneath it said “Manager”.

He said, “Nice day, hope you found everything great here.”
post #115 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
many Canucks have been following the manhunt for two murder suspects who have fled east from BC through AB, Sask, and into Manitoba where the RCMP thought they had them cornered way the heck up north near the end of the road at Gillum.

but now, a reported sighting of the pair at Kapuskasing in northern Ontario. as many forum old timers know, this is also the home of the forum's resident tech expert...Invader.

stay safe, my friend.
post #116 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
...but now, a reported sighting of the pair at Kapuskasing in northern Ontario. as many forum old timers know, this is also the home of the forum's resident tech expert...Invader.

stay safe, my friend.
The reported siting claims they were in a 'white car'. I am waiting to hear where they 'got' it, reports of more murders....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #117 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
BC murder suspects bodies found near the burned RAV4 and wrecked boat on the Nelson River. the RMCP claimed to have searched the area thoroughly previously, i guess they must need some better K-9s, ya know, dogs that are trained to detect dead bodies from a reasonable distance.

with the manhunt over, i suppose i should get back to work on the beast. i did start it the other day, still beastly, but the other fabricator is returning for a few days and might place a claim on the shop.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by jdrocks; 08-08-2019 at 10:58 AM.
post #118 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW - I hunted the Rockies in Alberta for many years, and IF I had to find a 'downed' critter, I would watch for birds circling somewhere, and usually that was where it was.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #119 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
headlight mount, horn mounts in there too with it's own little cutout...

16VGTIDave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode