The 2019 Versys - Page 4 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
so far, some photos and narrative on what to do and how to go about it on a V649 bike build, now a little glimpse at the flip side.

the 2012 EX650 parts bike is a new model with a completely new main harness arrangement, all the important connections were shuffled around. i was no stranger to moto wiring, had been into the main harnesses on motos previously to both repair and modify them, no problem.

i had built main wire harnesses for heavy equipment back in one summer of my school boy years, and one of the things i remember about how they were put together was the insistence on meticulous organization, no splices, no crossed wires, everything bundled and wrapped with precision. it took some thought and planning, the foreman inspected every harness before it was hooked up to a test bed, any screwups and y'all were lookin' for a job.

in contrast, the main harness on the ER6 motos looks like it was assembled by a recalcitrant child with an uncorrected vision problem. the only criteria seems to be getting electricity from A to B, don't care how, just get it there. it gets wrapped anyway, nobody will ever see the mess.

looks more like weird macrame than what a main harness should look like...

concealed splices everywhere, sometimes it looked like a spool end splices...

i had extra connectors, plus extra wire, and a very meticulous approach...

to summarize, the motor would start instantly, idled fine, but had a miss off idle. threw no codes, and after checking every possible source of the miss multiple times, my work-of-art main harness suddenly came up missing, i didn't call the cops.
16VGTIDave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:02 AM

Loom of Doom ...
post #63 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecko View Post

Loom of Doom ...
ya mean, like, looming disaster.

i usually have my hands on stuff that works, and works well...but not this time, no matter how meticulous the process.

post #64 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I doubt very much anything I just said you don't already know...
actually, i know that what you just stated is inaccurate.

swap a whole bunch of these ptwin motors, main harnesses, ECUs, sensors, relays, and so on from from a variety of years and models across the ER6 platform, then come back with some info the forum can trust.

there are electrical parts on these ER6 bikes that are just plug and play, sometimes it doesn't matter where they came from, and i couldn't say for certain if asked. the bikes run beautifully.

even if you had said that parts could only be swapped within the same generation of moto, better, but still not accurate.

also, no scrap wire here, you don't discard wire that has Kawasaki color coding.
onewizard and 16VGTIDave like this.

Last edited by jdrocks; 04-09-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #65 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
actually, i know that what you just stated is inaccurate.

swap a whole bunch of these ptwin motors, main harnesses, ECUs, sensors, relays, and so on from from a variety of years and models across the ER6 platform, then come back with some info the forum can trust.

there are electrical parts on these ER6 bikes that are just plug and play, sometimes it doesn't matter where they came from, and i couldn't say for certain if asked. the bikes run beautifully.

even if you had said that parts could only be swapped within the same generation of moto, better, but still not accurate.

also, no scrap wire here, you don't discard wire that has Kawasaki color coding.
My Bad, I know Kawasaki doesn't go making rotation sensors or camshaft position sensors for each model of bike ,they use whatever they have on as many bikes as possible. You mentioned my work-of-art main harness suddenly came up missing,, a mistake on my part assuming you had a problem. I thought I could help, again my mistake. As to the scrap wire, that was a joke, I have several 1000 feet of twisted 2, 3 & 4 conductor, also lots of high temperature wire , well lots of 12 to 20 Gauge colour coded wire. FYI a good example of wiring mistake, and it is on all Kawaski 650 models from 2006 to 2015, the headlight relay circuit can be brought on by a well charged battery , even when the 3 phase connector from the stator is disconnected, I say a flaw, because the design is to bring the headlight on once the stator outputs power, so having a headlight on one would assume the charging system is working. That is why I recommend having a voltage indicator on the bike.

FYI I will delete this post in a couple days, just to keep the clutter down.
post #66 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
...they use whatever they have on as many bikes as possible...
Kawasaki uses parts off the shelf up until the last second before a system redesign precludes use. the ER6 platform was introduced in 2006, and there are parts from that bike that will still fit a 2019.

ok, 2006 for an ER6F (Ninja), then 2007 for the Versys (2008 in the States). when i said in 2008 that i could turn an ER6F into a Versys in an hour or two, there were no believers found here. it became a show-and-tell type deal, the entire ER6 lineup is one big swap-appaloosa. use caution in stating what swaps, or what doesn't.

swap-appaloosa ER6F/Versys that went to Deadhorse 10 years ago, hit by truck in Montana when in bound...

my custom harness has a gremlin, and became the front half of an R&R operation...so yeah, the POS went missing. i haven't notified the authorities.
16VGTIDave likes this.

Last edited by jdrocks; 04-09-2019 at 08:50 PM.
post #67 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
the brake pedal and shifter have been routinely modified on these bikes, and the latest is no different. inconvenient on the left, and in my view, both inconvenient and dangerous on the right. riders who gear up with a dedicated heavy duty boot would have better insight on the issues than those who do not use this type of footwear.

besides being larger, the ends on both sides are now folding, a very nice feature if the moto ends up on the ground, not that i would have much experience flopping these bikes all over North America. folding in rather than snagging might be the difference between riding or walking...

the brake pedal gets a folding end salvaged from a right side KLR250 footrest...

while the shifter is lengthened 25mm and gets the folding end salvaged from a KLR650 shifter...

with attention to getting the new folding ends correctly positioned, the ends are welded to the originals, easy swaps which yield benefits...

billet SS footrests from Fastway are added at the same time. expensive if purchased new, but i've always been able to find a used set for cheap money. often found with the 10mm pin insert, these can be carefully drilled to fit the 12mm pin used on the Versys brackets...

onewizard, chid and 16VGTIDave like this.
post #68 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
this moto has an extended swingarm which automatically mean a new longer than standard chain. too bad, the OEM chain from the 2012 parts bike only had 1800 miles on it, i would have re-used it if i could.

new quality X ring chain, better change the drive sprocket also, i'll keep the original 1800 mile sprocket as a spare. changing out the original sprocket on these ER6 ptwin has been the subject of near endless discussion on the ER6 based forums, oil and tire threads come to mind.

yeah, that sprocket nut can be stuck on there, sometimes i think it's the actual torque applied at assembly, sometimes i think it's some weird JIS thread locker. you don't want to damage the moto, or hurt yourself removing the damn thing, both can happen.

i've encountered sprocket nuts on these ptwins that i estimate took torque north of 750# to break the nut free, good luck. i don't have an impact with that kind of rating, so i've always removed the nut by hand through various methods, always successful, but not without occasional unnecessary drama...like the time i split a good quality deep reach socket near in half. the heck with that nonsense, and for the cost of replacing that socket, i went a different direction.

first off, i sourced a chineseum heavy wall impact socket, 6pt deep reach, in 1 1/16 imperial, it's a tighter fit than 27mm, trust me. this socket is cheap, and no it's not a one use tool for the box, it also happens to be the perfect wheel bearing driver for your ER6 bike.

this...

a good quality breaker bar is also required, choose carefully, y'all don't want that bar to come unglued when ya load it up with hundreds of pounds of torque, there can be consequences. forget that ratchet.

got the socket, got the bar, how do you stop the sprocket rotation. simplify your moto maintenance life, get this little tool, it works with all your motos, not just the Versys...

archive photo, i use a short section of square tube on the lower leg to protect the swingarm chain guide...

back to the sprocket on the 2012 cop motor. i got the sprocket stuff tool, socket, and bar out of the box, let's swap this thing. lock tab flattened, everything else in place, except i found 5# of torque on the nut, not 500#. yup, the nut was next to finger tight right from the factory, WTF, never have seen anything like this before. nobody had touched the nut since the motor had been assembled...

my bikes are all glued and torqued, but i have to admit, i never would have thought to check that nut.
post #69 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:32 PM

Did you install the harness?
What's your strategy (order) to install all the parts?
frame-fork-wheels-brakes-engine-harness-chain-?

Versys 2015 Green
post #70 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
Did you install the harness?
What's your strategy (order) to install all the parts?
frame-fork-wheels-brakes-engine-harness-chain-?
the motor was running with my custom harness, but had a miss off idle, so i tore it all apart again. build the roller, install motor, then everything that attaches to the motor, move forward from there. it's a big freakin' mashup of parts, just slam it together. i have no idea why anyone would think these bikes are complicated in any way, 'cause they ain't.

initially there's a little pain if ya find you have to backtrack, but no piece of the work takes very long.
chid and 16VGTIDave like this.
post #71 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
besides the riders that use their Versys strictly on paved roads, there are other riders running their Versys motos off pavement, gravel roads, or whatever. plenty to see out there, and even the box stock Versys has some capabilities allowing a rider to pursue off pavement adventure. despite the naysayers, the stock suspended Versys with the OEM 17/17 wheel set has been some amazing places, so the arguments about what the bike can't do have been settled, the freakin' case is closed. y'all can read the reports, view the photos, while sipping that latte in Starbuckistan.

want to pack up and head out, yeehaw, but hold up a sec, your 1st or 2nd generation bike lacks air filtration, better fix it first. in my view, the OEM air filter is so inadequate that i wouldn't even rely on it for street use. off pavement, never. there have been a number of reports of these ptwin motors ingesting enough dust on a one day ride to trash it, no compression.

the 2015 Versys got a new airbox and an upgraded filter, so this discussion is about the 2007-14 models.

split airbox, meaning ya can take it apart, check everything on the inside, clean as required. many riders have serviced the air filter, but have never opened the box...

crappy OEM filter, SS screen with 3mm foam filter, and foam perimeter seal. you might be surprised to see what gets past this junk filter...

my solution to the filter problem has been to install a pair of Uni double element angled pod filters on the throttle body runners inside the airbox. the first step is to trim the top of the runner so that the clamp on the pod filter will fit. easily done with a Dremel, stock runner left, trimmed runner right...

it does not look like these 4' filters will fit inside the airbox, rest assured that they do...

pod filters installed, now some peace of mind, but let's say you just made a big run out and back to somewhere, you still need to check that air box as part of the big ride bike check and service. split the airbox, pod filters still look good, but what's all that junk behind the primary filter, yeah, that stuff that would have been sucked into the throttle bodies without the pods...

i use K&N filter oil on the pods and don't worry much about over oiling the foam. the excess oil seems to coat the inside of the airbox downstream of the OEM filter so that debris in this area sticks to the oiled surface...

i've run the pods on 10,000 plus miles of dusty gravel, no motor problems, but i think i would install them even if i planned to stay on pavement. it's what's called cheap insurance.
post #72 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Hey JD,

I run my mk1 on gravel roads as well, not to the same extend as you, but i do.
Standard oem or hiflo filter with NoToil.
I was wondering about filtration, i remembered your old post about these pods so great timing.
Which pods are you using? I see few that are 15* angled and 4" lenght.
https://unifilter.com/online-catalog...n-air-filters/

Also, any issue with fuel/air mix by adding another layer of restriction? .. lower mileage, running rich etc.
post #73 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Which pods are you using?

Also, any issue with fuel/air mix by adding another layer of restriction? .. lower mileage, running rich etc.
sorry, inadvertently left out the Uni ID, the pod filters are the Uni dual layer angled pod 4200AST, which is the 4" tall with the 2" inlet. these filters have an internal wire coil so they can slightly compress and still hold their shape inside the airbox. trim the the runners, other than that, perfect fit.

these are very inexpensive filters, widely available online. think about that motor ingesting a bunch of dust, there are consequences. i have never seen anything at all in the throttle bodies after using these filters, they look factory new and clean.

i've had these installed on 4 bikes, butt-dyno says no loss of performance, the bikes run great.
post #74 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:43 AM

Thank you JD. Pods ordered.
How’s the build going?
Popcorn ready for another chapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #75 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Pods ordered...
you'll find the installation very easy. to trim the runner, i use the small 1/2" drum sander accessory for a Dremel in a medium grit. use care trimming the material, make multiple passes, don't try to get it all at once. you're looking for a nice smooth surface when you're done...as in the photo.

more build chapters when i get a chance, the new Versys moto is a freakin' beast.
post #76 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

High Flow HFA 2610

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
you'll find the installation very easy. to trim the runner, i use the small 1/2" drum sander accessory for a Dremel in a medium grit. use care trimming the material, make multiple passes, don't try to get it all at once. you're looking for a nice smooth surface when you're done...as in the photo.

more build chapters when i get a chance, the new Versys moto is a freakin' beast.
So a bit of advice, looked at a source for the UP-4200AST filter in Ontario, need to wait until holidays over, I did find Fortnine stocking the Hi Flo HFA2610 for $14 plus tax Canadian. The 2015 air filter is throw away, however it is vastly improved over the MK-1 & MK-2, the fact you state about the grit is 100% good advice. So far I can get the UP-4200AST through amazon.ca for $30 each plus tax. Since the air box has changed for the 2015, I wonder if the uni filters would fit and if there is a advantage over the Hi Flow.
post #77 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
...So far I can get the UP-4200AST through amazon.ca for $30 each plus tax.

Since the air box has changed for the 2015, I wonder if the uni filters would fit and if there is a advantage over the Hi Flow.
UP4200AST is about $16USD shipped in the States the last time i looked, so cheap that there is no excuse not to install them if the rider owns the gen 1 or 2 moto.

the 2015+ Versys got the 2012+ EX650 airbox and filter, or at least it appears the same, i haven't bothered to check any part numbers or do any other investigation.

2012 EX650 filter/airbox from the very low mile parts bike...

the 4200AST doesn't fit this airbox, so i didn't use it with my 2012 cop motor, instead using the split airbox from the earlier ER6 motos which bolts right up. like i said earlier, swap city.

if i had a 2015 Versys, i'd be looking for supplementary air filtration that fits that airbox.
onewizard and Fastoman like this.
post #78 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
THE KWIK MART KRONICLES 86

At first I thought the gate was just closed, nope, big ass industrial padlock on the damn thing. No ride-around, I’d have to backtrack out.

I’ll say right now, I got out of there a hellofva lot faster than when I went in, so if you happen to like those soaring exhaust notes, well, I was makin’ ‘em as I rode the wrong damn direction. Plan B, ain’t no Plan B, I’d need to improvise, and suddenly the day became unruly.

Blocked on the east, Quebec only a few miles north, forget freakin’ west, that leaves south, and I wasn’t finding any gyroscopic enlightenment in that selection either, heck, didn’t I just come from there? Ornery demons were stirring, but when I stopped for fuel, the first person I saw was a gorgeous French girl wearing Rouge Pur Couture in “Red Alert”, while the first person I met was an old Maine guy who asked “Where you headed?” Well, it’s like this….

I’d been distracted by Miss Red Alert, flimsy thigh-high summer dress courtesy of a fashion house I couldn’t immediately identify, freakin’ legs everywhere, lordy, but she left for Quebec, so I wandered inside and bought a Maine road map. Qwikmarts are a never ending gift for the observant.

There was nothing shown on the map that got me west to east, and pavement looked like a 200 mile detour, but that’s when I met my new Maine friend. I hadn’t hit the panic button just yet, but if I had, this is the type of guy you would want to show up. When I named the road, then remarked that I’d found a gate at the 7 mile, he said “Yeah, that gate is exactly 7 miles in”, now he knew I wasn’t just talkin’ crap.

He went on to explain that there was another series of west-to-east roads farther north that would get me to where I wanted to go, “I’ll show you”, and he marched into the quikmart, picked up a Maine Gazette off the rack, flipped to the right page, “Here, look”, and I saw a spaghetti network of logging roads. If connected, they would get me east, big emphasis on the “if”. I got out my notebook, jotted down some names and landmarks, thanked him several times over, and I was headed back north, my first road was not much more than 8 or10 miles below the border.

Halfway back north to my new road, I find my Maine friend’s pickup in my mirrors, yup, he was following me to make sure I didn’t miss the turn, and when I did turn, he pulled along side to wish me luck and say goodbye, big smile, a twinkle in his eyes. Last night I was fed a darn good meal, today I got some personalized assistance, it ain’t a coincidence folks, it’s Maine.

I sat there for a minute, I needed to gather myself in anticipation of what I’d find, and I don’t mind sayin’ it. It’s a damn long way across, and as I’ve already mentioned, I don’t know diddly about these roads, and now even less about this route which was not loaded on the GPS. My minute was up, I had momentum again, still believed in my own magic, and just then decided the diddly that crossed my mind earlier must be subliminal Bo Diddley, and I launched east on rough gravel, singing way off key, but loudly…heck, I might be 70, but I still had some wicked thoughts about that little Red Alert thing…

I walk forty-seven miles of barbed wire
I use a cobra snake for a necktie
I got a brand new house on the roadside
Made from rattlesnake hide
I got a brand new chimney made on top
Made out of a human skull
Now come on take a ride with me, Miss Red
And tell me, who do you love?

…and it was a long damn time before I saw pavement again.
16VGTIDave and sgtmango333 like this.
post #79 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i've never cared for the selection of aftermarket luggage racks available for the ER6 models, including the Versys. too light construction, pannier orientation conflicting with the lines of the moto, too far back, and way too far out. sorry, ain't going to dance with a fat butt girl.

yeah, i get that some of the bracket design has to do with making room for a pillion, toss that one out, i never carry a passenger. hard or soft luggage, i'll wang together my own mounts that can carry either. lately, i've been running Wolfman Expeditions, and haven't had a reason to change.

Berg Briggs was the guy who made the luggage racks for Wolfman, had his own fabrication company, and the availability of the racks for almost all the popular adventure travel bikes is what put Wolfman on the map. when Briggs decided that he had more interesting things to do with his life, i called him, had a long conversation, and he sent me a couple sets of his 2nd generation hoops. he never made mounts for the Versys, no matter, i intended to make my own.

Briggs' 2nd generation hoops...

i added a large center section as part of the mounting system, and to provide a surface for a future fuel or water can mount...

then it's time to fabricate the rest of the mount utilizing the existing mounts for the tail rack and subframe struts. there is some welding in place, otherwise it's near impossible to achieve symmetry with the mounts parallel in all planes. the large diameter hole in one of the fabricated pieces is for a 50mm LED running light. the bracket fabrication is not hard work so much as it is exacting work. the build jig is the bike itself...

the original cross brace wasn't tight enough to the underside of the subframe, so a new brace was fabbed...

shop built pannier mounts, parallel to the subframe lines, and tucked in tight with only 20mm between the bike and the mount. the mounts are rock solid...

post #80 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
THE KWIK MART KHRONICLES 87

This past Friday evening I was standing in line behind Ian Anderson at the Qwik Mart, ol' Jethro Tull hadn't changed even a little bit since about 1972, hair and beard styled by a seriously hallucinogenic artist-type, wearing mis-matched plaids and a tie dyed T-shirt. My man had a toe sticking out of a hole in his right shoe, and incongruently, in sort of an off key note, had a newish Pokemon tat on his neck at the jaw line.

Decades of debauchery had followed him here, his life as faded to gray as the plaids, and now his urgent mission was a 32oz can of beer coupled with a Reese's peanut butter. The place was busy, the cashier girls harried, and Jethro was F-bombing away sotto voce, although I did hear the word "wallet" more than once. He was swatting at all his pockets, pants and jacket, back and forth, no end in sight.

The cashier happened to be a country girl, I'd seen her before at this joint, wide through the shoulders, and out-weighed Jethro by a factor of twice over. No nonsense, she'd seen her share of drunks in front of the register, and had prevailed even if she had never considered patience particularly virtuous. She had him in the cross hairs long before he got to the register, couldn't miss him actually, heck, I've seen less jittery activity from someone standing on a fire ant mound.

She asked "Can I help you, Sir?", to which Jethro said "Can't find my ****ing wallet, must have lost it somewhere."

I saw the blood rise right from her toes, the man had cussed right in her face, way out of bounds in eastern Virginia, and her right hand came across the counter in a blur of motion. Instead of busting Jethro's nose with a beauty of a right cross, she checked up, snatching something out of his left hand quick as a pick pocket..."This it?"

That's right folks, Jethro's wallet had been in his left hand the whole time, hidden behind the beer can he was holding. He was still looking a little stunned when she snaked a bill out of his wallet, rang things up, then handed him his wallet and change. Her eyes said it all, a serious get-gone message, risky to ignore.

I got a crooked smile when I said "Interesting evening", and she replied "Ain't they all".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode