RD400 forum? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 1 Post By turn8a
  • 1 Post By turn8a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

RD400 forum?

Can anyone recommend a decent RD400 discussion forum? I just bought one and it is my 8th RD and/or RZ. This one is a keeper as is my Versys 650 LT!

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 04:41 PM

Don't know of a good forum, but it sure brings back good memories of my 73 RD350! With expansion chambers and Koni shocks, I could beat 750 Honda's until top end. Of course I removed the center stand for ground clearance (I kept wearing out footpegs)

This not mine, but same color, similar expansion chambers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikepics-2374601-984.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	160205  
Squishman likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 06:27 PM

are you on www.rzrd500.com forum? I have 2 rz350's sitting in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	160207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	160209  
Squishman likes this.

Last edited by turn8a; 12-24-2018 at 06:48 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Bob, I read your post on my email, and in my mind I knew it was a purple RD350. And yep... purple! I am going to get those heads. I had them on one of my early RD400's.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota

Last edited by Squishman; 12-24-2018 at 07:10 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
are you on www.rzrd500.com forum? I have 2 rz350's sitting in the garage.
Nope. I was not aware of it. It looks like it is not really for RD400's or is it?

My last RZ was around the year 2000. My last RD was a Daytona Special in about 1983 that I shoulda kept, obviously!
So excited to have this great project. The previous owner did some things on it to give me a head start.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Looks like I found one. Aircooledclub forum. I have a different question maybe someone can help with though. I will make this a months-long project, maybe longer. I live in a brand-new mobile home that has a pretty large living room. Is it ok to bring it inside for several months? I mean do I have to worry about toxic fumes, etc. for me and my dogs? I live alone, so I do not have to discuss this with a spouse. ha. I have rubber mats, etc to keep the floor clean. If I drained the carbs and kept the tank in my shed is that really all I need to do to make it safe for indoors? No real room in the shed to work on it. I'd have to wait until spring as my Versys lives in the shed all winter.
Could I drain the tank of gas let it dry out, then periodically spray WD40 inside? Would that be good, or still too fumy?
Are these dumb questions? ha. I am excited to work on it and it would not be seriously in the way.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Bob... I guess that looks red. Not so purple.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
Bob... I guess that looks red. Not so purple.
Yep, she was red. Amazing wheelies!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Looks like I found one. Aircooledclub forum. I have a different question maybe someone can help with though. I will make this a months-long project, maybe longer. I live in a brand-new mobile home that has a pretty large living room. Is it ok to bring it inside for several months? I mean do I have to worry about toxic fumes, etc. for me and my dogs? I live alone, so I do not have to discuss this with a spouse. ha. I have rubber mats, etc to keep the floor clean. If I drained the carbs and kept the tank in my shed is that really all I need to do to make it safe for indoors? No real room in the shed to work on it. I'd have to wait until spring as my Versys lives in the shed all winter.
Could I drain the tank of gas let it dry out, then periodically spray WD40 inside? Would that be good, or still too fumy?
Are these dumb questions? ha. I am excited to work on it and it would not be seriously in the way.
I had a rd400 daytona special bought it new in 1979. It lost a battle with a car when the driver made a left turn in front of me . I use to bring motorcycles in my house to work on them.The only toxic fumes I worried about was the wife. You should be fine especially if you take the tank off.

some parts
www.spec2.com
www.partsnmore.com
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by turn8a; 12-25-2018 at 05:37 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Well, I guess I am a little too giddy to get started on the project. I will not bring it into the house. I'll work on it in the shed in the spring. It was kind of a lame idea.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I WOULD remove the tank, fill it w/ gas and STABIL, store it in the shed, and drain the carbs. I used to bring my Triumph 650 into the house, down the basement, and work on it over the winter (tank OFF!).

Quote:
Well, I guess I am a little too giddy to get started on the project. I will not bring it into the house. I'll work on it in the shed in the spring. It was kind of a lame idea.
I don't think it's a "lame idea". Go for it, CAREFULLY!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode