New Triumph Speed Twin - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
New Triumph Speed Twin

Just found this. At first sight, it looks like a good, fun, sporting ride.

The 2019 Triumph Speed Twin revealed: specs and images | Bike EXIF
quexpress and Tcruarceri like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Nice, but too much power for a naked upright bike IMO. At least with the Thruxton you are leaning into the wind.

I'd much prefer a '14 Scrambler with the air cooled 270 degree crank engine.

Personally I don't understand the need for more power. The speed limits on the roads hasn't increased. Sure, people have gotten heavier so there is that.

Improvements in frame technology and suspension and braking are the important factors IMO.

But, I guess I do not represent the typical American male motorcycle buyer.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Nice, but too much power for a naked upright bike IMO.

Personally I don't understand the need for more power.
A few needs:

Need for speed. Adrenalin junkies need a fix. Gotta get my arms stretched. Smoke that tire. Lift that front wheel. My teeth need a few more bugs in em...Lol.

While I am quite happy with my little V-650 there are times I do miss the power of a bigger bike. Many of those I listed above.
Smiley likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
A few needs:

Need for speed. Adrenalin junkies need a fix. Gotta get my arms stretched. Smoke that tire. Lift that front wheel. My teeth need a few more bugs in em...Lol.

While I am quite happy with my little V-650 there are times I do miss the power of a bigger bike. Many of those I listed above.

Swap out those sprockets. That will get you all the items you listed while keeping your speeds within the legal limits.

I never experienced the available HP on the majority of my larger displacement bikes except in a few second spurts because that is all it took to get to "go directly to jail" speeds.

Seems like you have to pay for the power to get the rest of the refinements I mentioned in my post though so I guess that is the trade-off.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I too would like a bit more power. On a naked bike, the power is less likely to result in very high speed, at least it is for me. Way different with a full fairing and decent screen.

My Concours, with a Rifle screen, had the best wind protection of any bike I've owned. That factor, plus the approximately 100 HP, found me cruising at speeds that could cost me my license.

That and the weight were the reason I got a Versys. Slows me down and still has great handling, plus it's a bike that I can push around my garage without fear of dropping it. I needed an extra person to help me push the Connie up the ramp onto my bike lift for maintenance.

All considered I would still like to own the new Speed Twin. I love the looks of the Thruxton but the forward leaning riding position would have my old bones screaming in very short order.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 03:40 PM

The places I ride I don't see the Poe very often and yes I tend to ride fairly fast.

Hard to get the racer out of the man.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
The ORIGINAL "SPEED TWIN" was a 500cc bike w/ about 30 hp, then the 650cc version Bonneville had 40 hp, weighing an advertised 390 pounds, give-or-take a few.

Give us LIGHT WEIGHT, NOT more unusable power! (My humble opinion....)

Fastoman and jaaklucas like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
The places I ride I don't see the Poe very often and yes I tend to ride fairly fast.

Hard to get the racer out of the man.
Age and eyesight have tempered my fast riding but the urge still remains.

A law-abiding rider in town, but on select local roads with tasty curves that I know well, that urge is satisfied. Keep the revs on the boil, engine braking and throttle, shift body and, on a good day, smooth, in synch.

If the desire to see what your V can do standing start to top end, there is a local road for that too, given the time of day and weather.

Local knowledge is the best. Ride within your limits.
hawkerjet likes this.

Last edited by Smiley; 12-09-2018 at 05:07 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
...If the desire to see what your V can do standing start to top end, there is a local road for that too, given the time of day and weather....
Smiley - so WHAT is the top speed? How LONG to get there?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Nice, but too much power for a naked upright bike IMO. At least with the Thruxton you are leaning into the wind.

I'd much prefer a '14 Scrambler with the air cooled 270 degree crank engine.

Personally I don't understand the need for more power. The speed limits on the roads hasn't increased. Sure, people have gotten heavier so there is that.

Improvements in frame technology and suspension and braking are the important factors IMO.

But, I guess I do not represent the typical American male motorcycle buyer.

This begs the question, what's need got to do with it?

Do we even really need a motorcycle? My answer is yes, BTW.

sköl
Smiley likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Smiley - so WHAT is the top speed? How LONG to get there?

Not that I'd admit it but my alter ego told me that he has had my V up to just shy of 190 kph (118mph). Not sure how long it took me- I mean him- but it was accomplished on a very slightly downward sloping two-kilometre stretch of road with no wind, 16 tooth front sprocket, no bags. In full riding gear, I weigh about 190-195 depending on burrito intake.

It's been said that the V speedometer is quite close to accurate with 16 tooth front, but I don't have GPS to confirm. It's also a bit difficult to read the speedo with chin bar of the helmet on the gas tank, but I- I mean he- has seen that several times on two different roads.

Best to leave it in 5th gear to around 10K rpm. There might have been a bit more but a distant crossroad demands shutting down for safety.

Anybody else have a top end report?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Supposedly they can just make it past the 200kmh mark. I'll find out next Spring.

No Video

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Given enough road and proper conditions, it just may make that 200kph and more (true speed, not indicated) but I sure wouldn't attempt it on the highway in that video with traffic!

Having bigger balls than brains is not the ideal combo.
Glenn21 likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 04:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Given enough road and proper conditions, it just may make that 200kph and more (true speed, not indicated) but I sure wouldn't attempt it on the highway in that video with traffic!

Having bigger balls than brains is not the ideal combo.
Agreed! There is a time and a place to perform certain.. experiments.

I'm going to sell my C14, I find it way too easy to get into those silly speeds with it.

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Triumph should have made the original 500 as a re-birth of the good old days of big bike.
fasteddiecopeman likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:06 PM

One of the car magazine writers (sorry don't recall which one) writes about the "Turbo Hyabusa Effect". Basically, an addiction to power if not sheer speed.

The Versys would be an ideal motorbike with 90 BHP and slimmed by 20 kg. It's pretty good as it is but, yes, more power would be better.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Im with Eddie,I would be interested in spending money to shed weight.How many more HP would you gain by dropping 150 lbs from a 500 lb motorcycle? If you look at the world of pedal bicycles you can see what modern, lightweight components can do for ease of power. Cars nowadays weigh half of what they did in the all iron age, not that long ago. Motorcycles are sold as sexy and horsepower is what sells them, thats where their engineering dollars go. Be interesting to see what the future holds with stuff like Graphene coming down the pipe.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

I just read the Revzilla reviews of the new Triumph 1200 Scramblers, XC and XE.

Seem to be VG, and look great TOO!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A very short video review of new Scrambler XE "...much better off-road than the BMW R1200 GS. It's a true scrambler."

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
This begs the question, what's need got to do with it?

Do we even really need a motorcycle? My answer is yes, BTW.

sköl

It is really a psychological question.

If the manufacturers gave us upgraded suspension, frame, brakes, wheels, etc. in a lighter package that cost 30% more but kept the power the same, would the masses buy it?

Makes one think that manufacturer marketing folks think all we care about is more power.

Of course motojournalists feed the fire and desire for more power.

Oh, and I don't NEED a motorcycle. It is definitely a want. Just like I don't need any vehicle more than a budget commuter. I find it sad when people get sucked in by their desires and become enslaved by monthly payments.

The son of a coworker got sucked into buying a fancy new truck that he quickly realized he couldn't afford once he found out what is monthly insurance and registration payments would be on top of the vehicle payment. He would be working to make payments and could only afford to go to work and back home. Of course, my coworker bailed him out by switching trucks with him and now my coworker has a truck he is paying for that he doesn't really want. This happens every day here in the US with our slick advertising and marketing concepts designed to take advantage of people.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode