New to me bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

4Likes
  • 4 Post By jpd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
New to me bike

I found this 10 miles from home. I had to have it. It is a 1982 GPZ 550 that has been repainted in new camaro green. It started right up and has new tires and wheels. There are a few thing not the way I would like them but it will give me a chance to play with it.

I had a 1980 and 1982 KZ550. The first I rode 27,000 miles and the second for 80,000 miles. This one will be mostly just to have it.

The seller had a 1979 KZ650 also. 2 of my buddies had that bike. Almost had to snag them both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_093347_resized_2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	159609   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_093403_resized_2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	159611  

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Looks like it's in great shape for the year. Nice find!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My first Kawasaki was a brand new 1982 GPz750 R-1. I've been a Kawi guy ever since and love the entire GPz line. Nice bike!

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
A friend had, and RODE, a GPz550 across Canada from Montreal to Vancouver back around the early '80s.

A VERY pretty m'cycle!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Too bad it has that sticker on the forks. Ruins the look. Glad I live in a free state. LOL!

My roommate had the KZ650 while I had the XS750. We swapped bikes for a ride and I couldn't wait to swap back. That KZ just didn't handle for crap compared to my XS750 and another friends GS750. Turned me off of Kawasaki until 2006 when I bough the '01 Voyager XII.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
One of my all time favorite bikes was my 1983 GPz1100 (world's fastest bike at the time). It really had incredible torque, and you had to make sure you were headed straight before getting on the throttle coming out of turns! Instead of being wheelie prone in the lower gears, it would break the rear tire loose without much effort. It was a handful launching it without smoking the tire in first AND second; when it finally hooked up, that's when the front wheel would come up. I loved how it looked and it was a real head turner. It really was a badass bike!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
jpd

Garage
I wasn't looking for another bike. It was sitting next to the road so I took the wife and our son to look at it. Nostalgia struck and that was that. The original color would have been red. The guy I got it from must fix up bikes and resell them. He gave me the original rear fender and I have ebay a brake/tail light assy. I still need to find signal lights and miscellaneous other items.
Yes the sticker on the forks is ugly but that is how VA does its inspection stickers.
I remember when I got the 1980 KZ 550 thinking how big it was. Now I am looking at it and thinking man those tires are small and will this tank hold enough gas to go around the block.

Jeff

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:22 AM

Nice!

My first bike was a 1982 KZ550. I had it for 10 years. Lots of fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode