Tested a 2019 BMW F850GS.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

5Likes
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By asphaltaddict33
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Tested a 2019 BMW F850GS....

Yesterday I went to a BMW demo ride, hoping to try-out an F850GS, and started a 25 minute ride at just after 1600. Here are a few observations:

compared w/ the F800GS and F700GS that I tried out before buying my first V650 (back in '08), where I felt that the 800 and 700 were NOT as good as the V650, thus influencing my decision to buy BIG RED, THIS time I have to say I was VERY impressed w/ the Beemer.

It's a TOTALLY new engine w/ a 270 degree crank, smooth and powerful, and the gas tank is where its SUPPOSED to be - in front of you. There's a TFT color display (VERY nice!), and it's geared 14% higher than is the V650 - 80 mph @ 5,000rpm vs 70 mph in the V. There are many other positives for the BMW, but NOW for a BIG negative:

before taxes it was OVER $17,000 - about what I paid for BOTH my '08 and my '15 TOGETHER, from the dealers. I went onto their (BMW) site to see if I remembered the co$t$ correctly. List for the F850GS shows as about $13,xxx but I could NOT get it to "show" w/out the PREMIUM PACKAGE, bringing it to $16,6xx.

I BELIEVE I'll stay w/ BIG RED and the GREEN HORNET TOO.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-05-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 11:26 AM

Good grief that price is bonkers. There are gonna be H2 SX models depreciating to that price soon

Great review on the bike. Good to hear BMW is making better bikes that dont suck to ride, but I detest that they are applying the same 'bigger is better' philosophy to developing bikes as they have to autos. The new 850GS has 8lbs in weight over a 2005 1200GS; now they are great at fitting a lot into a 500lbs package, I'm not disparaging BMWs I have owned 3. I am more lamenting the opportunity they missed by not making their middle GS bike a true middle-weight offroad adventure machine.
Beezerboy likes this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 12:48 PM

Garage
when they were first announced the price was going to be something like 8k. I said sign me up, but by the time they hit the floor in 08(?) they were over 10.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...before taxes it was OVER $17,000 - about what I paid for BOTH my '08 and my '15 TOGETHER, from the dealers. I went onto their (BMW) site to see if I remembered the co$t$ correctly. List for the F850GS shows as about $13,xxx but I could NOT get it to "show" w/out the PREMIUM PACKAGE, bringing it to $16,6xx.

I BELIEVE I'll stay w/ BIG RED and the GREEN HORNET TOO.

Yes - the Beemer F850GS is GOOD..., but it AIN'T TWICE AS GOOD as my "old Faithfulls", BIG RED and the GREEN HORNET TOO....

Beezerboy likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 05:57 PM

For the money, the versys can't be beat. There are bikes that are better, but they cost way more. Can't see me selling my versys any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode