KLR 650 discontinued - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

KLR 650 discontinued

KLR is done, and no 2019 model. This article speculates that the KLR will be replaced by a Versys 650 X. More of a off road version of the V650.

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/news...continued-2019
Avande and StormRider like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 11:23 AM

Wow! Was thinking about selling the FZ6 for a cruiser or KLR650 and here we are!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 01:14 PM

This has nothing to do with an off-road version of the Versys 650 but I read an article the other day that was one writers opinion of the "best" ten touring bikes in the US...........the Honda Gold Wing was on the top followed by the BMW 1600 and then down the line with HD's a Yamaha's, etc.... The last (10th) was the KLE650FF........Versys 650 LT. They pointed out that "touring" has many demands and one of them is curves which a light touring bike like the Versys handles very well.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 03:23 PM

i guess ill keep my 2011 now it's going to be a collectors item
AlaskaJeff likes this.

Living Large
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
This has nothing to do with an off-road version of the Versys 650 but I read an article the other day that was one writers opinion of the "best" ten touring bikes in the US...........the Honda Gold Wing was on the top followed by the BMW 1600 and then down the line with HD's a Yamaha's, etc.... The last (10th) was the KLE650FF........Versys 650 LT. They pointed out that "touring" has many demands and one of them is curves which a light touring bike like the Versys handles very well.
The Versys is such a dang good bike. Just read something about Ari Henning bought one for his personal bike. Zack Courts in his review basically said, he would buy one with his own money today and ride it across the country without question. I mean those two guys have been on EVERYTHING. That is high praise to hit your own pocket book for one.

Ill be interested to see what and if they do a 650 "off road" I mean we all know the carb is what killed the KLR. So Im kinda just imagining a KLR with an ninja motor.
Avande likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 05:23 PM

will be interesting to see the new presumably dual sport versys 650, but really sad to see the KLR canned. it's been around a long time, and an icon in its own right.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
will be interesting to see the new presumably dual sport versys 650, but really sad to see the KLR canned. it's been around a long time, and an icon in its own right.
Probably won't have to wait too long, the shows where they release new bikes are in Nov and Oct. So just around the corner anyway.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Probably won't have to wait too long, the shows where they release new bikes are in Nov and Oct. So just around the corner anyway.
Keep fingers crossed and lets see what Kawa has in store for 2019.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:11 PM

Versys X-400 would also make sense as a replacement to me, and is closer in weight to the KLR.

If they give whatever it is decent suspension then itll be tough resist. The Versys and KLR have lamentable suspension bits from the factory IMO

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Versys X-400 would also make sense as a replacement to me, and is closer in weight to the KLR.

If they give whatever it is decent suspension then itll be tough resist. The Versys and KLR have lamentable suspension bits from the factory IMO
The Kawasaki 400 engine IS the Kawasaki 650 engine with sleeves installed to reduce the bore. This means there is no weight, cost or size advantage with the 400 over the 650.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The Kawasaki 400 engine IS the Kawasaki 650 engine with sleeves installed to reduce the bore. This means there is no weight, cost or size advantage with the 400 over the 650.
Are you 100 percent sure on that? I know Kawasaki did that a few years ago for some non-US markets, but I thought the new 400 engine was an all new engine like the 300 engine before it.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:26 AM

Garage
I really enjoyed my '08 KLR 650. Just didn't feel like it had enough when I started doing more distance riding so I replaced it and the Ninja 650 with the Versys and the KLX250S. Wish I would have kept it because it was fully sorted and had every accessory imaginable installed by the doctor I bought it from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5941.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	158351   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3998sm.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	158353  
Avande likes this.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 09-24-2018 at 08:29 AM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
KLR is done, and no 2019 model. This article speculates that the KLR will be replaced by a Versys 650 X. More of a off road version of the V650.

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/news...continued-2019

Of course this could just be like the KLX250S that was absent from the lineup for a couple years and came back exactly the same except for fuel injection.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 09:06 AM

Garage
Need "Mind Blown" emoji. Wow, hope it's like the Yamaha 750 world raid or smaller Africa twin. Hope they do it right.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Of course this could just be like the KLX250S that was absent from the lineup for a couple years and came back exactly the same except for fuel injection.
A fuel injected KLR... you think they have their panties in a bunch over it not being produced anymore? Imagine if Kawasaki removed the good ole reliable carb from it

As long as there is gas in the tank, there is hope.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 09:23 AM

Garage
It is a 'new engine'

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Are you 100 percent sure on that? I know Kawasaki did that a few years ago for some non-US markets, but I thought the new 400 engine was an all new engine like the 300 engine before it.
According to a Cycle World article on the 2018 Ninja 400: "Kawasaki says the engine is a clean-sheet design."
Here's the article:
https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-kawa...-review#page-6

I'd sure like to see it put in the Versys X !!

Last edited by KnobbyGuy; 09-24-2018 at 09:26 AM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:41 PM

Garage
Those of us who own and love KLRs might want to consider stashing OEM parts. Soon's a model run ends, parts-wise you are down to what's on the shelf, and when that shelf runs low that's it. For example, I have a highly customized 2007 named Biffy Bullfrog. Biffy sports in the neighborhood of 58,000 miles on her clock. That's a helluva lot for a Kawi thumper made in Thailand. If I intend to keep her, I would be wise to stash a pair of fork seals, a 685 bore kit, maybe a Thermo-Bob ( about the only mod the PO missed ). I have probably cleaned out Biffy's carb eight or ten times; so I might be wise to stash a needle and float valve.

Things to think about.
asphaltaddict33 likes this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 05:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
Those of us who own and love KLRs might want to consider stashing OEM parts. Soon's a model run ends, parts-wise you are down to what's on the shelf, and when that shelf runs low that's it. For example, I have a highly customized 2007 named Biffy Bullfrog. Biffy sports in the neighborhood of 58,000 miles on her clock. That's a helluva lot for a Kawi thumper made in Thailand. If I intend to keep her, I would be wise to stash a pair of fork seals, a 685 bore kit, maybe a Thermo-Bob ( about the only mod the PO missed ). I have probably cleaned out Biffy's carb eight or ten times; so I might be wise to stash a needle and float valve.

Things to think about.
My '08 had a KLX650 carb needle in it. The KLX650 was only made in the early 90s. I don't think you will have a problem getting common parts and there were so many KLRs made that the aftermarket will still support it.
Avande likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...So Im kinda just imagining a KLR with an ninja motor.
There are 'build' stories of the KLRsys on ADV rider - V engine in the KLR ONLY adds 10 pounds, IF I remember correctly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Versys X-400 would also make sense as a replacement to me, and is closer in weight to the KLR....
When I had a KLR we went thru this "weight" thing on the KLR Forum, till some of us weighed our KLRs... - actually came in at about 417 pounds, close to the Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
...Biffy sports in the neighborhood of 58,000 miles on her clock. That's a helluva lot for a Kawi thumper made in Thailand. If I intend to keep her, I would be wise to stash a pair of fork seals, a 685 bore kit, maybe a Thermo-Bob....
FWIW - Bill Watson (watt-man) who makes the ThermoBob, has around 150,000 miles on HIS '04 KLR.
Kyle E likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FWIW - Bill Watson (watt-man) who makes the ThermoBob, has around 150,000 miles on HIS '04 KLR.
I knew a one-legged man.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode