My New To Me Interceptor - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

12Likes
  • 3 Post By Turk
  • 2 Post By mentolio
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By Turk
  • 1 Post By Turk
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My New To Me Interceptor

Picked up my new to me 2007 25th anniversary Interceptor this morning. Just beat the rain to get it home. All I could take were some lousy photos in my garage, the lighting is all kinds of bad for decent photos. I did get one nice one at the original owner's home.

Like I wrote in the other thread, the bike was a bit neglected for the past year, maybe two. The chain was literally orange colored from neglect. The first thing I did when I got it home was to degrease and then clean the chain. Needs an oil change asap and most likely new plugs. The motor runs a little rough but I think with some work and attention it should be fine. The bike currently has risers for the clip-ons and a lowering kit. I plan on returning the bike to stock height, haven't decided about the risers yet. It also has an aftermarket screen, it's a bit bigger and tinted over the stock screen and most likely I will keep it. Fortunately the seller had all the original equipment so I won't have to find parts.

One troubling note, when I had the bike up on the centerstand (oh how I've missed centerstands) I noticed a notching, clicking sound when I rotated the rear tire. Any idea what that might be?

To end on a positive note, all three bikes fit in the garage. Praise be to the Smart car for saving me space.

Looking forward to getting it plated and registered and out on the road.
turn8a, weljo2001 and Devilsfan like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Turk; 08-11-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 04:22 PM

Garage
Wow, that's a beauty! I have always liked the red white and blue schemes on Hondas. Enjoy it!!

Almost forgot about the noise: could be tight-spot/seized links in the chain. If it was as rusty and neglected as you imply, you may just want to replace it with a new one (if that is your problem). A quick way to verify: with the bike up on the main stand, spin the rear wheel slowly and watch the chain where you would normally check the slack/adjustment. If the chain goes from properly adjusted or a little droopy to ultra tight, you've got a bad chain. If in doubt, check your chain slack several times in several places. If it is significantly tighter in any one spot than the rest, the chain is beat. If not, look elswhere for your noise.
Turk and Duffy like this.

Last edited by mentolio; 08-11-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Forgot about the OP's question
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
Wow, that's a beauty! I have always liked the red white and blue schemes on Hondas. Enjoy it!!

Almost forgot about the noise: could be tight-spot/seized links in the chain.
The RWB Honda’s have always caught my eye as well. I passed on a sweet RWB Nighthawk S years ago and always regretted it.

Thanks for the tip about the chain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Turk...that's one sweet bike! She's a beauty!

I'd just replace the chain and sprockets. Doing so will also help you align the rear wheel as it may be off kilter anyway. If that bike is anything like my Ninja I got a few months ago (same year, same lack of maintenance as you're telling us about) then you should go over everything from tires to chain and anything else in between. IMO, it's worth the money to throw at something you really like and from the looks of your pictures she's a keeper!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Oh, I do like that! And the kayak as well. Ours are bright yellow but the blue and white looks better.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Nice! Another fan of the patriotic themed bikes. I looked at those about that time frame for a sport touring bike with hard bags, but felt it was a little tall and bulky for me. I'm sure I wouldn't feel that way today after some of the bikes I have owned since.

What I want to see is a photo of that Kayak on the Smart car being hauled to the water! LOL!

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 09:39 AM

Garage
Turk, great ride! I haver a 09 that I ride when in Ct. Your garage looks a lot like mine. A car, a golf cart, my V1, an RST1000, and 3 kayaks. You will have a tough time choosing which ride to take. Good luck.
Civit
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Turk...that's one sweet bike! She's a beauty!

...you should go over everything from tires to chain and anything else in between. IMO, it's worth the money to throw at something you really like and from the looks of your pictures she's a keeper!
I think you're right. Oil change, filters, plugs, it's actually due for it's 15k service in about 500 miles so I will go over all that.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Oh, I do like that! And the kayak as well. Ours are bright yellow but the blue and white looks better.
Love taking the boats out though we haven't been out this year because our Smart car replaced my Mazda which was the boat hauler. Got to gear up my wife's SUV to be the new boat hauler. What kind of kayaks do you have?

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Nice! Another fan of the patriotic themed bikes. I looked at those about that time frame for a sport touring bike with hard bags, but felt it was a little tall and bulky for me. I'm sure I wouldn't feel that way today after some of the bikes I have owned since.

What I want to see is a photo of that Kayak on the Smart car being hauled to the water! LOL!
It is a heavy bike for what it is.

The Smart car is such a clown car, it looks funny doing just about anything.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by civit View Post
Turk, great ride! I haver a 09 that I ride when in Ct. Your garage looks a lot like mine. A car, a golf cart, my V1, an RST1000, and 3 kayaks. You will have a tough time choosing which ride to take. Good luck.
Civit

Nice, I hope I like the Interceptor as much as I have thought I would, you never know until you get some serious seat time on a bike.

I had to look up on the web what an RST1000 was, what a cool looking Aprillia. How do you like it?

P.S. - sorry to everyone for the numerous posts, been trying to sort out that multi-quote button but I can't seem to figure out how to make it work.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post

P.S. - sorry to everyone for the numerous posts, been trying to sort out that multi-quote button but I can't seem to figure out how to make it work.
Click on multi-quote on the first post you want to quote. Continue clicking on multi-quote for each additional post you want to quote until you get to the last one. Then you click on quote and you will got to a write pane and see all the quotes where you can add your replies.
quexpress and Turk like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
And heres my failed 1983 Interceptor project bike.A real beast ,took on the Ducati 980 in its day.Never got off the ground.If anyone around Vancouver wants it ,its free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1983 Interceptor.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	157393  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
...One troubling note, when I had the bike up on the centerstand (oh how I've missed centerstands) I noticed a notching, clicking sound when I rotated the rear tire. Any idea what that might be?...
Probably your chain.

Turk likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Man that thing looks showroom new in the pics. I always wanted one of those.

I was working at the local Honda dealership when they came out.

The closest I came to one was an 1982 V-45 Sabre. It shares the same great V-4 motor as your interceptor. Super smooth and torque like an electric motor.

Pretty sure you will really enjoy your new ride.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Man that thing looks showroom new in the pics.

Pretty sure you will really enjoy your new ride.
It's in pretty good shape, not quite showroom but definitely very good. The photos tend to hide some of the minor blemishes.

So far I really love riding it, though getting used to the sporty position opposed to the comfort of the Versys or even my Ninja 650 is going to take a bit. One thing I find interesting, I always thought my Versys was just great but the gearbox and shifter on this VFR makes the Versys feel a bit second class. Can't compare the motors, the Honda V4 is just amazing and like you stated, so smooth almost electric.

Have to run an errand right now and I'm going to take the Interceptor... should actually take the car for what I need to do but I'll make due with the bike.
hawkerjet and Devilsfan like this.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Being a graphic designer I was compelled to find a helmet that matched my VFR. Here are a couple of pics of the helmet with the bike.

As you can see the blue and white look great and match the bike paint pretty well. The red on the helmet is a lot hotter, brighter almost but not quite a fuschia. The helmet itself seems to be of good quality unlike the FX95 helmet I purchased earlier this year. I have three gripes at the moment. The snap to attach the strap is almost up inside the helmet and is hard to reach. The drop down sun visor has a too large cut out for the nose. And finally, it's kinda on the hefty side... sorta like the VFR I suppose.

Have not worn it while riding yet so no comment on wind noise. I have worn it for about 45 minutes at my desk while I worked this morning. Mostly comfortable but I had a slight dull pain on the top of my head. I've never experienced this in a helmet before, it's usually the front/back or sides. Will give it another try for an hour in house before I decide to keep or return.
twowheeladdict likes this.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:52 PM

Garage
Cool. Of course I did the opposite. Found the perfect helmet and then bought a bike to match.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...t-arrives.html
Turk likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:27 PM

I had the opportunity to buy one of these and I am filled with so much regret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode