Older Bike with Few Miles - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Older Bike with Few Miles

Not sure which section to ask this question. Just sorta thinking out loud here. I'm looking at a 2007 Honda currently and it's got very few miles for it's age, just under 10k. The tires are fairly new and it's had oil changes and general service inspections. I was wondering what are items to look at that should be replaced or at least inspected when considering making a purchase... what may affect it's value? Thanks for any insight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
It is currently a buyers market for motorcycles. The value of that bike will also depend on its popularity and availability. From a private sale low NADA value is the norm down here in the southeast unless the bike has a following and demands more.

At 11 years old I would hope that all the fluids have been changed according to the maintenance schedule and not skipped because the owner didn't ride it much. Oil, Hydraulic fluids, coolant, chain lube/differential fluid. Also, at that age I would be checking fuel lines, coolant hoses, fork seals, head bearings, swingarm bearings, wheel bearings, etc.

Other factors are how and where it was stored being that it is a northern bike.

You don't know if the miles were put on at 1000 per year or if 5000 were put on in the first year and then only 500 a year since, or if the bike sat for the last 3 years.

Definitely shine a light into the fuel tank to look for corrosion. I have walked away from a few bikes once I shown a light into the tank.

Also, check the tire pressure before taking it for a test ride. It is amazing the number of bikes I have gone to test ride and the owner didn't even bother to air up the tires. What does that tell you about how they probably maintained the bike?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 AM

Garage
Smell the gas first off. It it smells weird, you prolly have corn squeezins that went sour. In that case, you'll want to clean out the carbs. A small ultrasound cleaner like they use for jewelry, with some Simple Green, works well and doesn't cost much. Make sure carb parts are available before you buy. I've had real good luck with the Honda parts place in Scottsdale AZ. Float valves are almost sure to need replacement. Old Hondas have a crapload of fun miles left in them and are fun projects. Even if it runs ragged, you can stash it away from something to fiddle with in the garage this coming Winter. Be sure to stock a garage beer fridge and put a TV out there to watch football. Great fun. Just don't pay much. Old Hondas have always been cheap as dirt -- no even more so.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You don't know if the miles were put on at 1000 per year or if 5000 were put on in the first year and then only 500 a year since, or if the bike sat for the last 3 years.
That was my concern, if the bike sat for a long time, how well was it maintained. The current owner said he put about 200 miles on the bike in the last year and the last oil change was before winter storage last year.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
Smell the gas first off. It it smells weird, you prolly have corn squeezins that went sour. In that case, you'll want to clean out the carbs.
I know what you mean, I've owned two Nighthawks, a 650 and a 750, both were rock solid as long as they were properly maintained. This bike has fuel injection so it's a bit different in that regard.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My nephew just bought my neighbors "spare" bike.......a 2001 Victory with just over 10K on the clock. We looked it over real well and found nothing wrong except for some flaking chrome on one of the fender rails. Tires were less than 3 years old and the battery was replaced last year. The gent did ride it on a regular basis but not more than just around town, ergo, the low mileage. He was the 2nd owner and had the bike for about 5-6 years.

If the bike is in good shape and the price is right, go for it.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Another question about this bike, well, one much closer but almost identical. The bike is a Honda Interceptor, it has a lowering kit on it. Is this something that is easy to reverse?

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 02:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Another question about this bike, well, one much closer but almost identical. The bike is a Honda Interceptor, it has a lowering kit on it. Is this something that is easy to reverse?
Depends on what type of kit is used for that model bike. Some require changing the "dog bone" on the suspension linkage which means you have to have the stock one to put it back to stock. Some just have a bracket that relocates one end of the shock so if that is the case just removing and mounting the shock back in the OEM location is all that is needed.

If they lowered the front as well then that also can be easy or difficult. If they just slid the forks up in the triple tree you move back to stock. If they put shorter springs in the forks then you will need the OEM springs and spacers, etc. to put it back to stock.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Depends on what type of kit is used for that model bike. Some require changing the "dog bone" on the suspension linkage which means you have to have the stock one to put it back to stock. Some just have a bracket that relocates one end of the shock so if that is the case just removing and mounting the shock back in the OEM location is all that is needed.

If they lowered the front as well then that also can be easy or difficult. If they just slid the forks up in the triple tree you move back to stock. If they put shorter springs in the forks then you will need the OEM springs and spacers, etc. to put it back to stock.
Thanks, I've recently emailed the owner and he told me that he has the original equipment to be able to restore the bike to stock. If I read his email correctly the front shocks have simply been lowered or slid along the triple tree. Going to see the bike tomorrow.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Also, check the tire pressure before taking it for a test ride....
ALSO - very IMPORTANT to check that the tires aren't TXed (Time-eXpired)! There's a little spot on EACH tire showing the YEAR and WEEK it was manufactured.

Here's an example:

it was made in the 49th week of 2016, or FIRST week in December, '16.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1198.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	157333  
Turk likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
ALSO - very IMPORTANT to check that the tires aren't TXed (Time-eXpired)! There's a little spot on EACH tire showing the YEAR and WEEK it was manufactured.
Thanks, great tip!

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:31 AM

Garage
Quote:

Here's an example:

it was made in the 49th week of 2016, or FIRST week in December, '16.
I've ridden on 10 year old tires. Bought a '78 Honda 550 four SS in '88 with less than 3000 miles on it for $400. Bought it after my '85 Honda Shadow 700 got totaled while I was sitting at a stop sign. Since it had tubes and was a "stored" bike I took a chance on it. 5 miles to the university and back.

Here is a photo after I put 40 hours into cleaning it up.

Kept it until '93 when I graduated and had no way to take it with me to my new job location. So it had 15 year old tires on it when I sold it for $800.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda_550SS007.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	157337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda_550SS006.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	157339  

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
At 11 years old I would hope that all the fluids have been changed according to the maintenance schedule and not skipped because the owner didn't ride it much. Oil, Hydraulic fluids, coolant, chain lube/differential fluid. Also, at that age I would be checking fuel lines, coolant hoses, fork seals, head bearings, swingarm bearings, wheel bearings, etc.
Good advice. My daughter bought a 1989 Virago from a guy who was cosmetically renovating it for his wife who didn't want it. Pretty much all the rubber bits and fluids had been neglected. It needed new fork seals, all new hoses (fuel, vacuum, hydraulic), and new head bearings. Most of those things are cheap if you do them yourself, though time consuming. I was not up to doing the forks or head bearings myself, so that cost some $$.

Disuse is pretty hard on vehicles.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yes, disuse is rough on any vehicle. I have bought two used MC's in the last couple years. I think you want to buy something that has been used, but not misused. I think you can tell from the owner how much care he has given it. Asking him to show you repair bills and/or some log he kept is within reason. I felt comfortable because both that I bought had been garage kept and the owner had solid reasons to be selling it. One had two bigger motorcycles in his garage and had bought the Honda Rebel (had 7K on it after 8 years) for his wife. Turns out she did not like riding it and prefers to ride passenger with him. The other guy was a MSF instructor that kept the V in his garage and his car parked outside. He was moving to Ecuador and it was cheaper to buy one down there than pay the taxes involved with taking it with him. Good Luck. Let us know what happens today Turk!!!

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
I've ridden on 10 year old tires....
There are exceptions to (almost) every rule.

I bought a Class A motorhome that had older tires, Michelins, w/ MOST of the tread still there. I took a chance the first time I used it, sticking w/ the old tires, altho' I DID check pressures// refill w/ air.

About 30 or 40 miles from home, traveling at around 60 mph, suddenly there was a VERY LOUD "bang". I thought the fridge had come loose and fallen - looked in the mirror - it was OK, but my side-view mirror showed something 'smoking' on the road behind, so I pulled over and checked. One of the rear duals, left side, had thrown a tread, tearing out the side-fairing of the motorhome. I picked up the pieces, strapped them onto the trailer (w/ my Yam SR500 on it), and took it in for repair after the weekend (AND EIGHT new tires!).

FAIRLY pricey lesson.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-10-2018 at 05:33 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I bought a Class A motorhome that had older tires, Michelins, w/ MOST of the tread still there. I took a chance the first time I used it, sticking w/ the old tires, altho' I DID check pressures// refill w/ air.

About 30 or 40 miles from home, traveling at around 60 mph, suddenly there was a VERY LOUD "bang". I thought the fridge had come loose and fallen - looked in the mirror - it was OK, but my side-view mirror showed something 'smoking' on the road behind, so I pulled over and checked. One of the rear duals, left side, had thrown a tread, tearing out the side-fairing of the motorhome. I picked up the pieces, strapped them onto the trailer (w/ my Yam SR500 on it), and took it in for repair after the weekend (AND EIGHT new tires!).

FAIRLY pricey lesson.
still, a great tip. most people i know don't realize there's a date of manufacture on tires. many people buy "new" tires and not realizing that although they have never been used, they were manufactured several years earlier and had been sitting in a hot garage or wearhouse all that time, degrading. still, it amazes me how tough most tires are made. i twice plugged a rear tourance, and it was hell rasping the puncture and getting the plug in. a lot of steel in your average tire!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I bought the bike, itís a 2007 Honda Interceptor in the red/white/blue anniversary paint job.

The bikes definitely been neglected but at least the owner came clean about it. Rides a bit rough but Iím taking on the gamble that once it gets some general maintenance and TLC it should be okay.

Iíll share some photos when I get to my computer.
Devilsfan likes this.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If that’s you that posted over on VFRD, that’s a nice bike. I should’ve waited out on an RWB. I have an 02 red.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
I bought the bike, itís a 2007 Honda Interceptor in the red/white/blue anniversary paint job.

The bikes definitely been neglected but at least the owner came clean about it. Rides a bit rough but Iím taking on the gamble that once it gets some general maintenance and TLC it should be okay.

Iíll share some photos when I get to my computer.

Congrats! Even if you have to put a few $$$ into it and do a little clean-up I have to say I've always thought those Interceptors were great looking motorcycles. I love the red, white and blue paint scheme. Would love to find an 80's model some day. I would probably get out the checkbook for something like that.

Post pics when you can!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 PM

Garage
Quote:

FAIRLY pricey lesson.
The main difference is probably UV radiation. The bike spent most of its life indoors.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode