12 Bikes I Rode at Americade - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

11Likes
  • 3 Post By Turk
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Turk
  • 1 Post By Jay_Chicago
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By Turk
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

12 Bikes I Rode at Americade

Not going to review each of the bikes I tried as that would be a wall of text that you don't want to read and I really don't want to write but will instead give a very brief impression of each. If anyone has any specific questions about any of the bikes I will happily elaborate.

BMW R1200R. Everything you need and a bit more.

KTM 1290 Super Duke GT. Powerful, great handling, tall with a coarse motor.

Indian Scout with touring accessories/Scout Bobber. A tale of two bikes. The green touring bike shifted badly, handled poorly and brakes were so-so, it was comfy though. The black Bobber was fun, handled better and the clutch/shifter more responsive. I think the green Scout may have had some issues.

BMW RnineT Racer. Raucous, punchy and extremely uncomfortable at slow speeds or in group rides.

Aprillia Shiver 900. Potent, usable power with sweet handling.

BMW S1000XR. Get speeding tickets in supreme comfort, sublime handling and unending power.

Moto Guzzi V9 Roamer. Slow, right-lurching motor and uncertain handling but charming and enjoyable to ride.

Yamaha XSR 700. Spunky, fun with middling handling and suspension.

Suzuki GSX-S 1000. Powerful and well sorted, shifting is optional.

Honda CB 1100 EX. Drop-dead gorgeous, well mannered and is rock solid at 95 mph on the interstate.

BMW R1200RS. Would be a sweet ride if the R1200R didn't exist.

Honda GoldWing DCT. Bonus remarks, I didn't ride but my friend John stated, "I could ride this bike across the country... happily".

I really loved the R1200R and lusted the S1000XR, both amazing bikes in different ways. You could really notice the average suspension and handling differences when riding the Yamaha XSR bikes compared to the BMW's, Aprillia, Suzuki or KTM's that we tried.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Turk; 06-13-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:51 AM

Garage
Wow, cool review. Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:14 PM

Garage
The R1200R has been on my short list. It is one of those bikes you can strip down or build up for touring. You can only pick one color if you want hard bags that match though unless you want to spend money to get them paint matched. They don't sell locally so dealer never gets one in. Did ride the RS though and it was fun but too aggressive a riding position for me. Still will cost you $20k to set up all the way.

You didn't get to ride the V7? You should have rode that over the Roamer. Nicer package.

Nice to see that the CB1100 went to spoke wheels. The cast wheels just weren't doing it for me as a bike to turn into a cafe ish looking machine.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:19 PM

Garage
The reason i don't have the BMW S1000XR is because the day i chose to ride to the dealership cash in hand they were closed. So bought the Versys 1000 because of the japanese reliability

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The reason i don't have the BMW S1000XR is because the day i chose to ride to the dealership cash in hand they were closed. So bought the Versys 1000 because of the japanese reliability
Really? There's got to be more to the story than that. Did they tell you they were going to be open? You didn't want to wait one day or did you simply like the Versys better, reliability reasons and all?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Really? There's got to be more to the story than that. Did they tell you they were going to be open? You didn't want to wait one day or did you simply like the Versys better, reliability reasons and all?

I don't go to look at bikes or cars because if i go i go to buy. Was looking at the BMW the Triumph 1200 Explorer, The Versys 1000 and a few others. I just woke up one friday and said to myself lets go buy the BMW. Told the girlfriend i was going to look at a bike. She smiled and said make sure you take enough cash (she knows me well) Had never been to that dealership or sat on the BMW It was July 3rd 2015 so maybe they closed for the 4th. Most dealerships are closed on Mondays out here. So when i rode up on the dealership i was really surprised. So went to Jerseys Mikes for a sandwich then went home. Then kept watching reviews of the bike and almost all of the reviews talked about the vibrations through the handlebars so it just cooled my heals on the BMW. Went to the second dealership i pasted in the video exactly a year later to get a few parts for the FJR. While i was at the dealership i was checking out the Versys 1000 and was talking to the sales guy about it. I knew way more about the bike than him and all of a sudden he asked would you like to take it for a test ride. After the shock wore off i told him not today but how about a few days later on tuesday July 5, 2016. So we scheduled it my girlfriend was off that day and we were going to celebrate my late fathers birthday since the 5th was his birthday and he loved breakfast. So after breakfast we went and tested the Versys 1000. After the ride she asked do you like it i said yes its nice. She goes i can tell you are much more comfortable on this bike. I said yes then she said then i think you should get it so i said Okay. But she goes just one thing i don't like the green can you get another color and i said i agree so they brought a Titanium one from one of their other dealership and i rode the new bike home the next day.

Video of me going to buy the BMW S1000XR

Turk likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Not going to review each of the bikes I tried as that would be a wall of text that you don't want to read and I really don't want to write but will instead give a very brief impression of each.
Those are how every review should be written. No excess verbiage. Well done.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Those are how every review should be written. No excess verbiage. Well done.
If you are only mildly curious, I agree. If you can ask follow up questions and get a response, yes.

Some of his comments piqued my curiosity.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
So after breakfast we went and tested the Versys 1000. ...they brought a Titanium one from one of their other dealership and i rode the new bike home the next day.
Worked out well for us at this forum, weijo, glad you're here.

I've not had the chance to ride a Versys 1000 but I have sat on one a few times and taken it off it's kickstand. The weight is much more manageable than I thought it would be. All reviewers, pro and amateur rave about it's comfort. I considered it for a brief time but really don't like large (size, not displacement) bikes and wasn't too keen on the mpg, so I went with the 650. I would like to give one a go one day but Kawasaki is never around my area with a test ride.
weljo2001 likes this.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If you are only mildly curious, I agree. If you can ask follow up questions and get a response, yes.

Some of his comments piqued my curiosity.
I will happily expand my thoughts on any of the bikes I tried, even some my friend rode that I didn't list like the Hyabusa, RnineT Pure, Dorsoduro and the 1290 Super Duke R. Just remember, I'm just a rider and my evaluations are somewhat superficial considering I only had each bike for about thirty minutes.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Not to mention it's double the price of a V1k for a similar experience and triple the cost of maintenance and parts. That being said, the S1000XR is a fine piece of equipment my garage can only dream of at the moment. Nice review and pics!
weljo2001 likes this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
God was looking out for you THAT day, Joe!

Quote:

I've not had the chance to ride a Versys 1000 but I have sat on one a few times and taken it off it's kickstand. The weight is much more manageable than I thought it would be. All reviewers, pro and amateur rave about it's comfort. I considered it for a brief time but really don't like large (size, not displacement) bikes and wasn't too keen on the mpg, so I went with the 650. I would like to give one a go one day but Kawasaki is never around my area with a test ride.
I 'lucked-into' an hour test-riding one here in BC!

STILL glad I stuck w/ the V650s tho'....
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 AM

Garage
Quote:

I'm happy with the V-1K but if i were to go out and buy a bike today i would get the new Triumph Tiger 1200 with the latest updates they did. Its the exact bike i would want and even more comfortable on my hip and knees with the riding position.......
twowheeladdict likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'm happy with the V-1K but if i were to go out and buy a bike today i would get the new Triumph Tiger 1200 with the latest updates they did. Its the exact bike i would want and even more comfortable on my hip and knees with the riding position.......

That would be a great bike for you. It is a big motorcycle with a lot of room for the rider. I loved the engine in my Trophy SE and the electronic suspension. The Tiger was just a little too big in the rider triangle for me to maneuver it in tight situations.
weljo2001 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
I will happily expand my thoughts on any of the bikes I tried, even some my friend rode that I didn't list like the Hyabusa, RnineT Pure, Dorsoduro and the 1290 Super Duke R. Just remember, I'm just a rider and my evaluations are somewhat superficial considering I only had each bike for about thirty minutes.
How far from Methuen are you? The next time I am up visiting my parents maybe we could meet.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
How far from Methuen are you? The next time I am up visiting my parents maybe we could meet.
I am about 20 miles south of Methuen. I actually live in Stoneham about six miles north of Boston. Definitely let me know if you're in the area, it would be great to meet up.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 01:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
That would be a great bike for you. It is a big motorcycle with a lot of room for the rider. I loved the engine in my Trophy SE and the electronic suspension. The Tiger was just a little too big in the rider triangle for me to maneuver it in tight situations.

Yes Sir, I really liked the Triumph in 2015 & 16 but the reasons i didn't get it was the things they just changed on it. Now its exactly what i want....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode