Another Kawi added to the stable - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

12Likes
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 1 Post By timster
  • 1 Post By Milo
  • 1 Post By timster
  • 1 Post By Rob9876
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 1 Post By mrvwbug
  • 1 Post By mrvwbug
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By Turk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Another Kawi added to the stable

I picked up a used, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500R this weekend. Since selling my CTX last week I was thinking of a small, around-the-town bike to putter on. Then I thought, if I could find something cheap, then I could give it to my nephew who wants to learn to ride.

So, I found this:

It's a beater but I think it will hold up well for a while, at least until my nephew get's good enough for something different.
It needs some work - new chain and sprockets, grommets for the front turn signals, tires, and I'm going to try and clean up the rust. Will look for some used parts for the levers and just an overall good clean-up. Got it for cheap and I rode it 60 miles home. Got it to 95mph (on the speedo, at least) and it still had room for a little more. It's not a burner off the line but I think it will be a great bike to learn on for junior!
unstable_rider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:34 AM

OH YEA

I think he will be happy riding around on that. Nice color.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:31 AM

Garage
I just got rid of an 08 in black. Sharp little bike! Great for around town and short interstate trips. Rode mine from Nashville to Birmingham on interstate 65 with no problems. Carbs get a little sticky if they sit too long. Put in fuel stabilizer when you fill up and you'll have no problems. I have a left over set of Cortech soft saddlebags that fit the bike perfectly if you want them. Shoot me a PM and I'll send for shipping cost only. I don't need them anymore.
Devilsfan likes this.

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:32 AM

Nice I like it!
Devilsfan likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:41 AM

Garage
There is also a really good online forum for this bike at: Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R
Devilsfan likes this.

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 AM

Garage
Cool starter bike -- basically the same engine as the 2006 Vulcan 500 that I started on -- quite peppy around town.
Devilsfan likes this.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:32 AM

Garage
Check out the WIKI section of the Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R forum as there is lots of helpful archived info there. My first bike was a Ninja 500.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timster View Post
I just got rid of an 08 in black. Sharp little bike! Great for around town and short interstate trips. Rode mine from Nashville to Birmingham on interstate 65 with no problems. Carbs get a little sticky if they sit too long. Put in fuel stabilizer when you fill up and you'll have no problems. I have a left over set of Cortech soft saddlebags that fit the bike perfectly if you want them. Shoot me a PM and I'll send for shipping cost only. I don't need them anymore.

Appreciate that, timster! Already have a tank bag for it and figured to let the nephew decide what he wants on it. (You know how finicky those youngin's can be!)

Again, I appreciate the offer!
timster likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 PM

If he like the EX500 he will probably like a Ninja 650/Versys 650 as well. Of course a V650 is a great around town bike too.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:52 PM

Kinda funny when you look at it, it is almost a dead ringer for the original GPZ 900 (the original Ninja, aka the top gun bike).
Devilsfan likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 05:38 AM

Garage
Looks good with the lower fairing added to it. See so many of those bikes with the lower fairing missing.

I loved the ergonomics of the '04 Ninja 250 I had. When I got the Ninja 650 I played with many handlebar combinations trying to achieve the same ergonomics but never could which is why I ended up with the Versys 650.
Devilsfan likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Back in the day, when I was a young buck and in great shape, I rode a Ninja 250 from Fort Irwin to San Francisco and back. Riding this Ninja 500 home from the seller - 60 miles - NO WAY could I do the San Fran ride today!!!

That leaning-forwards position is very uncomfortable. The constant weight on the arms and wrist is very bothersome. I've ridden cruisers for the last 20+ years, until I delved into these adventure bikes last year. I could never go back to a permanent sport bike!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Back in the day, when I was a young buck and in great shape, I rode a Ninja 250 from Fort Irwin to San Francisco and back. Riding this Ninja 500 home from the seller - 60 miles - NO WAY could I do the San Fran ride today!!!

That leaning-forwards position is very uncomfortable. The constant weight on the arms and wrist is very bothersome. I've ridden cruisers for the last 20+ years, until I delved into these adventure bikes last year. I could never go back to a permanent sport bike!
That's because you are not supposed to put your weight on the arms. You are supposed to use your core muscles (or what's left of them) to hold yourself up. That is why they are called sport bikes. Knees holding the tank, core engaged, and light on the controls.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:41 PM

Sucker looks really clean. Enjoy.
Devilsfan likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:50 PM

I remember when that bike came out new in 2007 and I wanted one just because I liked the paint color so much.
Devilsfan likes this.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:23 PM

Garage
Those bikes are a lot of fun! I still miss my '93 sometimes. I put a lot of miles on that bike, carved-up a lot of corners, laid it down a few times, and embarrassed more than a few guys on much bigger/more expensive rides. They can be surprisingly capable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode