FZ-10 Wow. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

13Likes
  • 4 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 2 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By mrvwbug
  • 2 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By mrvwbug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
FZ-10 Wow.

Me and my buddy Mark did a nice 100 mile lunch ride yesterday. He was on his Yamaha FZ-10 and me on my V-650.

After lunch on the way home we swapped bikes. I had ridden his FZ right after he got it a few months ago. I did not get on it hard since it was brand new but...now it's got 3400 miles on it the gloves came off...and boy howdy did they come off.

I have ridden and owned several liter bikes over the years but none compare to the fantastic power delivery and sound of the FZ-10's cross plane motor.

It has the feel of a smooth V-twin or 3 cylinder machine. Lots of low and mid grunt while retaining the arm stretching super power as the clock heads north of around 7500 rpm, then pulls progressively harder all the way to the limiter.

Man if I owned one of these I would have to buy stock in a tire company. I would be replacing the rear skin every 700 to 800 miles...Lol.

Just as great as the big motor is the chassis is right up there with super sweet handling and that's stock right out of the box. Just a mere thought and it is already responding to your command.

The only things I would change would be: help with the hard seat. I would send it to Seth Laam to work his magic. And the brakes are a bit mushy. Steel braided lines and a good bleed should fix this strait away.

Mark got a pretty good deal on it from Thousand Oaks Motorsports. Think the price was around $10500 plus fees for a brand new zero mile machine.

If I was still working and making 6 figures I would be very tempted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5717.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	149209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5738.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	149217  
407guy, Kyle E, mrvwbug and 1 others like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wish I could do long distances in that seating position. Just not "fun" for my shoulders like an ADV bike is for long hauls.

They do make a MT10 adventure style bike in Europe Id like to see come here to compare it with the Versys 1000.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/produ...r-edition.aspx
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
I wish I could do long distances in that seating position. Just not "fun" for my shoulders like an ADV bike is for long hauls.

They do make a MT10 adventure style bike in Europe Id like to see come here to compare it with the Versys 1000.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/produ...r-edition.aspx
I hear ya on the seated position. I had a Ninja 1000 for about a year. It was a more upright sport bike but still after about 30 minutes my hands and arms were hurting and my butt was on fire.

That MT touring looks great. Nice big comfy seat, more upright bars, and a small windscreen. Might just be a real winner.
Kyle E likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I was looking at the FZ-10 but the seating and peg position and small gas tank knocked it off my list. The day i picked up my 16 V-1000 they unloaded it along with a FZ-10..Sweet looking bike but it would be for a younger me with good knees....
hawkerjet and Kyle E like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I hear ya on the seated position. I had a Ninja 1000 for about a year. It was a more upright sport bike but still after about 30 minutes my hands and arms were hurting and my butt was on fire.

That MT touring looks great. Nice big comfy seat, more upright bars, and a small windscreen. Might just be a real winner.
Just don't think it will make it over to us. The FJ09 (ADV style MT09) I guess is not a big seller. I rode one, liked the engine quite a bit, but the Versys 1000 would get my money over that. The 10 on the other hand, Id have to think quite a bit about. When its time to replace my 650 in a few years I hope its around to see.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I was looking at the FZ-10 but the seating and peg position and small gas tank knocked it off my list. The day i picked up my 16 V-1000 they unloaded it along with a FZ-10..Sweet looking bike but it would be for a younger me with good knees....
Yea the small tank is not optimum. Looking for a gas station every 100 miles is a PITA but... you will have lot's of fun during those Adrenalin filled miles.

Another riding friend bought an FZ-10 to replace his Beamer touring bike. He added a windscreen, comfort seat, and a pair of soft bags on it.

He is a bit younger than me and has a garage full of bikes. His feel the need for speed bike is an Aprilia RSV4 factory. He also has an Tuono go go along with it.

Must be nice to have money...Lol.
weljo2001 likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Just don't think it will make it over to us. The FJ09 (ADV style MT09) I guess is not a big seller. I rode one, liked the engine quite a bit, but the Versys 1000 would get my money over that. The 10 on the other hand, Id have to think quite a bit about. When its time to replace my 650 in a few years I hope its around to see.
The "touring" MT-10 is just a MT-10 with soft bags, a screen, handguards, and the yamaha comfort seat, basically just stuff right out of the accessory catalog, you can order all of that for a US spec FZ/MT-10. Bars and pegs are the same, the quickshifter is available for US spec bikes and standard on all EU spec bikes. The bike has become a popular light sport tourer simply because of its performance and the fact that it comes with cruise control.

Yamaha is bringing the Tracer 900GT over to the US which is a replacement for the FJ-09, and it will have cruise control, heated grips, hard cases and a quick shifter standard. Kawasaki really need to put cruise control and heated grips on the Versys 1k and Ninja 1k. At this point I'm pretty sure the H2SX is replacing the C14.
Kyle E likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Although I enjoyed the 3 I-4 bikes I have owned, I prefer twins and the 2 triples I owned were an OK compromise.

That FZ has cruise control right?

Please Yamaha bring the tracer 700 and the Tenere 700 to the states.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Although I enjoyed the 3 I-4 bikes I have owned, I prefer twins and the 2 triples I owned were an OK compromise.

Yes it does have cruise control.

I too have owned several inline four machines and am not really a big fan. But the cross plane motor in the FZ-10 is quite different animal. It's not lifeless down in the low revs like the typical liter bike. The power is delivery is very linear. It starts pulling right off idle and just keeps pulling harder the higher you rev it, all the way to the limiter. You keep thinking the power will sign off at some point but it does not. Very addicting.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Yes it does have cruise control.

I too have owned several inline four machines and am not really a big fan. But the cross plane motor in the FZ-10 is quite different animal. It's not lifeless down in the low revs like the typical liter bike. The power is delivery is very linear. It starts pulling right off idle and just keeps pulling harder the higher you rev it, all the way to the limiter. You keep thinking the power will sign off at some point but it does not. Very addicting.
I like the smoothness of 4 cylinders, and the triple I have ridden was pretty smooth as well. The vibration of the V650 is becoming a deal breaker for me. I test rode both a Z900 and Ninja 1k and found the Z900 had a lot of low end and mid-range power, the Ninja 1k was more top end heavy and comes on REALLY strong at 7k rpm, where the Z900 had really strong midrange that just pulled harder and harder to redline. I've heard both the Z900RS (the retro styled one) and the V 1k both have much stronger low end and mid-range power than most 4 cylinder bikes. The Yamaha triple has a interesting powerband as well, at low rpms it is like a 4 cylinder, but at around 4k rpm the torque just explodes and pulls like a freight train to redline.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
I like the smoothness of 4 cylinders, and the triple I have ridden was pretty smooth as well. The vibration of the V650 is becoming a deal breaker for me. I test rode both a Z900 and Ninja 1k and found the Z900 had a lot of low end and mid-range power, the Ninja 1k was more top end heavy and comes on REALLY strong at 7k rpm, where the Z900 had really strong midrange that just pulled harder and harder to redline. I've heard both the Z900RS (the retro styled one) and the V 1k both have much stronger low end and mid-range power than most 4 cylinder bikes. The Yamaha triple has a interesting powerband as well, at low rpms it is like a 4 cylinder, but at around 4k rpm the torque just explodes and pulls like a freight train to redline.
Curious which year V-650 you rode? I rode a 2013 before I bought my 2015. The 13 (Gen 2) you feel the vibs more than the 15 that has extra rubber mounts on the engine and bars.

I had a 2012 Ninja 1000 and I thought the vibs are much worse on it than my V-650. On both bikes you really feel it around the 5k rpm range.

Guess our personal vib meters may be calibrated differently...no worries mate.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Curious which year V-650 you rode? I rode a 2013 before I bought my 2015. The 13 (Gen 2) you feel the vibs more than the 15 that has extra rubber mounts on the engine and bars.

I had a 2012 Ninja 1000 and I thought the vibs are much worse on it than my V-650. On both bikes you really feel it around the 5k rpm range.

Guess our personal vib meters may be calibrated differently...no worries mate.
My V 650 is a 2009, so first gen, some vibration through the bars and a fair bit through the pegs. The 2015 Ninja 1k I test rode was also nearly as vibey, I do agree with your sentiment there. My Versys is the best cornering bike I've owned, but not the fastest or smoothest. My previous bike was a Bandit 600, that bike was a bit faster and extremely smooth for an aircooled 600, the bandit just had absolute garbage suspension and was sketchy in the twisties.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
My Versys is the best cornering bike I've owned, but not the fastest or smoothest.
Totally agree. I feel exactly as you do.

Holds a line nicely but is still easy to change your line when required.

A bit more horsepower would be nice but certainly not necessary.

Cookin Wid Gas

Last edited by hawkerjet; 04-11-2018 at 10:10 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Please Yamaha bring the tracer 700 and the Tenere 700 to the states.

twowheeladdict and 16VGTIDave like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Ari Henning had basically the same opinion of the Tracer 700 as everyone else who reviewed it. Tracer 700 motor + Versys 650 chassis and suspension = perfect light tourer.
weljo2001 and hawkerjet like this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ari Henning had basically the same opinion of the Tracer 700 as everyone else who reviewed it. Tracer 700 motor + Versys 650 chassis and suspension = perfect light tourer.
Yep. I switched to the fz07 because of the light weÓght and engine performance, but I wouldn't want to rÓde it 400 miles a day for a week.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode