Mad Maxine - Piaggio MP3 500! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool Mad Maxine - Piaggio MP3 500!

Just thought y'all might enjoy seeing a couple of pics of my beloved on her new Piaggio MP3 500 moto/scooter. It's classified by DOT as a motorcycle and it is an absolute hoot to ride! It leans out to 40 degrees while still keeping the weight on the two front wheel distributed 50/50. It tackles everything from gravel rodes on steep hills to highway cruising with equal ease - and it is lounge-chair comfortable. When it comes to a stop, you can lock the wheels in place with a touch of a button - so there's no need to put down your feet! - and they will unlock when you twist the throttle to get underway again. The 492cc single makes 40hp and about 38 ft/lbs of torque, so it accelerates nicely and cruises effortlessly. Almost impossible to lose control of it. Quite a machine . . .

Denise is just getting it broken in. She named it "Mad Maxine" because it looks like something out of the "Mad Max" movies! I'll post another pic, at some point, of her riding it out here in the country. The one below was taken at my son's place after we picked up the scoot in St. Louis, Missouri.

Happy Riding,
Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Y'all come and enjoy some Shawnee Forest Squirrel Stew with us!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:43 AM

Scooters are cool!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mad Maxine is cool!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 04:16 PM

What is the lean like on that?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

It looks like it's leaning, but doesn't "feel" like it . . .

Denise just read this thread and said, "It doesn't feel very leany, especially compared to that Hawg [Harley 883 Low] I used to have."

I agree. The MP3 500 has a low center of gravity and the rock-steady stability of a tripod. It handles much like a traditional motorcycle, but when you countersteer it through a curve there isn't any sensation of weight-shifting. That's because the weight is NOT shifting! The two front wheels are independently suspended and arranged on a parallelogram frame that keep the weight distribution of the bike at 50/50 . . . in other words, equally distributed to each front wheel . . . whether the bike is at 0 degrees of lean (straight up) or 40 degrees of lean (the point at which I feel like Nicky Hayden carving through a quick chicane!). The hardest thing for me to get used to - and it's a real blast to experience it over and over again! - is the visual and physical sensation of leaning over 35-40 degree at 50 mph but NOT feeling your weight and the weight of the bike shift or displace even a tiny bit. It takes a while to overcome the reaction that something must be wrong . . . but, soon, you're grinning like a fool as you enjoy just how RIGHT it can feel to be able to lean without having to constantly monitor every aspect of the position of your bike and your body. Easy thrills, for sure!

Mad Maxine also has very good manners when going over bumps, again because of the independent suspension and excellent shocks. She can even stand straight up with one front wheel on the road and the other front wheel on a 4"-6" curb!

She (Ms. Maxine, not Ms. Denise) is sort of the best of both worlds: motorcycling and scootering. She carves through twisties, with complete composure, like a finely tuned canyon dancer. And she hauls groceries in stop-and-go traffic with a minimum of fuss and without having to put your feet down even at full stops! I wouldn't trade my Versys for her, but she is a darn good companion for it.

And, of course, I wouldn't trade Ms. Denise (who is the best of all worlds) for any other companion of any kind. She likes to ride, she likes to ride with me and she likes for me to go out and ride alone, as often and for as long as I need to and want to. I am much, much luckier and blessed than I deserve to be!

Blissfully,
Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:58 PM

Your going to make me leave the city and enter the scary part of the state to come see all your toys.

Just tell me your not a Cubs fan.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Elllvis,

I really like the looks & concept. Something like that may be just the ticket for my wife.

After a bunch of knee surgeries, she is not crazy about putting too much stress on her bad knee, and I don't blame her.

If she seems interested later I may give you a shout for more info.

Thanks for the information.

R.Keith
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Mad Maxine Update . . .

We now have close to 600 miles on Mad Maxine - and she's been dressed up with a Givi windshield and a Givi top case. The windshield takes care of all traces of buffeting (even for me, at 6' 5"), but still allows for good air circulation in what is now an exceptionally comfortable rider's cockpit. The top case is huge and makes Mad Maxine an ideal companion for shopping, errands and commuting.

The engine is breaking in nicely and, over the last 200 miles, Mad Maxine is averaging 57.3 miles per gallon. She is also very comfortable with cruising at 70 mph - and has excellent roll-on power for passing.

We haven't had even a single problem with the scootercycle - and the initial high quality of its "fit and finish" has endured our thrashing around the backroads in all sorts of weather. Most of all, Mad Maxine continues to produce ear-to-ear grins every time she's ridden. Although I still prefer my Versys and the feel of two wheels beneath me, the MP3 500 has stolen Denise's heart . . . and is my "go to" choice when roads are wet and slick. Mad Maxine is like the Weebles when the roads and weather get really rough: she might wobble, but she won't fall down!

Happy Riding!
Kevin

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

I would love to get something similar for my wife. That thing screams "Fun (but safe!!)"!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 PM

That thing is just too cool!
Would be a blast to ride I'd imagine!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:54 AM

I've read that you can get snow tires for these.

This version is more the off-road compared to the 250 and 400 versions. I've seen some wicked videos on youtube - I was slightly interested but after what I'd been through on my BMW, I was hesitant to try another eurobike and the limited dealer support that I have around where I live.

I rode a Vespa at a demo-day in May and I loved the ease of power and the quietness of the ride. Yet again, it's that limited support thing again.

I'm happy with the Versys and all it can do. It's definitely my ride but there are some other bikes that are just as tempting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode