Honda Rebel oil leak - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Honda Rebel oil leak

Hi All, Wasn't sure where to list this. This is my original bike with about 14K on it. I ride it on Sundays when I ride with the wife who has a Yamaha 250. Mine is a 2007 Honda Rebel 250. While we were stopped the other day after riding a fair distance (i.e. the bike was completely warmed up) I notice an oil film on the fins of the engine. I hope the pictures do justice to the small problem. It also has back splattered on the left side (slightly worse leak) to part of the body work (see red plastic area in picture). I tried tightening the bolts on top of the engine and they are tight. The oil is down a couple ounces, but it also has 3K since last oil change. So... as you can tell, I am non mechanical. Where do you think it is leaking from? Is this a problem if the bike is running fine? Do I need to take action (as in take it to the shop)? Any help is greatly appreciated. PS: The last time the bike was apart (valve adjust) was 5K ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left side.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	143609   Click image for larger version

Name:	right side.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	143617  

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:34 AM

I would assume it's coming out of the valve covers. Don't just keep trying to tighten them more and more as the threads in the head will strip out. That would make for a really, really bad day.

If it bothers you enough, you could go the cheap fix. Remove, carefully, the valve covers. Coat the gasket surfaces with a thin coating of Perm a Tex Form a Gasket number 2, non-hardening. Reassemble.

Or you could go the spendy route and get new gaskets.

Which ever way you go, do not over tighten the bolts.

As long as you are in there, check the valve lash. Your valves and cylinder head will thank you if hasn't been done for a while.

HTH, have fun..
turn8a likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Hi All, Wasn't sure where to list this. This is my original bike with about 14K on it. I ride it on Sundays when I ride with the wife who has a Yamaha 250. Mine is a 2007 Honda Rebel 250. While we were stopped the other day after riding a fair distance (i.e. the bike was completely warmed up) I notice an oil film on the fins of the engine. I hope the pictures do justice to the small problem. It also has back splattered on the left side (slightly worse leak) to part of the body work (see red plastic area in picture). I tried tightening the bolts on top of the engine and they are tight. The oil is down a couple ounces, but it also has 3K since last oil change. So... as you can tell, I am non mechanical. Where do you think it is leaking from? Is this a problem if the bike is running fine? Do I need to take action (as in take it to the shop)? Any help is greatly appreciated. PS: The last time the bike was apart (valve adjust) was 5K ago.
The second view appears the oil is coming out from the bolt area, this usually has a rubber grommet and they tend to dry out. The Versys has the same thing with large washers, if indeed thos are rubber grommets , I would replace them, a alternative is to add some silicone sealant around the rubber grommet, and add it sparingly , to do it you will need something like brake cleaner to remove the oil on the rubber. I think you will find the cost or the replacement rubber grommets , less than a tank of fuel, and I would replace long before I used silicone.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for the great advice. Does it hurt to use the bike until the next time I get the valves adjusted? The only knock I would make on the Rebel is that it calls for valve adjustment every 4K. Luckily, as I stated, it is only my Sunday ride. Thanks again, Chuck

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Thanks to both of you for the great advice. Does it hurt to use the bike until the next time I get the valves adjusted? The only knock I would make on the Rebel is that it calls for valve adjustment every 4K. Luckily, as I stated, it is only my Sunday ride. Thanks again, Chuck
Chuck - I would be concerned IF you start hearing a "KNOCK"....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:31 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ive had a few of these rebels and TBH on the ones made after the 90's use crappier gaskets that always leaked after about 10k miles , some silicone will stop the leaking or you can just replace the gaskets, and the only reason they have 4k valve checks is they know the motor being a 250 is going to have the balls reved out of it, TBH i never had to worry about adjusting mine after its passes 10k (loosened mine a bit at 5k (when i got it)and where still fine at 10k then again at 12k (when i sold it)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
honda rebel, oil leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode