Chain Drive Ain't So Bad...... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Chain Drive Ain't So Bad......

Leaving work, dropped a glove and reached down to retrieve said glove
.....and (for some unknown reason) looked at the rear pulley on my 2014 Yamaha Roadliner.
I'll tell ya - that was a nervous 50 mile ride home !

Removed rear wheel, muffler, swingarm, passenger floorboards, misc covers.
Three times the effort of a Victory, - half the effort of changing a belt on a Harley.

The OEM Yamaha belt is $540. 136 tooth, 1 1/2" wide.
Interestingly enough, it crosses to a very common Harley-Davidson belt that was "in stock" at the local Harley dealer for $204.
Or, a Gates Belt from Dennis Kirk for $182, delivered.

No matter where you go - there you are.

Last edited by kballowe; 12-18-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 11:42 AM

Yep, one little rock at the wrong place and you're done. A bunch of us riding outside Creston, BC this last summer ran across a gent and his lady along side the road. One little rock and he kept riding for about 5 miles or so until it started making lots of noise and shaking badly. He had to be towed and was looking at about a grand or more for the repair (apparently he wasn't mechanically inclined). The belt and the sprocket were both toast.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Question.. what happens if the belt breaks?

If the chain breaks there will likely be case damage and oil loss.

I've read it many times on the ninja 650 forum.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good catch !I used jb weld one time to fix a cut on my sportster belt. Did not look as bad as yours. But I put another 30,000 miles on the belt.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Question.. what happens if the belt breaks?

If the chain breaks there will likely be case damage and oil loss.

I've read it many times on the ninja 650 forum.
Never had one of my belts break - but have seen a few, and picked up a few alongside the road. In all of these cases, the belt just sort of fell off when it parted.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
To be honest chain drives are deadly if the chain breaks due to some reason. Especially the archaic link type with a master link. I've seen one example where the chain nearly took the rider's leg off. Belt probably isn't as deadly *gulp*.

The belt drive on my gearless scoot is completely enclosed away from dust or debris and even has an sponge filter to keep the air cooling it dust free, and has a rather long life of 50-70k kms. It will age and become brittle before it wears out. However enclosure is silly on the motorcycles simply due to the sheer size of the pulleys.

To be the most boring, logical, rational motorcyclist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode