A.D.D. bike ownership - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A.D.D. bike ownership

I've had my 2008 Versys for about a year now and put on about 4500 miles. It now has just over 12K miles on it and is in excellent condition. It has suitable farkles for my riding style, it looks great, has new tires, etc. I never go off-road and at 6'2" and a marginal lower back, I find the seating position of the Versys to be very comfortable. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it except... except for me wanting a bit more performance. I don't care if I can keep up with my R1 riding buddies as I ride at my own pace. They have more skill and are less cautious than me, and of course me being the old codger is probably a part of it too.

Lately I've been thinking about selling it and buying something with a "bit" more snap to it. I'm not a long distance tourer so 40 mile round trip commuting to/from work and weekend fun rides are about it for me. Something like a 2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S, 2011 Yamaha FZ8 or Triumph Tiger 1050 may fit the bill. I've tried the first two and liked both ok but have not been able to try out a Triumph. A concern with the Triumph is that the closest dealership is nearly two hours away. There are a lot of other bikes I like but most of them are only available in Europe, Australia and Canada.

The gist of this is that now my wife is thinking I have some type of attention deficit disorder when it comes to bikes. She can't understand why I can't just settle on one bike and keep it for 10 years. Ummmm, well, ummmm. I had a Nighthawk for quite a while and sold it to get the Versys and ended up with a dirt bike too. I still have the dirt bike, for now. Actually for a few months there were three bikes in the garage. She just loved that.

I tried to console her by saying at least it's only a new (to me) bike I want every year and not a new wife. A female friend suggested I say that to her, I now think I was being punked!

I may need to do what I did with my kids' minibike, and the Versys, and the Nighthawk, and the old RM250... just have a new bike show up in the garage one day. Maybe if the new one is red too she won't notice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
...Maybe if the new one is red too she won't notice.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Yeah, and after a year with a heavier and more powerful bike, you will be wanting another Versys.. Light and nimble is why I love mine!

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Yeah, and after a year with a heavier and more powerful bike, you will be wanting another Versys.. Light and nimble is why I love mine!
I concur... I purchased a Versys as an "around town" bike to augment my 1998 Honda ST1100 "road bike" last November. Well... I haven't put a hundred miles on my ST since November... In town or out of town... including a 5600 mile ride this past July that I did on the Versys. In fact I Craiglisted my Honda just last week.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:24 PM

There is a really nice Tiger 1050 ABS 13k miles for $4900 on the Green Bay craigslist. Seems like a good deal. I am keeping my Versys for the foreseeable future.

2008 Red Versys 16k miles
*Givi Windscreen*SW-Motech Evo Rack*Seahorse 720 Cases*Seat Concepts Seat*HID Headlight

1975 Honda CB200T
1976 Volkswagen Bus
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 PM

After reading your post Racefan, you seem completely normal. You want more power and more bikes! I don't see the problem! 😊 Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Current rides:
2011 Versys
1995 CR 250 (Sold)
2005 Honda Recon(Sold)
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM

Hey man.....you might want to do some long research into the Tiger. I've found a lot of unhappy riders in my searches!! However, that FZ8 is an amazing bike!!!
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Perhaps you should ask your wife why she can't settle on one purse and keep it for ten years? Or one shade of lipstick or "just" 25 pairs of shoes?

Oh yes, here's another thought. If your wife colors her hair, I suspect she colors it more than once every ten years.

And actually, your "maybe if it's red" comment might be a very good idea. Like men, women see what they wish to see - "Oh, it's just a red man-thing. Now, I wonder which purse goes best with this outfit?" First thought: unimportant. Second thought: important.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Finding a bike to replace the Versys is proving to be easier said than done. I've looked at so many bikes in the past few weeks it's hard to keep them straight.

From Suzuki, I looked at a 2011 GSX1250SA. It was an okay fit but I definitely like the 2007-09 version better and am keeping my eyes open for one of those. Also looked again at the WeeStrom but I found no compelling reason to get rid of the Versys for it. Also sat on a VStrom but did not test ride it. Neither Strom is exactly easy on the eyes but the same thing can (and has) been said about the Versys.

From Yamaha I looked at the FZ8. It felt a bit cramped to me. Power and handling and all that stuff was fine, it's still a possibility. Also tried a FZ6, didn't care for the power band, also too small physically. I didn't try out the FZ1 as it's more bike than I want/need for my purposes. I sat on a Super Tenere and while it was a great fit, the price tag was a bit rich for me. Maybe in a few years when some used ones come on the market.

From Honda I looked at a 2006 (I think) 599. Wasn't a bad bike but this particular one looked like it'd led a pretty tough life. Not much else from Honda is even a remote fit. Oh, I also took out a 2003 Nighthawk CB750 for a nice ride. It was in terrific shape but not quite right for me.

From Kawasaki I looked at (but did not test ride) a Z1000 and the new Ninja 650. Neither one is quite right. I even looked at a 2011 Versys. I can't justify selling my 2008 Versys and paying twice as much again for a bike that's nearly functionally equivalent to my farkled current bike. I saw a 2006 Z750S for sale about an hour away from here. I'm told they're a good bike but that 2006 is the last year they brought them to the USA. I'm hoping my next bike is at least a bit newer than my current one.

I've read a lot about the Triumph Tiger 800 roadie and the Explorer 1050 but I have not ridden the 1050 or even seen the 800 in person. The closest Triumph dealership is about 2 hours away and that's a bit far. There was a 2008 1050 SE for private sale locally but it was sold before I could make arrangements to view it. I'm not sure I can convince myself that the Tiger 800 is worth $5K more to me than a Versys.

A friend of mine in Canada suggested I take a look at bringing back a Honda CBF1000 next time I'm there visiting family. I've never seen the bike in person but specs-wise it looks interesting. He also said the local Kawi shop has a few Versys 1000s on hand too. And he offered to sell me his Gold Wing. I may need to see if I can locate a CB1000R locally and see if it's anything like the CBF1000. I don't know that I've ever seen a CB1000R in person.

The Versys is a tough act to follow when a) I don't want a cruiser b) I don't want a 150 HP sport bike and c) I do want a standard/naked bike with an upright riding position and good street manners and around 100 rwhp that doesn't cost $15K and/or need a team of mechanics to keep it on the road and has a good local dealer presence.

Or maybe I'm just too damn picky!

Last edited by racefan; 08-20-2012 at 06:26 PM.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM

Hey Racefan.... tough work....but admit it, looking is half the fun
I've seriously considered the CBF before I picked the V. Here's a couple of pics

I don't think you'll come across any bad reviews on the CBF. But what you will find is more complaints of it being too "sterile"....or " a really great machine, but doesn't stir the soul".
Either way, she's a Honda, and it's hard to go wrong picking a Honda.......... It's really comfortable, with an upright seating position, and good angle at the knees.
Cheers
BiGo
PS-- Gotta admit. As much as I enjoy the Versys...sometimes I'd really love to have that silky smooth inline-4 back

Last edited by BigOleChalupa; 08-20-2012 at 08:23 PM.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter84 View Post
There is a really nice Tiger 1050 ABS 13k miles for $4900 on the Green Bay craigslist. Seems like a good deal. I am keeping my Versys for the foreseeable future.
That's a great deal. had I not just bought my versys I'd consider a trip to Green Bay
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 PM

I'm not sure of your price range but the BMW F800 or the Honda NC700 seem like suitable replacements. I've read great reviews thus far
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:32 PM

How about a Triumph Street Triple or Triple R? More character and looks, more fun to ride, less serviceability and reliability. Kind of like a hotter girlfriend.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter84 View Post
Unfortunately for me that bike has already been sold.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyFeet View Post
I'm not sure of your price range but the BMW F800 or the Honda NC700 seem like suitable replacements. I've read great reviews thus far
I didn't know anything about the BMW F800 but after doing some searching, I think I do like the looks of the BMW F800R, at least based on the pictures I've seen. The F800ST looks okay too, although I'm less keen on the fairing.

It sounds to me like the Versys has much better performance than the Honda NC700, although the Honda is a decent enough bike.

I'm going back to try out the FZ8 again and am also going to see if there's a gently used F800R within an hour or so ride to look over. I also need to find out how expensive the F800R is to maintain and how frequently it needs said maintenance.

Thanks for the ideas!
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I was at a Suzuki dealer on Saturday morning checking out the 2012 V-Strom DL650. I actually don't mind the look of it but it's not a big enough change from my Versys to seal the deal. However, they did tell me that they are expecting the 2013 V-Strom 1000 to be redesigned in a similar fashion to the redesigned 650. Interesting. I liked the older DL1000 I rode last year but the performance left me a bit flat. There are a lot of rumors out there about a new DL1000 but no official confirmation that I can find.

I have my 2008 Versys up for sale but am starting to reconsider the timing of this sale. Ideally I'd like to sell the Versys right before I buy my next bike but my last two purchases did not work out that nice. My wife was not too happy when there were 3 bikes in the garage, even though it was just a transitional period, as I clinically described it to her.

The FZ8 is off my list. I just don't feel physically comfortable on it. I feel more comfortable on the FZ1 but that's way more performance than I need, same thing with the Kawi Z1000.

I really like the new Triumph Tiger 800 and Explorer. Also liked the Super Tenere even though it felt a bit on the porky side. Wonder if I'd like the Versys 1000 if/when it's available in the USA.

My budget is maybe $9K max and all of these bikes exceed this amount, at least when they're new. But these models are pretty much too new to have many/any used ones for sale. I still want to check out a 2007 Honda 919 and a 2007-2009 Bandit 1250 but there aren't any that I can find within 250 miles right now. Same thing for the BMW F800R.

I'm sure it'll all work out however it's supposed to work out. In the meantime, I'm a long way from being hard done by having to ride my Versys. Life's pretty good if that's considered a problem.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Those are all great ideas. However, I must confess I'm much braver in what I think about saying to my wife than in what I actually say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Perhaps you should ask your wife why she can't settle on one purse and keep it for ten years? Or one shade of lipstick or "just" 25 pairs of shoes?

Oh yes, here's another thought. If your wife colors her hair, I suspect she colors it more than once every ten years.

And actually, your "maybe if it's red" comment might be a very good idea. Like men, women see what they wish to see - "Oh, it's just a red man-thing. Now, I wonder which purse goes best with this outfit?" First thought: unimportant. Second thought: important.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
I was at a Suzuki dealer on Saturday morning checking out the 2012 V-Strom DL650. I actually don't mind the look of it but it's not a big enough change from my Versys to seal the deal. However, they did tell me that they are expecting the 2013 V-Strom 1000 to be redesigned in a similar fashion to the redesigned 650. Interesting. I liked the older DL1000 I rode last year but the performance left me a bit flat. There are a lot of rumors out there about a new DL1000 but no official confirmation that I can find.

I have my 2008 Versys up for sale but am starting to reconsider the timing of this sale. Ideally I'd like to sell the Versys right before I buy my next bike but my last two purchases did not work out that nice. My wife was not too happy when there were 3 bikes in the garage, even though it was just a transitional period, as I clinically described it to her.

The FZ8 is off my list. I just don't feel physically comfortable on it. I feel more comfortable on the FZ1 but that's way more performance than I need, same thing with the Kawi Z1000.

I really like the new Triumph Tiger 800 and Explorer. Also liked the Super Tenere even though it felt a bit on the porky side. Wonder if I'd like the Versys 1000 if/when it's available in the USA.

My budget is maybe $9K max and all of these bikes exceed this amount, at least when they're new. But these models are pretty much too new to have many/any used ones for sale. I still want to check out a 2007 Honda 919 and a 2007-2009 Bandit 1250 but there aren't any that I can find within 250 miles right now. Same thing for the BMW F800R.

I'm sure it'll all work out however it's supposed to work out. In the meantime, I'm a long way from being hard done by having to ride my Versys. Life's pretty good if that's considered a problem.

From what you've written, I think you might look into the Aprilia Shiver. 750 cc, 95 BHP. Very cool bike, and there's a 2012 Shiver with 20 miles on it listed on Ebay right now for $8500. If I hadn't just bought a DL 1000 I'd be seriously thinking about that bike.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
yeah, I told my wife I want to ride every different kind of bike out there before I die. Then I followed up with "at least I don't want to ride every different kind of woman before I die". She said, "The number will be two and then you WILL die". LOL!

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 AM

Heh, us - tough guys on bikes... and our wives - tougher yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode