Yamaha Tracer 900 GT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 05:51 AM

Garage
Yep. Was reading about that the other day. Will be interesting to see how much of a price shift occurs due to the upgrade.

--------------------------------
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
post #3 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 07:49 AM

Garage
I read cruise control and it got my interest up. If only it had a driveshaft I would be waiting in line.
weljo2001, BEACHBUM, Turk and 2 others like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

You would almost think that the design team were members of this forum and had been listening to complaints of the Versys, such as the seat, seat height, etc.
post #5 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 10:25 AM

Garage
I've twice ridden the previous FJ-09. To me it felt like the Versys 650 with a better engine. The deal breaker for me though was the high frequency handlebar vibrations that made my hands go numb and ache. It sounds like they have fixed the annoyances. On paper the GT sounds like the perfect bike. Aftermarket always offers better price/performance than OEM though for things like heated grips and side bags though. Nothing sounds as sexy as the turbine rush of a triple.

MSRP is $12K CDN for base model.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-12-2017 at 10:36 AM.
post #6 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 02:43 PM

You would be better off buying a one or two year old leftover or used Fjr1300 for that price or just buy a V1k.

60% of the time, it works every time
post #7 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 05:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
You would be better off buying a one or two year old leftover or used Fjr1300 for that price or just buy a V1k.
For me the electronic cruise control makes it more advantageous than the V1k and I am not a I-4 guy. Personally, I would love for them to bring a Tracer 700 with all the same amenities and a better chain adjuster mechanism.
16VGTIDave and Scott Zinda like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 06:42 AM

Garage
Yep, cruise control on a bike in that price range is impressive.

--------------------------------
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
post #9 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 05:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididar View Post
Yep, cruise control on a bike in that price range is impressive.
Not sure about US market but for now GT is not available in Canadian market, only the base model in black with blue rims.
post #10 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
While both excellent bikes the Tracer has a distinct weight advantage over each of them. I also like that the Tracer has a smaller wheelbase like the Versys 650.

I'm definitely going to take a look at this new Tracer when it's available. Really like the instrument cluster too.

post #11 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:10 PM

I demoed the FJ-09 and Gen 3 V650 back to back in 2015. Loved the engine but couldn't get past the vibes :-/ Two FJ deal breakers for me were the lack of side cases that could fit a helmet and more importantly (imho) the passenger/cargo cases limitations,

The FJ could take a pillion and side cases, but NOT passenger + side cases + top case. The V650 and its beefed up subframe could accommodate all three (subject to max weight limits of course---but at least the option was there)

Curious to know if that's been addressed with the Tracer 900...
post #12 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:54 PM

I suspect this may be replacing my V650. The cruise control is definitely a big selling point. My biggest gripe about both the V1k, Ninja 1k and the Connie is the lack of cruise control (especially on the Connie given how expensive it is). I am hoping the Tracer 900 finds its way onto the spring demo truck, the bike is confirmed for the US market for mid-2018 (possibly as early as April as the Niken is confirmed for April and also says "mid-2018).

I've also considered a used FJR, but used FJRs are hard to find, especially ES models. I test rode a 2015 non-ES model and it rode decently, but definitely reminds you every time you stop that it is a top heavy 650lb bike, but would really want to get a 2016+ ES model.

The H2SX is also tempting, but not sure I want to spend 22k on a bike (even if I can afford it).

but at this point I am definitely ready to upgrade beyond my V650, I have a 2009, the vibration is a problem as is the lack of power (the Kawi 650 motor HATES high elevations and I live at 6000ft)
post #13 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 07:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk View Post
I demoed the FJ-09 and Gen 3 V650 back to back in 2015. Loved the engine but couldn't get past the vibes :-/ Two FJ deal breakers for me were the lack of side cases that could fit a helmet and more importantly (imho) the passenger/cargo cases limitations,

The FJ could take a pillion and side cases, but NOT passenger + side cases + top case. The V650 and its beefed up subframe could accommodate all three (subject to max weight limits of course---but at least the option was there)

Curious to know if that's been addressed with the Tracer 900...

Really? I see on the GIVI USA website that you can get mounts for the V35 side cases, or mounts for the outback adventure type cases. The photo for the outback cases shows side cases and top case mounted on the bike. The photo of the V35 mounting hardware show the top case rack as well.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 07:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
I suspect this may be replacing my V650. The cruise control is definitely a big selling point. My biggest gripe about both the V1k, Ninja 1k and the Connie is the lack of cruise control (especially on the Connie given how expensive it is). I am hoping the Tracer 900 finds its way onto the spring demo truck, the bike is confirmed for the US market for mid-2018 (possibly as early as April as the Niken is confirmed for April and also says "mid-2018).

I've also considered a used FJR, but used FJRs are hard to find, especially ES models. I test rode a 2015 non-ES model and it rode decently, but definitely reminds you every time you stop that it is a top heavy 650lb bike, but would really want to get a 2016+ ES model.

The H2SX is also tempting, but not sure I want to spend 22k on a bike (even if I can afford it).

but at this point I am definitely ready to upgrade beyond my V650, I have a 2009, the vibration is a problem as is the lack of power (the Kawi 650 motor HATES high elevations and I live at 6000ft)
The only way I would choose the FJR ES over the new Tracer 900 GT would be because of the shaft drive and electronic suspension. Otherwise the 900 would be a better all around bike for many different types of roads. I still like the looks of the Concours so much more than the FJR. I tried a Super Tenere ES and I liked it but was disappointed that in the soft setting the suspension still transferred the bumps to the rider much more than my Triumph Trophy SE did when it was set on soft.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I read cruise control and it got my interest up. If only it had a driveshaft I would be waiting in line.

When i get rid of the V-1000. I think this will be the next bike for me...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
When i get rid of the V-1000. I think this will be the next bike for me...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNOCmWYUz7A
The newly redesigned Multistrada 1200s seems awesome too. What's an extra $1000 or two on a $20K bike Another bike like this I road and really, really liked was the MV Agusta Turismo Veloce. It's incredibly light, fast, agile, fully optioned out and smooth and refined. Another way of saying this is that it is effortless to ride fast or slow. You'll also have fun saying the name If money was no object it would be the bike I would own.

Triumph triples make an amazing sound and are smooth as silk. Not sure why but the Triumph Tiger 800 I road was perfectly smooth but the Yamaha FJ09 I road last summer made my hands numb with high frequency vibration. The Triumph 800 I road was an XC version, which because of the narrow dual sport tires did not feel as secure leaned over as the Versys. The XR might be a better choice for those not spending a lot of time enduro riding. The old FJ09 felt exactly like the Versys 650 only with more power. Triumph and Ducati bikes seem to exude more fit and finish quality and refinement than Japanese bikes although they are not apparently any more reliable.

weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-20-2017 at 12:12 PM.
post #17 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
When i get rid of the V-1000. I think this will be the next bike for me...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNOCmWYUz7A

It is an amazing machine! The rider triangle was too big for me though, but should be perfect for you. The only thing I didn't like about my Triumph Trophy SE was the weather protection made it a miserable ride here in the south 6 months out of the year.
weljo2001 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
It is an amazing machine! The rider triangle was too big for me though, but should be perfect for you. The only thing I didn't like about my Triumph Trophy SE was the weather protection made it a miserable ride here in the south 6 months out of the year.

HaHaHa....A Snow Bird complaining about the weather...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
The only way I would choose the FJR ES over the new Tracer 900 GT would be because of the shaft drive and electronic suspension. Otherwise the 900 would be a better all around bike for many different types of roads. I still like the looks of the Concours so much more than the FJR. I tried a Super Tenere ES and I liked it but was disappointed that in the soft setting the suspension still transferred the bumps to the rider much more than my Triumph Trophy SE did when it was set on soft.
The shaft drive on the FJR is nice, but it is a heavy bike and the weight is up high. Flip side is the FJR is rock solid stable when leaned over, the same can't be said for the Versys which gets a little squirrely when leaned over past a certain point. I am still disappointed in Kawi for not putting cruise on the updated Ninja 1k. The H2SX might be too aggressive for some, and will be the only way to get cruise on a Sport Tourer from Kawi. I am actually more surprised Yamaha decided to make the Tracer GT the 900, I was actually expecting a MT-10 based sport tourer and the MT-10 is still the cheapest bike (The Tracer 900GT might steal this title if it is cheaper than the MT-10) on the market with cruise control which has caused a lot of people to actually slap bags on them and use them as sport tourers.
post #20 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Really? I see on the GIVI USA website that you can get mounts for the V35 side cases, or mounts for the outback adventure type cases. The photo for the outback cases shows side cases and top case mounted on the bike. The photo of the V35 mounting hardware show the top case rack as well.
@ twowheeladdict, last I checked in 2015 that was definitely a spec limit of the FJ-09. I found out at the very last moment as I was struggling to decide which bike to go for (I even did up an Excel spreadsheet :-/ If my memory serves me right, I believe I located that info in the FJ-09 owners manual. I downloaded the PDF manuals for both bikes (I usually do that for bikes I'm considering---to learn about weight limits, fuel requirements, maintenance intervals, etc.)

As for aftermarket options such as GIVI and/or their advertised accessory conifguration displays, I never considered that area. Just wanted to get it straight from Yamaha.

* Also forgot to add that my legs were more cramped on the FJ. The Versys' footpeg positioning felt much more relaxed and comfortable; but still sporty enough not to get in the way during a track day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode