Buell Adv Bike?!? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Buell Adv Bike?!?

I was rolling through town today and saw a guy on a sick yellow and black adventure bike today. Looked a hell of a lot like a V until he went past. Side by side headlights, a more naked front end and Buell badging on the tank. Anyone have any idea what this magnificent beast was?!?

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM
NYG

It was a Buell Ulysses. It was a 1200 cc adventure-type bike, and if Buell hadn't gone under, there was probably a decent chance it was going to be my next bike.
I'm not sure if it had any off-road capability, but it was a cool American V-Twin without having to ride a Harley.
Hope this helped.

Mike
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Mike! It looked like a fun bike, hard to believe they loaded a 1200 into that nimble looking chassis...

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 AM

The first time I saw one and sat on it I was in love!

Then I read an article in a bike magazine that did a "long term" report on it. Broke kickstand, both peg mounts broken and had to be welded, rattling body parts and on and on....it was crazy.

So I hung my head, turned and walked slowly away. That was the day I saw my first Versys!

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Peter Egan owns a Buell Ulysses and has made a number of very positive comments about this bike in his monthly Cycle World article. While some may think that moto journalists are motivated to wax favorably about the products of their advertisers...I hardly think that could be Egan's motivation in his endorsement of the Ulysses.

FWIW, a clean, low mileage Buell XB12XT is on the shortlist in my search for a bike to replace the Versys.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:47 AM

I've heard the Ulysses is a pretty decent bike. The only downside I've heard about Buels (in general) is that the rear cylinder and exhaust header can overheat the rider in hot weather. I like how it fits the rider like my V.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I've heard the Ulysses is a pretty decent bike. The only downside I've heard about Buels (in general) is that the rear cylinder and exhaust header can overheat the rider in hot weather. I like how it fits the rider like my V.
That it the living trueth. My XB12 would cook you.

That aside in 28,000 miles I was never let down by the bike. Only problem was a leaking rear rocker cover gasket, that fried the fan, but both were covered by Buell. ALL in all I said the tales about how junky they are should be taken with a grain of salt. After all my Buell never left me on the side of the road but my KLR did. AND when I had a problem Buell steped up to the plate...Kawasaki ran and left me on my own.

As far as the Uly being a real off road bike, it's just as good as a Versys is!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 08-09-2012 at 11:25 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 PM

Garage
My buddy's Buell is a nice bike, but has had it's share of electrical issues, including the front cylinder cutting out when riding in the rain... I think he's solved that one. Something about the bike having some engine vibrations and loosening the sparkplug boot (or something like that).

You can definitely hear him approaching, it's not a quiet bike.

'09 Versys
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post

You can definitely hear him approaching, it's not a quiet bike.

Have ridden with a couple of Buell's. Yea your never gonna sneak up on someone with one.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
When I test rode one, the TWO 'deal-breakers' for me, were ONE - the heat onto my right knee was KILLER, and SECOND - the lack of steering-lock. I found out about the SECOND one as I tried to turn the bike around after the ride and came close to dropping it.
BECAUSE I was standing on the 'pegs I got away with it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 PM

The Ulysses was like the Versys in that it had a heavy pavement/sport bias for an adventure bike. It was also nicely styled.

IMO though these days there are better alternatives on the market and the Harley affectionatos seem to keep the price of used Buells higher than they are worth as a rideable motorcycle by treating them like collector bikes.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
The Ulysses was like the Versys in that it had a heavy pavement/sport bias for an adventure bike. It was also nicely styled.

IMO though these days there are better alternatives on the market and the Harley affectionatos seem to keep the price of used Buells higher than they are worth as a rideable motorcycle by treating them like collector bikes.
The used ones around here go cheap but after reading a couple of reviews and holy sh#%.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode