Ducati launches dual sport Scrambler - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Smiley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ducati launches dual sport Scrambler

Ducati now has more Scrambler variants than some manufactures make models. The latest is the "Desert Sled" which replaces the Urban Enduro and is more than just a styling exercise. It has new 19 & 17 inch wheels and much longer travel suspension, reinforced frame, etc.. Kind of a new take on the dual sport adv. bike.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-26-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:13 PM

I considered a Ducati Scrambler before I bought the Versys but the nearest dealer is in Denver, Co.......too far away.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 06:39 AM

Garage
The desert sled has been out for a while. I test rode the ducati scrambler and really liked it for a local riding bike. I'm just not willing to pay over MSRP for a motorcycle no matter how good I think it is. If a lightly used one pops up for sale within 250 miles from me I might go for it.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Garage
Love that "tubolar" frame description! Begs the obvious tub-o-lard moniker.

That aside, nice bike.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I road with someone on a 400km ride last Saturday who was on one. They loved it but had to install an aftermarket shield as they said the upright riding position and no wind protection don't mix well at 60mph/100kph + speeds. A different friend also has one and said something similar, in their case they installed the optional bikini fairing Ducati sells.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 02:05 PM

Garage
Gotta give it to Ducati, that is one cool looking ride! Always loved the air-cooled two-valve engines (assuming they ARE still two valve?).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 03:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I road with someone on a 400km ride last Saturday who was on one. They loved it but had to install an aftermarket shield as they said the upright riding position and no wind protection don't mix well at 60mph/100kph + speeds.
Your friend is a pu$$y.
Kidding aside, when I started to ride the only bikes with 'windshields' were really ugly fat slow Harleys that none of us young guys would be seen riding. I rode from Ontario to what was called British Honduras (now Belize) through Mexico and then back home on a 'Black Max' Honda 450. Left in November and rode through wet snow for two days. Nearly froze my nuts off, but I made it unscathed- other than being thrown in a really nasty Mexican jail for ten days, but that is another story.

I rode "naked" bikes for over forty years, then two Concours. Now I'm on my V with only the stock shield- what we used to call a flyscreen- always in the lowest position. I have an accessory screen that I do put on in cold weather, but honestly, it is not much good. Wind is mostly kept off my chest but a weird cold draft always hits me in the stomach and I hate it. Better to use the stock screen and stuff a newspaper under my chest to keep the cold out- that is what we used way back when motorcycles had wooden wheels.
Now I sound like a feckin' geezer, but seriously, riders are spoiled today.
twowheeladdict and 407guy like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 05:32 AM

I test rode a Desert Sled at the super bike races at Laguna Seca last summer. Really nice bike! It felt very well put together, polished, and refined. The suspension is really good...not too firm, but also really good control. I was a little underwhelmed by the engine though. It felt really soft (for lack of a better term)...it was smooth, but just had no sense of urgency to it. I'm not a guy who gets on a bike I've never ridden before and immediately pins the throttle or goes nuts on it; I prefer to get to know a bike and get comfortable with it. Yet on that roughly 8-ish mile test ride, I bounced off the rev limiter twice, trying to get a little more power out of the engine. Maybe the stock gearing is really tall, but the V650 feels stronger to my highly-tuned butt-dyno.

soldierguy
'16 Versys 650
'96 BMW R1100GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode