V650 Reduced Weight/V900 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
V650 Reduced Weight/V900

Has anyone read if one or both of the following are in the works from Kawasaki?

Weight reduction on the Versys similar to what was done on the ER6n to Z650? I understand the added structure for the fairing and side cases will never allow as much weight reduction as they made on the naked bike but one might assume they could make some strides in that direction.

Also, any word if they will Versys-ize the 900? It would make sense to me to push the V1000 up to a 1200 class and add the 900 as a 'tweener. I've seen the Retro version of the 900 and it looks interesting but it's still a naked bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 02:08 PM

No indication any of that is in the works for the immediate future via spy shots or recent articles I have seen. The retro Z900RS models, a supercharged 'sport-touring' bike, and bringing the Ninja 400 to the USA are basically confirmed to be unveiled in November. Beyond that its a mystery.

A Versys 900 would make sense to compete with Yamaha FJ-09. If they did a V900 I agree the V1000 would need to be dropped or become a 1200. Weight reduction would be nice but its not the kind of thing we would find out about before a bike comes out.

I have been hoping the introduction of the Versys X-300 means they are going to do a more off-road worthy Versys X-650, but thats probably as likely as the KLR getting fuel injection and USD forks. I dont think the Versys family moves enough units to justify loads of model expansion sadly.

At the same time, many motorcycle journo articles claim Kawasaki has over 10 new models to release for 2018 so they could have some surprises in store for us. The KLX 250 was just reintroduced with EFI added and I dont think anyone saw that coming.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply and information.

Just in case some Kawasaki marketing types read these forums...

Yes, I would be interested in a slightly smaller, lighter version of the V1000 (read that V900) that still offers a performance gain over the 650.

In lieu of that I would also be interested in a reduced weight V650 if one were available.

Like I said, just in case Kawasaki is listening...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode