A good friend crashed twice today. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
A good friend crashed twice today.

A very good friend of mine is getting into road bikes for the first time but has alway's rode off road bikes but he crashed his 250cc hornet twice today.

Once following me as i turned into a garage as he turned to late and applied front brakes in a bit of a panic to follow me. bent foot brake lever, small ding in tank, right knee on armour pants had slight tear but he was okay.

2nd time out on open road on a sharp s bend just after i passed him hard and fast on first past of a S bend going wide around on opposite side of road (plenty of visibilty for any on coming traffic), according to him he may of braked in the 2nd part of S bend as he thought he was going to fast. He is very shaken up but is glad he took my advice to wear armour pants a few weeks back as he is just on a learners licence, he knee is a bit sore but he is a doctor so he can treat himself. More damage to right knee on pants, some glove damage, indicator is loose and is on all the time but not flashing.

Was riding Ninja 1000 and he may of been tring to keep up the pace I was going around the corner and my lovely wife also reminds me of how in the past it give her a fright when i would pass her at pace if she did not see me coming. Feel bad about it as i got take some responsibilty for looking after my mate. Two other riders were also with us and they did not see the 2nd accident but the first they did say i did give plenty of indication but he was caught out my how quick the ninja can brake and how sharp/sharp I turned into back entrance of garage and he may not of been watching and suddenly relized and panic brake and turned bars at same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:55 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
that's sad to hear. teach the msf classes and one of the first things we try to convey is... don't turn those handlebars and then use that front brake...

boom, down u go.

Done half a doz track safety days plus time with the real race guys on a couple of have a go days including my claim to fame of asking one young NZ champion in his class if he could keep up with the V, I thought i was ahead of him till he lapped me lol.

The two accidents i have to take some ownership as I invited him out for a ride with a couple other riders who are really experinced. First accident I probably turned very sharp and brake on straight a bit hard but the Ninja 1000 abs has very good brakes and can stop on a dime. 2nd incident i should not have passed a noice like that on the outside of a corner as it may of thrown him off by his target fixation on me rather than tricky corner coming up on 2nd part of S which has more hook back than most rider's think, I did not see in my mirrors as already had head down bum up trying to catch my mate on a z750 who was still half a click ahead.

After lunch today i am going around to assist my ery sore friend put the hornet on his trailer to take in bike shop first thing tommorow morn, he has a bike test this wed for his restricted bike licence. We have 3 stage's, learners, restricted and full bike licence.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:54 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

This is the process in NZ to get your motorcycle license.
A learner license must be held for 6 months before the restricted license test may be sat.

The minimum amount of time spent on a restricted license is different depending on the applicants age. It can also be decreased by completing an approved course (commonly referred to as a Defensive Driving Course). For riders under the age of 25 the restricted license period is 18 months with the period decreasing to 6 months for those aged 25 or over. Both these periods can be decreased with the completion of one of the approved courses, lowering the periods to 12 months and 3 months respectively.

Therefore the minimum time to obtain a full motorcycle license can be between 9 and 24 months, depending on the above factors.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Photo taken after first drop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode