Thinking about adding another bike to the stable soon - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thinking about adding another bike to the stable soon

Really liking the look and feel of the XT250 from Yamaha. However I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a used Super Sherpa also.

I heard the Super Sherpa's were a great machine. Add in used the price point is a lot better considering I would most likely have to buy different gear. But there is just something about a new engine that I love.

Anyone have experience with both bikes? I'm looking mainly at these two because I feel for a first dual purpose the mid range seat heights will be a better fit for me till I get comfortable enough to graduate to a bigger dual sport later. Versys will be for commuting and travel and the second machine will be for a dual sport to learn some additional skills I feel I need. Other suggestions are welcome.

P.S. I would love to have a BMW but I feel the 650's are so close to the Versys that it would be redundant. Never ridden one so I wouldn't know. Would prefer something in the 250cc range.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeV; 05-03-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Lol, I traded my XT250 to get my Versys. It wasn't a bad bike, but it wasn't enough bike for my commute to work (includes 6 miles of superslab..). Lots of good stuff about the XT though. Very dependable, light handling, easy on the gas, simple air cooled motor. The stock tires are terrible, I changed them for distanzia's. Should have gotten something with a little more bite than the Distanzia's great on road, not the best off road. Not too many farkles available when I got mine, there should be more by now. The seat seemed short for me, (I'm 5'-10") as I was always riding all the way to the back of the seat. In the dirt, because it is a dual sport it's not as capable as a straight up dirt bike. ie.. small jumps will bottom out the suspension. However it's not a bad compromise if your just into a nice laid back trail ride. BTW 65 mpg+ average.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

This will be a mostly around town scoot to get to the backroads and trails near my house.

You hit the nail on the head with what I want and to do:

Lightweight
Dependable
Easy to manage
Light trails and gravel

I'm hoping to find a used one if I can, because I have the feeling me and the ground will become all to familiar with each other and I'd rather not practice my off road skills on my Versys and something much lighter would be great for when I go say hello to Mr. Ground. I'm 5' 8" on a good day so the ergonomics seem to fit with my height for a learning machine.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Here's one o Ebay, in Virginia: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item27c689b670

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 PM

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
Wierd the worldwide site lists the seat height in MM and when you convert its like 34 yet the US has it as 31.9. Wierd.

Found it on the Honda site for US. thanks Ivan.

"Why do I ride?"

Last edited by MikeV; 05-03-2012 at 02:22 PM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Who knows about those numbers. Bike isn't out yet.
Off-road people are concerned about the weight (compared to WR/KX) but sturdier and simpler components have their benefits.

This one is more on the trail then on the city-commute side. It's not a 'hard enduro', so it should work in urban environment.
I like the concept and because it's being made outside of Japan (Thailand?) price should be nice and low.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 PM

klx250s is also a great bike. If you want something super cheap and a super light check out the kawi ke100 too.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
Ooooo Ooooo Ooooo another 250 dual sport with FI.... I was hoping Kawasaki would bring in the KLX250SF with fuel injection...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Ok now I picked up its the crf250 not 230.

Yeah seat height is more than I want but still neat.

"Why do I ride?"

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM

Sherpa, XT, & KLX offerings are all great options.

Have an XT225, & have ridden the KLX250.

However....the Yamaha WR250R (any year..they're all basically the same) is the most fun DS bike i've ridden or owned at any displacement.

Took 3 months to find the right one at the right price on craigslist...but Wow.

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:06 AM

First real world reports of the new Honda:

http://rideasia.net/forum/bike-talk/...out-t1882.html
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 AM

I added a Yamaha TW200 as my "play" bike (woods, trails, gravel, sand, snow, etc). It's great fun to ride a small displacement bike "all out." The TW will go anywhere (if you don't need to go over 65mph sustained). Each bike has it's pros/cons. I like both my Versys & TW just as much but for different reasons.

Thinking about getting a WR too.... I'd like to have a 250cc with FI.

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)

Last edited by Kankujoe; 05-15-2012 at 05:44 PM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Really liking the look and feel of the XT250 from Yamaha. However I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a used Super Sherpa also.

I heard the Super Sherpa's were a great machine. Add in used the price point is a lot better considering I would most likely have to buy different gear. But there is just something about a new engine that I love.
I have a 2009 Super Sherpa that I bought new at my dealer a little over a year ago. I’m almost at 5K miles now and it’s been a great bike; more of a street oriented, non-competitive duallie than others I’ve owned, but very rugged in comparison. I use it for everything from commuting to work, to local trails (forest roads and like), errands, dual sport gatherings and I’ve done some minimalist touring on it…and plan to do more on the touring side. I re-geared for a top speed of 80mph (read on my gps) and I get a consistent 65mpg city and north of 70mpg otherwise. Ugly as sin, but it's one of the finest and funnest dual sports I've owned. On the seat height its 33 inches, but plan on another one or two inches for a good airhawk if you ride it more than fifty miles.

Last December I did a 750 mile tour of South Florida and Everglades National Park with it…had an awesome time!

Check out the Super Sherpa Thread over on Adventure Rider for all the requisite mod insight. I’m XRWilly over there.

Quote:
P.S. I would love to have a BMW but I feel the 650's are so close to the Versys that it would be redundant. Never ridden one so I wouldn't know. Would prefer something in the 250cc range.
If you have an eye for BMWs, they made a smaller dual sport model from 2008-2010…the G450X…which was discontinued back when BMW bought Husquvarna. I still see them around though, including from time to time new models in eBay still sitting on dealer showroom floors. This model has all the high-tech bells and whistles including EFI and dual-mapping, plus some interesting suspension and weight distribution characteristics. My 2009 G450X in the photo below was dressed more for single track, so don’t let that influence you…it was a cool DS motorcycle and I know many who use them much like I currently use my Sherpa. Unfortunately, I needed to unload a motorcycle when I got my XT1200 last fall and when it came down between the G and the Sherpa…the SS was the bike I decided to keep for my lites dual sport.

P.S. I think the TW200 is a cool dual sport and would like to own one some day.

Bill -- 2012 Versys
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to hold out for the Super sherpa even if used.

Tampa eh? I grew up in Town and Country and my family is spread out across Tampa in all four corners. If I ever get my dual sport maybe you could show me some places to go with it.

"Why do I ride?"

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 AM

All of those are dead slow, boring.

The new Husky TE250 comes in a low version for '12. Great bike.

A DRZ would be better than all of them, even if it is rather dated technology by today's standards.

The G450 is a nice bike but a white elephant today. It was a bomb, turned over to husky when bmw bought them, became the current 449/511. Probably too much bike for the OP. Jury is out on the new husky flock, but so far well recieved.

The WRR is very popular and well liked, even if a bit down on power. Still will run circles around the klx, sherpa, or xt. And it has efi. Visit www.bigdogadventures.com for really good info on setting it up for adventure riding.

The tiddlers are great for teens and wives; you would very soon grow out of any of those.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Tampa eh? I grew up in Town and Country and my family is spread out across Tampa in all four corners. If I ever get my dual sport maybe you could show me some places to go with it.
You bet! I'm in the Northeast corner, Temple Terrace specifically.

Bill -- 2012 Versys
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Other suggestions are welcome.
Would prefer something in the 250cc range.
Lots of pics are coming out on this new Honda CRF250L. Mostly from Asia. My dealer says they hit Wisconsin in late August. For $4500, there WILL be one in my garage.

The dealers I have talked to so far say USA only get's the red not the white.

I might have to buy a second set of supermoto wheels.

I am only 5'8" (a short cheesehead) so I like the seat height.

I am no expert on anticipated sales but I feel Honda will sell a boatload of these at $4500. People will commute and put these on the back of RV's.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Honda's new CRF250L

Here's a whole thread on it on ADV: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785467

My buddy Jerry started the thread, he's a big Honda fan. He's got a XR650R and CRF250X, both plated.

EDIT: Here's another thread on the new Honda: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740737

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

Last edited by CJBROWN; 06-06-2012 at 12:14 PM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 PM

I did pick up a Honda CRF250L. I trailered it home last night. $4499 +tax+freight+title fee I spent just shy of 5 grand.

I scored a bike shoe on craiglist dirt cheap and it works very well

It needs a 13 tooth front sprocket
I put 21 miles on it today
I dropped it in a picked cornfield running against the rows-the rear got away on me
I am a short 5' 8" 30 inch inseam. I can flatfoot one foot and ball of foot the other. This isn't a rip snorter but I think I gonna have some fun on this lil thing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode