Can you identify these bikes? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can you identify these bikes?

My sister recently sent me these pictures of my grandfather on his motorcycle. She found them while she was clearing out my parents now empty home. Sigh. She thinks the pictures were taken sometime between 1915 and 1924 or so in or around Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. My grandfather passed away about 35 years ago.

Does anyone have any ideas on what types of motorcycles these are? I'm just curious to fill in some of the gaps as I never really knew my grandfather.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 PM

Unless someone here knows their antique motorcycles, I would call or drop a note to Dale Walksler, curator and founder of the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. He has a vast knowledge of antique and vintage bikes.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 07:49 PM

Those are great photos! That's awesome to have a piece of your family history like that.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 PM

I can't help you with the identification, but I thought I'd insert this photo of my Grandpa, (behind the bike), during WWI. Anybody who knows their military history and can ID this bike please chime in.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko0616 View Post
Unless someone here knows their antique motorcycles, I would call or drop a note to Dale Walksler, curator and founder of the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. He has a vast knowledge of antique and vintage bikes.
I did as you suggested and much to my surprise, I actually heard back from them. Not many places I deal with take the time to help a fellow out so it's a great feeling when someone does.

Their opinion is that the bike in the top photo looks to be a 1913 Indian Twin, and the second bike looks like a 1912 Excelsior with belt drive. Now I'm going to do some searching on these two bikes and see what kind of machine my grandfather was messing about on.

Thanks for the suggestion on where to get some information!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
I did as you suggested and much to my surprise, I actually heard back from them. Not many places I deal with take the time to help a fellow out so it's a great feeling when someone does.

Their opinion is that the bike in the top photo looks to be a 1913 Indian Twin, and the second bike looks like a 1912 Excelsior with belt drive. Now I'm going to do some searching on these two bikes and see what kind of machine my grandfather was messing about on.

Thanks for the suggestion on where to get some information!
Excellent! I'm sure WTT will help you as much as you need. If you're ever close to Maggie Valley, NC, it's worth a stop to see this place. I'm headed there in couple of weeks as part of a trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Good luck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The second photo does look like the 1912 Excelsior 998cc V-twin... On December 3rd 1912 at the one-mile track in Playa del Ray, California, it was the first motorcycle ever to officially surpass 100 mph, which is why your grandpa had to get one.

http://www.superxowners.com/history/early/ehistory3.htm

http://throttleyard.com/2011/03/30/x...ior-autocycle/

It had a long leather belt for the final drive... This one has a $28,000 tag on it:

Last edited by invader; 05-08-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode