Two new young bikers - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Two new young bikers

Last month, after a lot of pestering, my daughters finally got me to get them a dirt bike. It's a Yamaha TTR90 and right now it's a good size for them, especially for my 8 year old. They've both taken to it like ducks to water and now we may need to get a second one for my 10 year old, maybe a taller one like a TTR110 or Kawasaki KLX110. And maybe a TTR230 for me to go along with the Versys. My 8 year old usually rides it so slowly I'd swear there's no way she can keep it upright but she does. I tell her it'd probably be a bit easier to handle if she want just a tiny bit faster (like maybe so she's going 5 mph) but she's in her comfort zone so I don't push the matter.

Their Mom is very displeased about all of this "motorcycle nonsense" but the girls stay on our 1.5 acre yard, wear a helmet, are always supervised and have not been out of 1st gear, although I don't think that'll last much longer. They also have to get their homework done first and keep up their grades in school. It's all the same rules for them on the snowmobile. My two girls love American Girl dolls, the rumble of my very loud Mustang GT, riding a dirt bike and the smell of a two stroke snowmobile engine. What a pair of girls.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:47 PM

It has begun!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Outstanding!!!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 PM

Excellent! Great things start on tiny dirtbikes, if memory serves.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Very cool! You must be a proud dad.

Appleton, eh? I spent some time in nearby Neenah some 10 years back...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_ View Post
Very cool! You must be a proud dad.

Appleton, eh? I spent some time in nearby Neenah some 10 years back...
Proud, and worried. Having two daughters does that to a dad.

You left this area a short time after I moved here. My wife and I are originally from Canada (Ontario), having moved to the USA in June 2000. I work in Neenah and it's a nice 16 mile country road ride from home to work on the Versys. That's a great way to start a day. My ride home is usually twice as long because I rarely go straight home. It seems I always find some reason to take the long way home.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 08:37 AM

What a great thing for them to be doing.

I remember when my bike mechanic in the last town I lived in had a bike at the workshop for his six year old son. The boy would come there after school and ride it around the carpark. The dad put a limiter in the carby so it couldn't breathe all that good so the boy couldn't go as fast as he obviously wanted to.

It's been four years since I left that town, so I imagine there is a ten year old race prodigy in the making out there now.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Your a great dad, the girls will never forget it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Outstanding!

: )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Your a great dad, the girls will never forget it.
Thanks. I have my moments but it's a long ways from 100 percent of the time. I just hope when they're grown up a therapist will be able to fix the things in them that I've broken while raising them.

I want my kids to experience more than web sites and TV shows. They still play on the internet and watch some TV but the "gearhead gene" in them has been activated since they were toddlers.

I have fond memories of when I was a kid riding a Honda 50 Mini Trail and a Kawasaki 90 and then a Suzuki RM125. And of hitching a ride on a friend's snowmobile to the local ice rink while trying to hold on to my hockey gear duffel bag and hockey stick at the same time and him laughing like a maniac as he tried to make me fall off. I don't think so much about the bruises and a few minor broken bones that came along with my fun and I sure haven't told my wife about them!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:00 PM

I feel that everyone that gets a drivers license should be required to learn to ride a motorcycle. Your girls will be so much better car drivers for it!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
Excellent! Great things start on tiny dirtbikes, if memory serves.
congrats on the kids riding !
Even at 52 I still ride a pw80 and honda z50 with an 88 kit on a regular basis .I guess I never grew up . lol
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
I don't think so much about the bruises and a few minor broken bones that came along with my fun and I sure haven't told my wife about them!

Make sure you tell your daughters, they will love this part of your story.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:32 PM

do they always dress like twins when riding?

I just found a 70CC chinese dirt bike for sale on the side of the road for my GF's 11 yr old daughter. (she doesn't know it yet)

I ended up paying $20 for it! it needed a really good carb cleaning, and needs a new rear tire...but that's about it. Hope to have it running in the next couple of weeks(it might need new electrical wire...won't start even with a new plug)

Her mother disapproves...so I'm doing something right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode