Triumph Tiger Explorer test ride. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Triumph Tiger Explorer test ride.

Today was just the best day to take Triumphs new Tiger Explorer out and put her through her paces. On firing her up. the engine settles into a lovely mechanical whirr and it just sounds so much nicer than the likes of the ubiquitous inline four. There's just something so right about how Triumph can make their triples sound. Throwing my leg over to bring it off the sidestand was pretty easy and straddling the big Explorer, the first thing I noticed is how well balanced it seems. Now this is one heavy bike, heavier than the BMW 1200GS, but it hides its weight well. I snicked her into first gear, very quietly I may add, and off I went. The throttle being 'ride by wire' is very sensitive and if you are a bit ham fisted, you could end up po-going and lurching about back and forth. It doesn't take long to get the feel of how responsive the throttle is tho' and soon enough, I didn't have to think about not having a cable to pull. The gearbox also has to be praised. It has to be one of the best gearboxes I've ever had the pleasure of using, so smooth. It also helped to have a brilliant shaft drive set-up. It is super smooth also and I felt no backlash at all or any clunking like I have on the 12GS BM. It also looks much more robust than the BM offering and I'll bet that Triumph won't have the warranty claims that many GS owners will be familiar with.

Out onto the open road and I quickly settled in for a couple of hours saddle time. The engine pulls beautifully strong it seems anywhere in the rev range. It didn't matter if I was tootling in sixth gear at 20 mph or winding her on using the revs, this big girl just pulls and pulls. There's no lack of power (a claimed 135 bhp and 89lbs. ft torque), nor did I detect any flat spots throughout the range. Neither did I seem to suffer from any intrusive vibration and I was most impressed with how the engine performs. I took it off road down a gravelly track and into a field for a hoon around. The tyres are more suited to tarmac and you do notice the weight when you're sliding around on grass and I'm also very glad I didn't come a cropper as I wouldn't fancy having to lift her back onto its wheels.

Sense took over and I got back onto the road. Accelerating hard had the traction control cutting the power (another advantage of the ride by wire is it enables Triumph to add traction control and cruise control). It can be switched off, but I didn't want to waste any time trying to learn all the different settings you can programme into the bike as my time was limited. The instruments are very comprehensive with a good clear digital display for everything bar the rev counter.

The suspension front and back is by KYB with the front only having preload and the rear having (remote) preload and rebound. Personally, I'm not one who really mucks about with suspension settings and tend to just get on with the factory settings. Initially, I found the handling to be a tad on the heavy side and it didn't feel like it had the general ease of handling like the venerable GS has. Maybe this is down to the extra weight it's carrying over the BMW, but it's no way unpleasant and the longer I spent in the saddle, the better it got. And speaking of saddles, Triumph have possibly given all the new Explorer owners a seat that doesn't destroy your butt within 50 miles. This could be the bike that the likes of Sargent, Corbin etc. don't need to invest in developing a decent riders perch. Plus Triumph also do a comfort saddle as well amongst the many other accessories available for the Explorer. As for the brakes, well, they are excellent with loads of power (and ABS), but they do highlight the amount of dive in the front forks when used hard.

To sum up, the Triumph Explorer is aimed fair and square at the R1200GS and in virtually all respects, they have hit the mark and the ubiquitous BMW now has a serious rival. There's lots to like about this big Triumph and it comes across as a very high quality item. The only minor thing that I didn't like was the handlebars which felt too wide, too low and slightly too far forward. But I'm sure that those could easily be changed and that's about all I feel I would need to do to this bike to make it as perfect a bike as I would ever need. Yes, it could be lighter, but once moving, that weight disappears. It'll be interesting to compare it to the Honda CrossTourer when it becomes available, but I feel that this bike has been thoughtfully designed and is not entering the Adventure class just to steal a couple of sales from BMW. It won't outsell the beemer tho' as that bike is just too well established and its image too well imprinted on peoples minds (thanks Ewan and Charlie). But by heck, Triumph have down a marvellous job in bringing their latest masterpiece to the market and deserve to do well.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Very nice. I really like that triumph.Only thing i don't care for is the big exhaust.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Don't like the exhaust, but with electronic cruise control it just nudged out the Concours in my list of future bikes.

BTW: Ewan and Charlie did break the BMW didn't they? Plus they wanted different bikes to begin with and had to settle for the BMWs.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Very nice. I really like that triumph.Only thing i don't care for is the big exhaust.
+100- i think we have our friends at the EPA to thank for that

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 PM

I want one. Red, please...or maybe British Racing Green?

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I want one. Red, please...or maybe British Racing Green?
I've really got a thing for Blue.

Explorer_Scene2_1024 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 AM

Awesome report. For me right now, the 1200 is just "too much", but I seriously want to have cruise control on my Versys. Damn speed limits!

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Nice review, thanks Davy!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 PM

Garage
Went for breakfast. Chicken Fried Steak,Eggs,Hashbrowns with Biscuits & Gravy. Then went to Berts Mega Mall to look at the 2013 Triumph Explorer. Waiting on Kawasaki to bring out the Versys 1000 but I'm not a patience man. So i think the Triumph is in my near future.

IMG_1815 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1816 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1817 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1818 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1819 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1821 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1822 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1824 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Went for breakfast. Chicken Fried Steak,Eggs,Hashbrowns with Biscuits & Gravy. Then went to Berts Mega Mall to look at the 2013 Triumph Explorer. Waiting on Kawasaki to bring out the Versys 1000 but I'm not a patience man. So i think the Triumph is in my near future.

IMG_1815 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1816 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1817 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1818 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1819 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1821 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1822 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1824 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Bert's Mega Mall serves breakfast too, huh? My kind of dealership!

But damn! The only thing in all the photos bigger than the breakfast you had (looks great, btw) is the muffler on the Triumph. It's bloody enormous! Looks like it should fit a bike twice the size.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 08-22-2012 at 09:44 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Bert's Mega Mall serves breakfast too, huh? My kind of dealership!

But damn! The only thing in all the photos bigger than the breakfast you had (looks great, btw) is the muffler on the Triumph. It's bloody enormous! Looks like it should fit a bike twice the size.

The breakfast was great... Yea the exhaust would go.I've already started my farkle list for this one.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM

Is that biscuits and gravy with a side of biscuits and gravy?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
The breakfast was great... Yea the exhaust would go.I've already started my farkle list for this one.
Food and motorbikes now that how I like to spend my free time
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Is that biscuits and gravy with a side of biscuits and gravy?

Thats Funny....But not a bad ideal. Nah theres a chicken fried steak under all that gravy.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Food and motorbikes now that how I like to spend my free time

My most important decision of the day is what's for lunch

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode