Overnighter on the Ninja 1000 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Overnighter on the Ninja 1000

Went on a overnight ride on my Ninja 1000, put the airhawk cushion on and away i went, yes i still ride my Versys but had never taken the Ninja over most of these hilly roads. We were heading to Akaroa http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...sVcpF-1XvPEBHw

We started out from my home city of Timaru and drove the inland scenic road to Christchurch.

Feed stop on the way

We knew we had to drive through through Christchurch so our lead rider had googled the best way and with local knowlege he knew how to avoid heavy city traffic during lunchtime sat but he missed the turn and we ended up in heavy traffic at 26C or 79 F, had enough time to jump off bike and take a photo of us waiting for a train.

We arrived at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyttelton,_New_Zealand after the long hot ride through traffic, there is a really cool road tunnel just before the next photo which is just under 2 K long or 6460 feet so we made noise but could not compete with the Ducati 999. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyttelton_road_tunnel

In the hill roads just before we drop down to Akaroa.

Had some fun with this guy riding around the hills as the ducati can go!!

Last photo is where one of our cabins was at the motorcamp.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 03-18-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
We arrived at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyttelton,_New_Zealand after the long hot ride through traffic, there is a really cool road tunnel just before the next photo which is just under 2 K long or 6460 feet so we made noise but could not compete with the Ducati 999. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyttelton_road_tunnel.
It is damn hard for a Japanese bike to compete with that rich sound of a Ducati. Looks like a beautiful ride!

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM

so Kiwi, how did your body feel afterwards? did your back ask for some versys during the ride or was it content with the ninja? distracted by the thrust, perhaps.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like a great ride!! Love the scenery!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Nice country and trust you had a good ride with Z1.

keep the pictures coming and thanks

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
so Kiwi, how did your body feel afterwards? did your back ask for some versys during the ride or was it content with the ninja? distracted by the thrust, perhaps.
Body is fine as the ninja only has a forward lean angle of 15 degree for my height of 5'8. The seat is the problem but thats why i brought the airhawk cushion but when you riding with a ducati the thrust is a must

We finished the weekend with a race between the three fastest bikes on a country road on a 2 km stretch, a Z 750, the Ducati 999 and my Ninja 1000, left the ducati on the line up to 120 km/h then he flew past, my friend on the Z750 gave up on us when we hit 200km/h then at 230 kph i let the ducati have the road. The ninja 1000 is 138 hp and is supposed to be good for up to 265kph and the Ducati is 140 hp and is good for 270kph but has a higher top end power but i had him lower down.

Just for the record i do not do this very often but we had fun and made sure we done this with no other cars around.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Body is fine as the ninja only has a forward lean angle of 15 degree for my height of 5'8.
wow, 15*. that's trouble. [pulls out calculator]

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Great shots. Love the ninja 1k. Very nice bike. My sport bikes are going to consist of 250cc as anymore will result in me walking because of license suspensions. The versys is bad enough...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Looks like a fun day on the other side of the world! Today, here in SoCal the wind was how-ooo-ling - going 75mph on oceanfront highway 101 in Gaviota, CA and getting blown left and right. The ocean was a sea of white horses as a rare late Spring cold front moved on through. Frigging scary wind for riding. Tried to hide behind the windscreen but was still getting blown side-to-side. Wind picked up in the afternoon and I called it a day and headed for the barn, then rode my bicycle to the local microbrewery for a pint of award-winning Blackbird Porter. A fine way to start the (Memorial) Holiday weekend here!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Great shots. Love the ninja 1k. Very nice bike. My sport bikes are going to consist of 250cc as anymore will result in me walking because of license suspensions. The versys is bad enough...
The ninja could do with a radar detector but since i am cheap i just follow my mate on his Z750 as he spent over a $1000 on one.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 AM

If you could only have one which would you chose Ninja 1000 or Versys? Or better yet how can I convince my wife I need both?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebyrds View Post
If you could only have one which would you chose Ninja 1000 or Versys? Or better yet how can I convince my wife I need both?

Well if they bring the Versys 1000 to the states you'll have the best of both worlds.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebyrds View Post
Thats a tough question, not sure as love both bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode