A tempting bike from HONDA in the NC700X - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A tempting bike from HONDA in the NC700X

I was browsing Honda's site and noticed a new Adventure category bike. I'd say the NC700X is firmly positioned to be a Versys competitor. It doesn't quite match the performance specs of the Versys but it seems like it's aimed more toward fuel economy. I'm not sure how I feel about the seemingly tiny under the tail fuel tank but the space it leaves for cargo is awesome. I'd love a spot to safely store my helmet without resorting to a rear rack. And the accessories are above and beyond what Kawasaki offers.

Hmmmm. I'm not leaving the Versys behind anytime soon, but maybe I can convince my wife to buy one of these.

ABS is a great option to have in the U.S. but unfortunately it only comes with their new DCT shifting system. It does't sound exactly like an automatic but I'd need to ride one to form an opinion on it.

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda%20NC%20700X%2012%20%201.jpg
Views:	1822
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	14005   Click image for larger version

Name:	nc700x-Honda1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	14006  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 PM

A few differences that may not be readily obvious.

1) single disc in the front. stopping power?

2) regular front forks, not inverted.

3) about 20 lbs heavier, assuming mfg specs can be believed.

4) 1.3 gallon smaller tank... now that's gonna add up.

5) wheelbase is 60.6 inches. The V is 56.5. This is a big difference. One reason the V feels so nimble is the shorter wheelbase.

I like Honda's. But my V is working out great for me
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Gas is $1.36/L here (well over $5 US per US gallon) and even higher in Europe (i think $7 - $8 US per US gallon) so fuel economy is going to be a strong incentive to buy, especially in Europe.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Fuel economy is going to be very important going forward, NZ $2.20 per litre * 3.9 =$8.58 NZ a US gallon or $7.04 US per gallon.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I also drive a diesel VW. I can't figure out why more manufacturers are not selling diesel cars in North America, most already make and sell them in Europe.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I also drive a diesel VW. I can't figure out why more manufacturers are not selling diesel cars in North America, most already make and sell them in Europe.
I also drive a diesel VW. A 2011 Golf. I've been wondering the very same thing. Cruising around as aggressively as I like I get at least 38Mpg. More like 46Mpg when being conscious of it and taking it easy. Some owners have reported 50-55Mpg. I haven't even broken my engine in yet, so I only expect to increase what is already fantastic gas mileage.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:27 PM

My opinion - Not so tempting...

I saw this bike at the Charlotte International Motorcycle show and frankly didn't find it all that appealing. If I remember, it was the clutchless, toggle-switch geared bike on display just like the VFR one there.

I'd say it would be a good commuter, that's about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00426-20120226-1526.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	14007   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00427-20120226-1526.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	14008  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
...their new DCT shifting system. It does't sound exactly like an automatic but I'd need to ride one to form an opinion on it.
Take one for a ride if you can. I had the good fortune to test VFR1200F's with standard and dual clutches, back to back, with several other riders at a Honda product intro a little over year ago. You can read my blog entry here if you care to. It's well designed and works beautifully, but you won't know if you like it until you take one for a spin.

I like the look of that NC700X. One issue I have is the fuel filler under the seat. I usually pack camping gear in a waterproof back that I strap to the back seat. What a PITA that would be whenever I want gas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 PM

I want a bike with a longer wheelbase and ABS, if the auto clutch works well I will probably buy one of these in a year or two. I ride slow so the performance loss will not be significant to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode