Thinking of buying a KLR250 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Thinking of buying a KLR250

I came across a nice KLR250 at a reasonable price....I been looking for a 50-50 dual sport to ride locally. I was originally looking for a KLR650 but was thinking for the money this 250 may fit the bill...

Thoughts? feel free to talk me out of it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:03 PM

They are both dogs. Especially the smaller one.
If you want a tiddler dualsport look at the WRR.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

I'm well aware its not a power house and won't be snapping my neck from acceleration. It just looks like a decent light DS bike that can take a half decent trail and jump back out on the pavement to get you to the next trail head. With my limited off-road experience I figure light and under powered is probably best.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The KLR250 isn't much of a trail bike IMO. The KLX250 is better. The KLR650 is a beast to handle off road and needs upgraded suspension to make it decent.

Find a KLX400 or a DRZ400.

I have a Honda XR250L and it is light years better than the KLR250 as a dirt bike.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
The KLR250 isn't much of a trail bike IMO. The KLX250 is better. The KLR650 is a beast to handle off road and needs upgraded suspension to make it decent.

Find a KLX400 or a DRZ400.

I have a Honda XR250L and it is light years better than the KLR250 as a dirt bike.
+1

He's not gonna listen anyway.

I thought he was talking about a KLX. The only decent offroad bike Kawasaki has made is the KX and KDX. Both are good. The rest is junk. A KX is a track bike, and none of the KDX's came street legal but you might find one that somebody plated. Two or fourstroke, either would make a fine dualsport.

DRZ, WRR, XR's, can all be made into a fairly decent dualsport. The WR yamama is the most modern and up to date, and although a bit heavy and underpowered, it is nevertheless a highly regarded dualsport for lighter traveling.

If you spend any decent amount of time offroad with a KLR or KLX you will be selling it within a year. Or you may never come to understand how a bike is supposed to go offroad and just become disinterested in the whole affair.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

I listen to everything however....the KLX is more off than on....don't want 100% dirt bike if I did that's what I would be buying. Off-road to me is a dirt fire or logging road not single track...

As for the other bikes yo mentioned I haven't seen and great deals and the ones I have seen are beat to hell.

The folks on ADVrider have a different opinion of the bike several have put a lot of miles on their KLR 250s and have been very happy with it ....
No offense....Since they have owned and ridden one at length I have to take their views with more weight.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM

I had a KLX250 for a year or so before I got my Versys. It's a lot of fun in the woods or on the trails. Dirt roads are ok but they will soon all look alike. The forest service roads were just a way to get to the good trails. You'll want a bigger tank because after 70-80 miles I was on reserve. If you are going to go find some trails, get something small and light. You'll be picking it up a lot riding trails. That is if you challenge yourself at all. It's a nice change of pace exploring the woods. Find a friend that will ride with you, getting stuck in the woods can suck. Some of the places we ride here in Georgia, can be a long long walk to civilization if you break a chain or something.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:49 PM

I say go for it! I recently bought a small "underpowered" DS trail bike (TW200). I'm having a blast with it! I'm looking for another for my wife. Those little fat tires will go anywhere.

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:25 AM

For the love of god...DO NOT buy a klr250.... worst offroader i've ever ridden, and i grew up on dirtbikes... its comfortable on the road sure, and even off the road, but offroad traction and handling absolutely blow, not to mention the absolute PoS they call an engine in it... i've had bowel movements more exciting than riding that bike.

I love kawasaki but it's a horrid little wretch of a bike...i've heard the 650 has a dud engine as well.

I'd say buy a kx125 and make it road legal before i'd recommend the klr250...

Rant over

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
+1

He's not gonna listen anyway.

I thought he was talking about a KLX. The only decent offroad bike Kawasaki has made is the KX and KDX. Both are good. The rest is junk. A KX is a track bike, and none of the KDX's came street legal but you might find one that somebody plated. Two or fourstroke, either would make a fine dualsport.

DRZ, WRR, XR's, can all be made into a fairly decent dualsport. The WR yamama is the most modern and up to date, and although a bit heavy and underpowered, it is nevertheless a highly regarded dualsport for lighter traveling.

If you spend any decent amount of time offroad with a KLR or KLX you will be selling it within a year. Or you may never come to understand how a bike is supposed to go offroad and just become disinterested in the whole affair.
+1

My old Kx125 was by far the funnest offroad bike i've owned... my buddy had a kx250 and was wonderful as well, always contemplated rigging one up to be road legal, i suspect emissions would be an issue though lol.

I'd say go DRZ or XR if you want a dual sport...Never been on a WRR but i know guys who will never buy another dual sport.. almost got one myself but then i got my MC license and well, the Versys happened

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Offcamber,

Don't listen to the naysayers....the price is right, you want to get your feet wet in ds'ing. If it does not work out or you want more capability, sell it.

Little lost, plenty gained....Good luck.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If you are just going to explore and not planning on catching air or climbing powerline hills then get whatever you desire. Remember to keep the KLR250 properly tuned so you don't grow tired of kick starting it. Also, when looking for them make sure shine a flashlight into the fuel tank. Before I bought my DRZ400 I was looking at KLR250s and everyone of them had rust in the tank.

My next door neighbor rides a '04 KLR250 60 miles one way to work. He is closing in on 18,000 miles on the bike.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:50 AM
MTS

I sold my KLX 250 wrong move. Now looking for a used one and cann't find one. Klx 250 has a little less power than some little bikes but is water cooled and in the hot summer you will burn those air cooled bikes up! I know I've done it! Stay with the water cooled. All the little bikes are under powered what the heck are you kidding me! Go for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:55 AM

Go for it. These small displacement bikes are always in demand. If it turns out you don't like it. Then sell it. I'd bet you would get all of your money back even if you held on to it for a year or two.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 03:19 PM

I am also keeping my eyes open for a deal on a 250 dual sport. If you found a deal, go for it! My use will be just to tool around town running errands and not even off road. I don't want it because the Versys is not capable, I just want one. Hopefully I can find a KLX250SF (Motard) with the street tires.

I agree with giving it a shot. You can always sell it if you grow tired or bored with it. I have never had trouble selling a bike when I ask a reasonable price. and keep us posted!
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 04:08 PM

I found a beater '95 KLX250 last year for $775.00. I like it a lot, though I don't use it that much and of course prefer my '09 V for a mount. I say go for it. Craigslist can be a great source to find wanted items and even better to get rid of the unwanted.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Well haven't bought anything yet but now I found a Cherry 06 KLR650....if I can get a reasonable price on that I'm gonna go with that one...I think the seller is a bit desperate...the best kind
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Well haven't bought anything yet but now I found a Cherry 06 KLR650....if I can get a reasonable price on that I'm gonna go with that one...I think the seller is a bit desperate...the best kind
Lot of us here have, or have had, KLR650s. Good mount for anything EXCEPT tight single-track, or anywhere that you might end up on your side. IF you get it down, handlebars LOW, it's friggin' near impossible to get up by yourself! Happened to me once, where I searched till I found a 4" diameter log about 4' long to lever the "pig" up enough to get under and lift it.

LIGHT weight is your FRIEND in the woods....
(as is - riding with a buddy who's a weight lifter!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Made a deal on the 650...
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Made a deal on the 650...
Congrats! Details & photos when available please!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode