2012 Triumph Daytona 675R - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Well i tried to get my girlfriend sons into motorcycles hoping they would like to learn and use my Versys if they wanted to. but seems the oldest one is in love with the sportbikes. He's getting the 2012 Triumph Daytona 675R sweet little bike i have to say. But he can't get it or at least bring it home till he removes his 3 project cars from the driveway and clears out all the parts he has aquired for them that are taking up all the room in the garage. I was hoping he would start off on something else for his first bike but he's grown and has the money in the bank. so i tried my best to get him to start off with a used ninja 250 or something similar to ride on for about 6 months to get some experience and if he's going to drop a bike let it be the learner bike but its like talking to a wall and when i was his age i didn't listen to anyone either so "Live and Learn"

http://www.ttrno.com/2012-Triumph-Daytona-675R

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Judged by the tone of your post I was waiting for him to get on, put it in gear, rev it to the moon, dump the clutch and crash into the nearest tree....

Glad none of that happened.

Hope he enjoys the bike and keeps it upright.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Gorgeous, I fell for it after seeing it in a riding magazine. Certainly ain't a starter bike but fingers crossed he keeps her rubber side up and stays safe.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
He doesn't have it yet. i found the video on youtube to put along with the post to show the bike. He's going for his Motorcycle Safety Class this weekend using his buddies yamaha virago 250.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:34 PM

You are joking, right?
A complete novice on a Daytona?

It's not only about the dying and severe injury part it's also that he (or anyone else without experience) will be miserable on the bike. He won't' be able to use 10% of it. He'll be uncomfortable, insecure and frightened out of his pants.
And if he isn't, he is either the next Valentino Rossi or in serious denial.

I don't mind if someone wants to shoot himself in the head, but everyone should have the benefit of the knowledge of what those actions bring.

Cheers.

Last edited by Ivan V; 11-21-2011 at 03:36 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
He's going for his Motorcycle Safety Class this weekend using his buddies yamaha virago 250.
Definitely on the right track. Good for him!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
You are joking, right?
A complete novice on a Daytona?

It's not only about the dying and severe injury part it's also that he (or anyone else without experience) will be miserable on the bike. He won't' be able to use 10% of it. He'll be uncomfortable, insecure and frightened out of his pants.
And if he isn't, he is either the next Valentino Rossi or in serious denial.

I don't mind if someone wants to shoot himself in the head, but everyone should have the benefit of the knowledge of what those actions bring.

Cheers.
I agree with you. But he is 26 years old and i'm not his father but his mother is coming home for good in december. So i'll be able to voice my concerns to her at that time. She is in no way thrilled about him getting a bike the only reason she has agreed is because i've taught him how to ride. He is a responsible young man with his own money. When i was 18 i had a suzuki 1000 that i got with my own money and no ones permission so i have a hard time telling someone not to do what i did or would have done at that age.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Oh my! I can empathize with the "talking to the wall" bit, though it's not as bad with a daughter (at least in my case).

I've a nephew who's something like the young man you spoke of. Right, I'm young, I've got some cash, and I'm gonna buy a new car. I think it's going to be a Bugatti Veyron!

The first time he twists the daylights out of the throttle and forgets to hang on for dear life is going to be interesting. Hopefully he won't do serious harm to himself, the bike or, God forbid, some innocent who happens to be within striking range.

Good luck and, hopefully, good insurance.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 11-21-2011 at 03:56 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Oh my! I can empathize with the "talking to the wall" bit, though it's not as bad with a daughter (at least in my case).

Good luck and, hopefully, good insurance.

Yep he's got the insurance covered. That was the deciding factor in going for the Triumph the insurance on it was half what they wanted for a GSXR 750 he was looking at.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM

Nce bike, but not a "first" bike. What a beast!

Bit of a tough spot you're in Weljo2001. A responsible 26 yr old will have, I'm sure, taken your viewpoint into consideration.

When the "love bug" bites...well, you know...

Perhaps in the time it takes for him to clean out the garage and driveway
it'll have been enough time for the initial "cool down" process to take place.

Giving way to reason.

When my little bro was 18 he decided he wanted to go into debt and buy a Corvette. After a little discussion I found I had him pinned against the wall, ready to strike him, before I realized what I was doing.

It's funny how we can react when trying to "protect" a loved one from making a "bad" choice.

He made his own choice in the end, it wasn't a "Vette".

Don't envy your position in this Weljo2001.

Cooler heads will prevail.

Cheers, Gramps.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
Bit of a tough spot you're in Weljo2001. A responsible 26 yr old will have, I'm sure, taken your viewpoint into consideration.

When the "love bug" bites...well, you know...

Perhaps in the time it takes for him to clean out the garage and driveway
it'll have been enough time for the initial "cool down" process to take place.

Giving way to reason.

When my little bro was 18 he decided he wanted to go into debt and buy a Corvette. After a little discussion I found I had him pinned against the wall, ready to strike him, before I realized what I was doing.

It's funny how we can react when trying to "protect" a loved one from making a "bad" choice.

He made his own choice in the end, it wasn't a "Vette".

Don't envy your position in this Weljo2001.

Cooler heads will prevail.

Cheers, Gramps.

I don't think he'll do anything stupid my main worry is if something does happen it'll wind up being my fault for getting all this started.. Right now were pricing helmets and boots and all the protective gear he will need and he's getting quality stuff so i have to say i'm impressed with how he's going about everything.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:27 PM

Awesome bike for sure... He'll love it if it doesn't kill him.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yep he's got the insurance covered. That was the deciding factor in going for the Triumph the insurance on it was half what they wanted for a GSXR 750 he was looking at.
Really?! That's a very interesting piece of information. Best of luck to him.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:42 AM

I have to agree, BAD idea... don't envy you mate... i know when i was looking into my first road bike i was looking at FZ1's FZ6's and SV650's
Luckily i had an epiphany and decided on the V... decided it's good to get a base under your feet without having warpspeed at the disposal of my right hand.
And i had dirt bike experience, which has helped... Have you let him ride your V so he understands just how much power 68 HP is? the V isn't a slow bike to be sure. Hell, i probably wouldn't let my kids (when they come) start on a V... Even though i think it's handling is very noob forgiving).

I started my first 6 months of road riding on a rebel 250... great bike to learn on... easy to handle, power CANNOT get you into trouble even if you try, and it's a hoot in town!

Like i said don't envy ya mate, hard position to be in... don't want to be the overlord but if anything went wrong, i know i'd only blame myself

Best of luck to you/him, hope he keeps the rubber on the tarmac....beautiful bike too
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhFZ View Post
I have to agree, BAD idea... don't envy you mate... i know when i was looking into my first road bike i was looking at FZ1's FZ6's and SV650's
Luckily i had an epiphany and decided on the V... decided it's good to get a base under your feet without having warpspeed at the disposal of my right hand.
And i had dirt bike experience, which has helped... Have you let him ride your V so he understands just how much power 68 HP is? the V isn't a slow bike to be sure. Hell, i probably wouldn't let my kids (when they come) start on a V... Even though i think it's handling is very noob forgiving).

I started my first 6 months of road riding on a rebel 250... great bike to learn on... easy to handle, power CANNOT get you into trouble even if you try, and it's a hoot in town!

Like i said don't envy ya mate, hard position to be in... don't want to be the overlord but if anything went wrong, i know i'd only blame myself

Best of luck to you/him, hope he keeps the rubber on the tarmac....beautiful bike too

He's been learning on his friends 250. The Versys is just a tad tall for him but i bought a low gel seat for the V that will be here wednesday so he should fit. I really want him to ride the Versys hoping he might change his mind or think about a smaller bike to get comfortable on. If he's still not intrested in riding my Versys i'll have a perfect low gel seat up for sale.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 AM

Can he at least test a super-sport race machine to see for himself what is it about?

I would put a leg out to save bike that pretty and that expensive from falling. When you start thinking like that you're an idiot. Or ride a BMW.

P.S.
I also bought my first bike (Versys) with my money and zero experience against a lot of opposition from all sides. My mother cried for a month. It doesn't mean one should buy the fastest, race dedicated bike because he is strong minded or mature.

Last edited by Ivan V; 11-22-2011 at 04:48 AM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I'm 43 and still can't be told so hope it goes all well for him.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
I'm 43 and still can't be told so hope it goes all well for him.

Yep, I'm the same way.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 PM

Have you seen the HP/torque curve for that bike
That is one bad-ass "little" bike

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/69327/...-Shootout.aspx

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 11-22-2011 at 10:03 PM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
Have you seen the HP/torque curve for that bike
That is one bad-ass "little" bike

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/69327/...-Shootout.aspx

Yes Sir, That when i got worried and started this thread. Feeling much better now after seeing how serious he is about the riding gear he has purchased.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode