well, I decided against a versys.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
well, I decided against a versys..

proud new owner of a 2008 yamaha FZ6...

couldnt wait for the versys to come out in my area, and I test rode this bad boy and was hooked.

2002 DRZ 400S-in pieces on my garage floor for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:52 PM

Never could get used to the looks of the Fizzies myself, but only heard good about the ride! Enjoy!

2007 Versys, 2003 Magna, 2000 VTR1000
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:11 PM

Nice bike. I tested one before getting the Versys, and just didn't like the way it made power. I like my juice down low, and found you had to rev the piss out of the FZ to get any muscle. Would have driven me nuts!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 PM

I've never ridden one, but it looks nice. As for revving it high, with a 14000rpm redline, at least it looks like it's made to take it. Enjoy it zz321. Ride safe.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM

that's a shame......bet u would like the smooth power of the versys.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:38 PM

I like it! Congrats on the new bike. The FZ6 is a great bike and I've heard nothing but good from people that own them, I just didn't like the "wide" feel of the 4 cylinder motor. The slim feel of the V is much more suited to what I like. It just all comes down to preference and after coming off of singles, I know the FZ6 isn't wide, it was just wider than I would've liked.

Hopefully you enjoy it and you don't have to leave due to the different bike, stick around and let us know how it goes for you as I'm sure people here would love to hear ride reports and possible comparisons.

Ride it hard and keep the shiny side up!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 PM

Great looking bike, I love the looks of these bikes! I was almost going to get one but then I rode my friends 08 and it just didn't feel powerful enough. From what I have heard people saying on here about the V's power I think the V would out run it. I love the dash, I love the exhaust under the seat, the headlights, great looking bike! Also I felt just a little too much leaning down for the handgrips, not like the other crotch rockets but just a little too much for me, i like the more upright position of the V. Enjoy it though, great bike, I am going back up to look at your pictures again!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:14 AM

There's no way the V will outrun that little bad boy! You just need to keep it up at 10+rpm when it's go fast time. Very different motor feel from a twin.

I like it.

I had an FZ1, which was pretty insane in the acceleration department. I wasn't comfortable on it though (prolly not an issue on the FZ6....)), funny somebody mentioned this, it was in fact the width of the motor/tank that spread my legs out so far I always cramped up on the big Fazer. I bet I cramped up on 90% of the rides on one leg or the other and had to ride for a bit with one leg hanging down until it went away. I never got over that. I do miss the power though. One thing I don't miss is coming down from a wheelie, let off to fast and you'd crush your nuts! The V is so light and sweet and easy to manage compared to the big FZ1.

Have a good time on your new bike!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks folks...I will check in from time to time. The versys sat a tad high for my tastes, and I feel the fz6 is better looking... the fz6 riding position is very upright(see those risers?)...almost like the versys...but not quite as high. but no where near as low as a crotch rocket (which the fz6 isnt anyway)

Coming off of a big single myself, I do miss the immediate low end punch, but this fz would trounce my Athena equipped DRZ400S...off the line...all over. 100 rwhp will do that.

I may one day get a versys, I think it is a GREAT bike...I just couldnt pass up this fz once I sat on it, saw it and read about it.

KUDZOO: An inline 4 is much smoother than a parallel twin.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagg321 View Post
Thanks folks...I will check in from time to time. The versys sat a tad high for my tastes, and I feel the fz6 is better looking... the fz6 riding position is very upright(see those risers?)...almost like the versys...but not quite as high. but no where near as low as a crotch rocket (which the fz6 isnt anyway)

Coming off of a big single myself, I do miss the immediate low end punch, but this fz would trounce my Athena equipped DRZ400S...off the line...all over. 100 rwhp will do that.

I may one day get a versys, I think it is a GREAT bike...I just couldnt pass up this fz once I sat on it, saw it and read about it.

KUDZOO: An inline 4 is much smoother than a parallel twin.
I dunno, my FZ1 had the same exact fairing buzz, and put my hands to sleep/vibed way more than the V. I don't think this blanket statement applies to the V. Not mine anyway.

Enjoy the bike, it looks great.

PS, I've ridden DRZs, you're not saying much there by stating the FZ "trounces" it off the line. Hop on a 250 smoker, 450F etc, WHOLE different beast from the DRZ.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejt View Post
I dunno, my FZ1 had the same exact fairing buzz, and put my hands to sleep/vibed way more than the V. I don't think this blanket statement applies to the V. Not mine anyway.

Enjoy the bike, it looks great.

PS, I've ridden DRZs, you're not saying much there by stating the FZ "trounces" it off the line. Hop on a 250 smoker, 450F etc, WHOLE different beast from the DRZ.

It was an Athena 440 big bore with a Kehien FCR race carb and a gutted E model pipe... and I was talking about "off the line low end punch" only. this FZ will trounce a supped up drz that wheelies easily in 2nd gear.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 12:29 AM

LOL my point exactly, a DRZ that wheelies in 2nd gear. A real dirt bike wheelies easily in..........every gear, well...maybe not sixth.

There are all kinds of guys who dumped all kinds of $$ into DRZs and never obtained the performance of other dirt bikes. Nothing wrong with DRZs, one of my buddies kicks my ass climbing hills on his DRZ. It's the rider, not the bike....but I've ridden a few of them, and they're kinda dogs, and heavy. Ride a newer 250 2 stroke and get back with me, you'll GET IT right away.

Now go and enjoy that sweet FZ, and let us know how you like it.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:21 AM

Nice choice. I can see why you went with this bike - you get the underseat exhaust, a center stand and it comes with the rear wheel hugger that we are having to pay extra for. It's also got more modern lines and looks less like a parts bin bike. Even the mirrors are better than the V.

When the Versys was first coming out a few years ago I saw some pre-production pictures and it had some really cool mirrors on it. Then once it hit production - the mirrors were gone and parts bin mirrors installed instead. Oh well.

Still like the V a lot and it sure beats my BMW.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
LOL my point exactly, a DRZ that wheelies in 2nd gear. A real dirt bike wheelies easily in..........every gear, well...maybe not sixth.

not true at all...go over to Thumpertalk.com and read up. 4stroke singles dont wheelie in every gear...no matter what you do.

Oh well, my dirt bike days are over...ill report back about this fz. thanks for the compliments everyone.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:05 AM

The same thumpertalk that submitted that POS DRZ for the magazine for review? Great job Burned & company. LOL I can loft my stock Husky TE450, not a light 4 stroke, in third gear with a roll on, stock gearing. If I slip the clutch she'll come up in 4th, it's got almost 50hp, stock, and it's a lot lighter than a DRZ. A YZ250 (yeah, I said smoker) is even more snappy and lighter and will easily loft the wheel.

My first "thumper", '99 YZ400F. I don't have to go to Thumpertalk to read up. Sorry to get off topic.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The same thumpertalk that submitted that POS DRZ for the magazine for review? Great job Burned & company. LOL I can loft my stock Husky TE450, not a light 4 stroke, in third gear with a roll on, stock gearing. If I slip the clutch she'll come up in 4th, it's got almost 50hp, stock, and it's a lot lighter than a DRZ. A YZ250 (yeah, I said smoker) is even more snappy and lighter and will easily loft the wheel.

My first "thumper", '99 YZ400F. I don't have to go to Thumpertalk to read up. Sorry to get off topic.
well a husky is a different story...thats like buying a Ducati sport bike. I dont even consider them dirtbikes becasue they cost so darn much. but anyhoo...yeah off topic... back on topic....

I love my FZ.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagg321 View Post

I love my FZ.
That's what it's all about!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's what it's all about!
for sure.

I have got 118 miles on it thus far...rode in the wet today for the first time really...i took it WAY easy. Night time too and wet...REALLY took it easy then.

Great bike so far...but I dont even know what its like above 8k rpm's as I am strictly following the Yamaha factory break in procedure. I have only kissed 8k on the tach twice and for just seconds. I hear it will get up and go though..I am anxious to find out.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 PM

Nice ride! Be safe!!!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:46 PM

Nice Ride, and Great Pics!

I took a good look at the FZ too, before I settled on the Versys. I've been wondering why you don't see more comparisons between the two in magazine coverage. Seems to me they are targeted to roughly the same demographic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode