Looking to the next bike.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Looking to the next bike....

I just paid off the small loan I had on my V. Already my thoughts have gone to what bike to get next.

No, I'm not going to sell the V but I definitely want another steed in the stable.

I can't seem to decide what to shoot for.....I don't even have a budget but lets say between 10-15K for a new or lightly used bike.

My problem is part of me wants a true Dual Sport...but honestly I don't see my self thrashing single track trails....so I say to myself the V can handle the gravel roads so why get a DS....but honestly a BMW GS....is just cool...Yes I would probably be the poser that just takes down the occasional trail and spend most of its time at Dunken Donuts ( no Starbucks around here)

So my next thought is a nice Sport touring bike....Something like a Honda ST1300...A bike I can take on long trips...I'm leaning more in this direction but I really do like the beemers....or maybe the Triumph Tiger?? Ihave had such good luck with Japanese bikes its hard to make the jump to a European bike with limited support in this area.

Anyway not really looking for advice just opinions....I know what I should do but that's not always what I do

Last edited by offcamber; 09-23-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 AM

Here's what I just put in my stable for the exact same reason. You can pick them up fairly reasonably and they are bullet proof. Vstrom 650

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 04-10-2012 at 07:13 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 AM

The bmw RT1200 or RT1150 is a great bike and does a lot of things the versys can't. great 2 up and road trip bike. The whantabee biker chicks dig them and Harley guys respect them. The boxer is great and pretty much bulletproof.
cheers
jet

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM

When I think about future machines, I almost inevitably come back to Triumph. The Sprint GT sounds like it would fit your criteria quite nicely, and you get that fantastic engine as a bonus.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If I am to have a second bike then its going to be a BMW-either F800GS or 1200GS...

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 PM

N1k

For some reason, if the Multistrada or Diavel are out of rea$ch, then I find myself lusting after the Ninja 1000. And, DallasDon, isn't the V-strom + your V just redundant?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:53 PM

I got one of these:

Husqvarna TE630

And my V isn't even close to being paid off yet.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
If I am to have a second bike then its going to be a BMW-either F800GS or 1200GS...

This is what I kind of want but common sense says there is better choice...however that said I bet a lightly used one is very reasonable priced compared to new.

With that said I can see me coming across cheap KLR250 and scooping that up.....that may scratch my DS itch and then get the Sport Tourer anyway
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:36 PM

or

Can get reasonable deal at the end model year ~12.5-13K

Dual Sport VS Sport Touring
decisions decisions
"What gold plated problems we have."

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 09-23-2011 at 09:47 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Get a '10 or later Concours 14... THE best bang for the buck in motorcycledom.

IMO
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 06:17 PM
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
Get a '10 or later Concours 14... THE best bang for the buck in motorcycledom.

IMO
I agree. I've seen the Concours from a distance but never paid much attention to them until today.

A little background, I've only had the V for about 8 months. I mainly bought it to ride up to the western Carolina mountains from Atlanta, which is about 2 1/2 hours away, where I keep my KLX 250S for dual sport riding. I couldn't be happier with the V's performance on the Interstate and mountain twisties. The V really shines up on the mountain roads as you all probably already know.

Since I've done a fair amount of Interstate driving lately, I now have the urge to take longer trips and this is where the Concours comes in......the V is more than capable of long Interstate trips however a bike like the Concours would defiantly be more up to the task.

As I was waiting today for service, I went and sat on the Concours and immediately fell in love with it. I spent the rest of the afternoon researching the bike and I will say, one day (hopefully soon) I'm getting one.

I'll always keep the V as it's a great all around bike and perfect for in-town Atlanta and everyting else you can throw at it, but for my third and final bike I think I'm going with the Concours.

Last edited by rlj; 09-24-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: my spelling is killing me
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:09 AM

I traded my FJR1300 on the Versys after putting 80k on it in 4 years. I only had one ignition failure and it was a recall I had not taken time to get changed before a long trip. I rode it all over America and can attest to its comfort and reliability. Great handling and plenty fast. I really like the Connie too. I will be like you and keep the Versys, sell my 99 Bandit 1200 (set up with some nice speed options), finish fixing the Ural Retro and sell it, just to get another Sport Touring in the garage for long trips.
I have about another year to think about it. Good luck on your quest.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

All good info....hadn't really considered the Concourse but I will look. This is a long term goal anyway...no need to hurry....

I'm really going to take my time with the next bike...no snap decisions.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 AM

I have an 08 Versys and a 2010 Concours, and they are truly the best of both worlds. This is my second Connie, and the "wow factor" on the 14 is off the chart. Great 2-up bike, great handling and wicked fast. Kawasaki listened to the owners of the 08's and 09's and fixed the problems on the 10's and later models. Both bikes are great, and I ride the one that fits the occasion. Ride safe and ATGATT!

Conversy
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:44 AM
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conversy View Post
I have an 08 Versys and a 2010 Concours, and they are truly the best of both worlds. This is my second Connie, and the "wow factor" on the 14 is off the chart. Great 2-up bike, great handling and wicked fast. Kawasaki listened to the owners of the 08's and 09's and fixed the problems on the 10's and later models. Both bikes are great, and I ride the one that fits the occasion. Ride safe and ATGATT!
Are the 10's and 11's pretty much the same bike? Dealer told me yesterday that the 12's will have a few changes. I'd be interested in a slightly used 10 if it's the same as an 11.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Any body have any thoughts on the Super Tenere?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 PM

I think it is too heavy for offroad (at least for me). I would like it for touring maybe, but since I have the Versys, and it is so much lighter and I am able to tour on it, I think I would look for something completely different as a second bike. Just me maybe.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Any body have any thoughts on the Super Tenere?
It didn't do so well in this comparo; http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/110...vid=1583490335

I've been giving the Concours serious consideration. The Versys is great for two lane touring, but not so fun on the interstate. I would like ABS, the adjustable windscreen, wider seat, etc.

I am looking to rent one for 24 hours and put some serious miles on it. I do wish they would come out with some brighter colors on the Concours.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I am looking to rent one for 24 hours and put some serious miles on it.
Spot on advice. I will never buy another bike without at a minimum of a test ride. Rentals are even better because you can go do your own thing for a lengthy time before dropping serious $ on a new machine.

The test ride of the Versys sold it. I knew in 30 minutes, I has to have it.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Have to agree...test ride it key.

I won't buy a bike of the dealer won't let you test ride....

I have actually been to dealers where you can't sit on the bike unless your a serious customer. Need less to say I didn't buy a bike from them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode