Triumph 800XC Test report - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Triumph 800XC Test report

Composing, bear with me....

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Ryan,

Hope you found the forum and my thread, if so, please fb me or post up.

Hey, all, I rode the 800XC today, and wanted to share my first impressions.

I have been a big fan as many know, of the Tiger 1050 after riding one last year. I thought that would be my someday machine. I now have a new someday machine, the Triumph 800XC.
The little ride was only about 20-30 minutes. Long enough.

OMG This machine is in another level, make that several levels above anything I have ever thrown a leg over. Power everywhere, feels like a 450 MX bike offroad, rides as smooth as a Versys on road. Ride one, ride one as soon as possible, but only if you want another bike. Don't get me wrong, you know what a Versys fan I am. I would not suggest that anyone trade for one, you would miss the "versatility" and be sad you parted with the Kaw.

This is not a comparison of the Versys and the Triumph; it is the simple fact that this is a machine that was designed, no mods needed, to leave everyone else behind you.

I won't mention speeds, just suffice it to say I was only concerned when I glanced down at the speedometer. Fast, all the time.

After a few miles down the highway, I was immediately impressed with the smoothness, the quiet exhaust note, the overall civility of the Triumph. Finally, a dirt road was found so I could get just a taste of the other side of this true dual sport machine.

I carefully, and I stress that, carefully, turned on to the gravel/dirt county road. Unfortunately, this part of southern Missouri has straight fence line roads, no curves at all for miles, so the only turn I made in a couple of miles was to turn around.

Keep in mind that I am test riding a 12,000.00 motorcycle, so I was again, extremely careful in how I rode the Triumph.

I took it very easy thru the first 3 gears. In fourth, well beyond any chance of anything crazy happening, I cracked the throttle open.

Instant wheelspin, instant acceleration, all under control, bike stayed true, it just made the countryside blur a bit.

Same type of acceleration thru the remaing gears.

It's kinda like someone decided to take the best of a dirtbike and make it ride on the highway like a BMW.

Ride one. It is so far above and beyond the Tiger 1050 that it should have it's own category. I'll call it "category AWESOME" !!

I know some will think this is over the top, that I am selling out on the V, etc. Not the case I assure you. There is still no machine that, for the price, offers as much as the Kawasaki KLE Versys. I sadly sold mine, miss it a ton, and hope to have another one someday. This is not a comparison between the two, and if you are an individual looking at buying a Versys, PLEASE, do not let this review sway you away from the best motorcycle I have ever owned.

If, you have 12 grand, and are in that market, you owe it to yourself to ride one. OKAY? Thanks and this is the best FORUM anywhere! Later, Element.

Regular Triumph 800

Tiger 800

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 08-31-2011 at 02:25 PM.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

It's midnight here, about an hour past my bedtime. Thank you, one and all. I'll check back in a week or two. Meanwhile, I'm off to ALASKA. On a boat, not a motorcycle Just kidding, I am going to have a blast on the cruise.

Cheers and goodnight,
ELEMENT

My Album:

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 01:46 AM

Very good. You were taken with it then......

Here's a report I did earlier in the year on another forum under my old handle. I too loved it and thought at the time it would be my next motorcycle. But I eventually went back to buying the Versys, bang for buck and all that.

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...c,61646.0.html

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM

I read only good reports on the 800 XC so far.
+1 again today for Triumph

Long term ownership is still a question mark however.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 12:09 PM

Bike Report

Thanks for the report. Glad you were able to take it for a test ride and get a little dirt time as well. I think if I were going to get a second bike, the Tiger would be the first one I test ride. Again, thanks.

Keith
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 AM

I rode one this weekend,

I like the riding position but it was overall very uninspiring. The power wasn't snappy at all, places where I would have to be careful with my versys to not lift the front wheel you could just twist away on the tiger and it would gradually make power. Seemed odd cause its a bigger engine with another cylinder.

I think if it end up getting one oneday, its gonna have to have more torque or I might have to spring for the 1050.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Composing, bear with me....

I'm with ya, brother....

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
I'm with ya, brother....
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

BAMF
There had to be something wrong with your test bike. The Triumph has nearly 100 ponies and weight 415 pounds! It is seriously fast. A Versys wouldn't stand a chance, on road or especially, off. The 1050 might catch it thru a quarter mile, but off the line and thru an 1/8, I would say the 800 would beat the 1050. I have some new friends who have one of each, and I'll ask them which one is faster.

I think the aftermarket suppliers are going to be dissappointed, because it comes with so much stock. Handguards, for instance, skidplate. It is a well thought out dual purpose machine

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 08-31-2011 at 07:14 AM.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 AM

I mean it wasnt slow... but I expected the 800 to have more torque. It just felt squishy and uninspiring. I could see myself getting one when I am 10 years older.

I love the way it looks, I love the specs, I love the seating position... I was just dissapointed by the lack of torque. On the versys, if I crack open the throttle coming out of a turn, the front wheel starts dancing (thats with a 44t cog). On the Tiger, nothing. I even tried to see on a dead straight away what its like to hammer down, it was at best, okay. I thought I was gonna love the engine sound, but it sounded more like a turbine then a motorcycle engine. I think with the right aftermarket exhaust it could sound great though.

at the end of the day, I might end up on a Tiger one day in a few years... but it wont be because of the power difference between the V

*i rode a triumph XC at the triumph dealership in atlanta, ga... if that makes a difference

1997 KLR 650

Last edited by BAMF; 08-31-2011 at 11:00 AM.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I like the look of the bike and has gotten good review however whats the history on reliability with Triumph. I been sticking with Japanese bikes because of the bullet proof reliability.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
I like the look of the bike and has gotten good review however whats the history on reliability with Triumph. I been sticking with Japanese bikes because of the bullet proof reliability.
At Honda's VFR1200F Dual Clutch model release last October I spent time with several Honda employees. I rode up on my 2003 ST1300 and one of the Honda guys wanted to know what new bikes I liked. I mentioned Triumphs in general and the Sprint GT in particular. He said Triumph was making some great bikes and that he was impressed especially by the company's reliability record which across the marque, according to him, was second only to Honda. His list had Honda first, Triumph second, followed by rest of the Japanese marques, then Harley-Davidson, then the rest of the European marques with BMW at the bottom. For whatever that's worth.

I was talking to the editor of Rider magazine after they did their MOTY feature and asked for his personal opinion of the Tiger 800 and XC. He loved them both, all kinds of fun to ride, thought they were best in class. He offered one caveat, however. One of their test models started to make a funny noise (I think he termed it a howl) as their test period was ending, Triumph picked up the bikes and he never found out what it was. He advised me not to buy the first year of production. For whatever that's worth.

Would I buy a new Triumph today? I would. I'd replace my Versys with a Tiger 800 if I wasn't so pleased with the Versys. I'm waiting to see what the new Triumph Trophy 1200 is like. Based on spy photos it will be a 1200cc triple with shaft drive set up for sport touring. Could be a nice replacement for my ST1300, especially if the new Triumph is lighter. The one issue I have with my ST is she's a porker. Both my bikes are paid for and well suited for the riding I do, so it will take fantastic bikes to make me change.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 08-31-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Its funny you mentioned the St1300 because thats one of the bikes I been considering for a second bike. Something for long distance touring.

I was in Acadia NP a few weeks ago I saw a guy getting on what I believe was fully outfitted Tiger 800....I waved and said nice bike...he just nodded but his buddies on HDs kinda laughed and said "its a loaner...his is already in the shop". I just shrugged and kept walking.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:53 PM

i agree with bones assessment... the model i rode had a whine like a turbine engine does, felt luggy and squishy...

i will wait:
  1. until i can afford one
  2. they work out all the kinks
  3. the engine is on the road for more then one year

overall... still one of the best looking and most useful bikes on the market today.

1997 KLR 650

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 PM

I have the road version with about 3800 miles on it so far, mainly commuting 50 miles per day. My bike has been worry free to this point, but others have had some issues. I do have it scheduled for a software update this Sat. I really enjoy the bike. It is sneaky quick. I agree that it isn't a punchy engine, but if you ride the broad torque curve it is a quick bike for what it is. I myself love the triple whine, with the Arrow exhaust it sounds wonderful to my ears.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knoxville-20110524-00035.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	12457  
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I have never had 6th gear wheelspin on a dirt road on a Versys. It has a ton of midrange, and that's where the best power is. Too much torque and and revs won't be satisfying. I would really like to see any Versys try to keep up with that Triumph.

My Album:
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 10:55 PM

after riding both, i definitely say that with any twisties and or short straight aways the versys would hold its own. Offroad, the xc would certain shine as well as either tiger when fully loaded and a passenger on board.

865green said it right, it makes the power to deliver just not as fast as you would expect.

I just dont want people to get it twisted, the difference in power is not what makes this bike great.

1997 KLR 650

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 PM

Triumph must be doing well. I've been to two dealers and both claim they sold all their 800s before they even received them. The only way I could get one if I wanted one is order it in at full MSRP. Same with the Tiger 1050 and Sprint. The only Triumphs they had left on the show room floor were some cruisers and a Street Triple because they had order so... many. The dealers both told me they do not offer test rides on their Triumphs unless you put down a $5000 deposit first because of demand and desire to sell them with 0 miles. Salesman at one dealer (they also sell Kawasaki) told me the 1050 drives much more like the Versys than the 800s do, due to smaller 17in wheel up front and firmer street only suspension. He compared the 800s to a better/more refined VStrom and the Tiger 1050 to a better/more refined Versys.

Last edited by Sprocket; 08-31-2011 at 11:50 PM.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

The numbers don't lie, 94 hp at 415 lbs. Versys is 64 at 432 pounds.

My Album:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode