Shiver 750 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Shiver 750

Just wondering if anyone has come across one of these on the road? Really like the looks and understand the v90 design is smooth, plus more HP over the Versys.

Would be like starting all over tho on farkles, new bike, no aftermarket goodies yet.

At 470lbs, probably 25lbs heavier than the Versys. Also, I understand it gets less mpg, bigger fun does not come cheaper!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shiver_750_4_1024.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1186  

07 K1200GT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 10:04 AM

I think it looks great.

Course it's not as "versatile" as the V. No windscreen, looks like hard bags might be an issue.

Italian bikes always seem to look great.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 10:39 AM

I only know one person who has one... it's spent more time in the shop than in his garage But he loves it when it works.

I'm calm like a bomb!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 10:54 AM

I've had a couple internal transmission factory ****ups on my Husky as well (Italian built). It's MOSTLY bullet proof, except for that weld they missed and the shift drum that failed at a couple hundred miles. All parts must be ordered as well, unless you're lucky enough to live next to the half dozen dealers in the US that stock Husky parts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:18 PM

Awesome ride.

All I know is, I sure like the concept: Supermoto-esque design, torquey twin, unusual but attractive styling, laydown offset rear shock....

...Hey wait a minute... I already have one of these! It's made by Kawasaki, and it only cost about $6700. Plus, there are two Kawasaki dealerships within 10 miles of me, that have all kinds of parts for it just sitting on their shelves.

Seriously though, if I were rich and the lack of dealer support didn't scare me, I'd buy one of these Shivers in a heartbeat. How'd you all like to have a 90 HP Versys, with really good brakes and gorgeous Italian style?

(...and the review I read on the Shiver said the seat was extremely plush and comfortable)

HandKPhil
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 AM

I took my wife out the the Aprilila dealer this weekend to look at the Mana. It shares many parts with the Shiver but it has automatic transmission. She has been riding her Yamaha Majesty scooter the last two years and I thought (hoped, prayed, made sacrifices to the gods) that she would like it.

She did!

Trade in on her scooter is only around $3,000 though and the Mana is $10,000. She is a frugal lass.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherm01 View Post
Mana. Mana.
Doot doooo do-do-do

I'm calm like a bomb!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 01:07 AM

Aprilia Shiver Tested...

Hello Versys_Guy .... from Versysguy
(Sorry. I was 'Futuraguy' over at the Aprilliaforum when I owned one.)

We have a couple of Aprilia dealers here in Seattle and I test rode the Shiver back in the summer. I was quite curious because it met several of he criteria I found in my Versys. Unfortunately, it was on a Saturday, urban traffic was thick, the day was hot and I basically came away underwhelmed. The fly-by-wire was set for 'sport' when I would have had a more favorable impression had it been set on 'tour' - or so I have read. The throttle was very snatchy. My thigh got very hot in the stop and go traffic to the freeway.

A little bit too bad because I saw a lot of quite desirable features in the bike.
That having been said, the move to the Versys has not been second-guessed (compared to the Futura). It handles admirably, is light, has adequate power and is economical. 'Still have many things I'd like to get improved (er, seat, handguards, hugger, temperature guage, did I say seat ? etc. etc.) but that will happen over time.

Ride safely all.

Peter
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to scaryfast777 Send a message via Skype™ to scaryfast777
Hey all. I considered the shiver as well before the V but my friend that I work with had a really bad experience with his Aprilia Super-Moto he bought so I have since been scared away from any of their newer generation bikes. He bought a brand new 650 Super-Moto from a local dealer and was able to ride it a grand total of three times last season. The bad thing is that out of the three times he rode it, it almost killed him those exact three times. Aprilia made a big mistake by trying to build their own motor from the ground up and this was hence the source of the problem. It pissed oil from every part of the motor you could imagine. Not to mention, oil had gotten into the coolant system via a very minimal tolerance in the block. The stock electrical system was a joke. He went thru a new battery every time he rode (3). Not to mention the fact that he took a trip to San Antonio, Tx (or Houston, my mind is playing tricks on me, either way 10-12 hr drive) to one of the largest Aprilia dealers in the nation. Micah, who used to race for Aprilia and is now one of their most recognized master mechanics, rebuilt the motor and replaced everything per warranty, then proceeded to tell my friend to sell the thing as quick as he possibly could because the bike was a major piece of [email protected]%. Upon returning home, my friend fired up the freshly rebuilt motor and went for a quick spin. Low and behold, fresh oil all over the rear tire. Big problem now was that everyone who bought these bikes had the same, or worse, problems so he couldn't get rid of it. After a large group of owners from across the nation got together and threatened Aprilia USA with a Class Action Lawsuit, Aprilia decided to buy all of the bikes back. They finally admitted that they knew of the problems before the release of the bikes in the states but they decided to release them anyway because they went through all of the trouble of getting the bikes into the country. Aprilia offered no apologies, discount on another bike, or reimbursement on full coverage insurance paid on a bike that wasn't even ridden for almost 1 year. Sorry for being long winded but I just felt that anyone interested in Aprilia should know this little fact. I know that they make good bikes but I will never buy an Aprilia because of what I witnessed. I can't imagine going through what he went through. Sometimes I think the Italians focus to much on form and not function.

-Scaryfast777

The Secret To Creativity Is knowing How To Hide Your Sources. -Albert Einstein
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

I was looking at buying the plans for the J3 Kitten ultralight once upon a time (long time ago). Went to Osh Kosh and watched it fly. Went to the factory in N.C. and saw a new 2 cylinder opposed engine made brand new just for the J3 Kitten.

Watched the prototype fly and it sounded great and had good power. But talked to the mechanic, found out they had the 3rd engine, they were porus from sand casting and leaked oil everywhere.

They ended up going with the rotax (snow mobile motor).

07 K1200GT

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode