What about cruisers yes-no? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What about cruisers yes-no?

I am looking to add another bike to the stable. It is the Yamaha Roadliner, I can get a brand new one 2009 for 9859.00. Does anyone have this bike and if so what do you like and dislike. The bike is the 1900 cc motor and with the aluminum frame and seems pretty light for how big it is. I just thought it might be a good bike for long trips. Are there any opinions out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Why not if you have the cash to float. Nice bike though.

still thinking on my second bike.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Get what you like if you can afford it

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:13 AM

Sorry, but in my opinion... crusiers are the ugliest bikes ever made... So ugly in fact, if they were the only type of bike available to buy I would not be riding a motorcycle period.... It's your money, so whatever floats your boat...

Richard

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
Sorry, but in my opinion... crusiers are the ugliest bikes ever made... So ugly in fact, if they were the only type of bike available to buy I would not be riding a motorcycle period.... It's your money, so whatever floats your boat...

Richard
agree whole heartedly

if it were my choice I wouldnt' even consider it a cruiser of any type (the closest I'd get to a cruiser would be something like a Triumph Thinderbird, or Rocket, if we are truly talking fantasy (ie cash ignored) motorbike purchases possibly the Diablo, IE somethign that sort of looks liek a crusier but handles like a motorbike.

but it aint my choice, its your cash, your dreams, your reality you do what you want and enjoy it. just seems odd to ask what sort of crusier to buy on a forum such as this
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 AM

I don't find them that ugly, but I do find their performance/ ergonomic compromises too great for them to interest me at all. Generally speaking, the stretched wheelbase, fat tires and limited ground clearance make them not much fun to turn. Most have a feet forward riding position which is cruel to the back, and riding hiway speeds without a massive windscreen is a chore. I'd rather be driving a Miata on the hiway, which you can get for similar money BTW (used). But as others have said, if you like it then what difference does anyone else's opinion make? You might consider giving that money to Oxfam or some other charity; that might make you feel even better.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 AM

Remember to take into consideration who you are asking. Ask the same question on a Yamaha cruiser forum and I am sure you will get a completely different answer. That seems like a good price and a nice bike if that is what you like. Any bike always has pros and cons. Read the reviews on the internet. As you are a Versys owner you might want to consider a sport touring bike.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:16 AM

Cruisers are great fun when ridden in the context of which they were designed!

Don't listen to the naysayers. Have at it and enjoy.

I am currently on Victory # 5, and each an every one has provided many, many moments of motorcycling bliss.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jmlmjmjm; 04-27-2011 at 08:20 AM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I like the looks of the cruisers but the sitting position is all wrong for me way too low and feet placement is out of wack.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:41 AM

I'd recommend a cruiser as a second bike (if there ever were a need of one... The Versys does everything I've asked of it, touring, back roads, w/e).

What I'd look to most though is one with a massive gas tank. Most of the cruisers out there these days have a hard time getting 150 miles out of a single tank, and that really is such a short distance that you'll have a hard time (imo) getting the cruiser doing what it's designed to do (eat miles).

While looking at cruisers, there are a couple other things you can look to as well: hydraulic valves, hydraulic clutch/brakes, shaft driven. These make for extremely low maintenance on long hauls... While I couldn't recommend these for a trail bike, on something that mainly sees highway it's fantastic.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 AM

I use to ride a yamaha V-Star 1100. Yamaha's cruiser are awesome, I'm sure you will like that bike a lot.

But, I prefer riding the V
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Remember to take into consideration who you are asking. Ask the same question on a Yamaha cruiser forum and I am sure you will get a completely different answer. That seems like a good price and a nice bike if that is what you like. Any bike always has pros and cons. Read the reviews on the internet. As you are a Versys owner you might want to consider a sport touring bike.
You diffidently have a point, all I am really thinking to get one is for long distance rides not for in town or canyon riding or adventure riding. I love the Versys because of its diversity and very practical for all types of riding. I am trying to figure out what bike would be great for long tour riding two up and at a reasonable price. I would like a honda Goldwing yet expensive. Does anyone have a cruiser or ever owned one and what they liked and didn't like.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Unless you're the kind of person that wears the same clothes every day or rides the same road every ride, I say go for it. Variety in one's life is good for the soul.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 AM

I'm going to add something to my collection also. That will carry two people and lots of gear cross country. Or me and my two dogs and gear. I would not like to do said on a Versys. That's a terrific price on a large displcement bike. So I say Hell Yes!

With that having been said. the only possible negitive I can see at this moment for me. Would be that if it's like the pictures I see, it's not in touring trim. So another 1k$ in accesories to fit it out for my intented use. Some cruisers are touring ready for example the honda vtx 1300t

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 04-27-2011 at 09:52 AM.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 AM

One thing Yamaha does with it's cruiser line is incorporate features NOT found on other cruisers. AS WELL AS probably the best jewelry and fit and finish of any IMPORT. Typically you see brakes taken from a sport bike they build or a tourer, their aluminum frames on their cruisers are second to none and allow for better weight distribution, better handling (considering it's cruiser shortcomings here) and less flex. And they actually prioritize horsepower when they build ANY engine. There are a lot of goodies on that bike that on an "American made" bike would cost you 2 and a half times as much with LESS power, and arguably not as well handling.

Cruisers have their niche. It depends on what you are wanting out of the RIDE. In the USA, cruisers dominate everything else 4 to 1. Just go to any bike rally. There's a reason. I won't go into why I think this is, but that many people appreciate the RIDE for the kick back, relaxed ability for the bike to basically ride itself and take-in the scenery.

That's a crazy price on a LOTTA bike ... I would jump on it. I don't think you are going to find more cruiser, better quality in an import, or reliability anywhere else... at any price. Hey'll it even has pushrods

I have had 3 cruisers, and I understand the purpose. They are work-horses and carry the most important thing for slab-touring long distances. WEIGHT. They ride close to the ground, and that weight carries LOW so it's more manageable than a standard bike of similar weight. The big engine cruisers lumber along with little effort, at low rpm and this allows for a relaxed ride that doesn't tire you out as fast, and the road doesn't "get to you as fast as a higher strung suspension geared for performance". You can also go broke doing things to the bike to make it your own. Feet forward is the biggest difference, but you'll get used to it. The weight sits low... Biggest difference is cornering clearance, and flick-ability. But hey, it's a C-R-U-I-S-E-R ... It's purpose is different.

If you like good old American V8's with a rumble, you will love a v-twin cruiser ... It has the same persona

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid

Last edited by dezertv; 04-27-2011 at 10:10 AM.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:58 AM

No experience with this bike - good looker.

I have a Honda 1300 VTX that I bought 5 years ago with 0 miles on it. Great for long trips. I put a fairing on it, bags, trunk. It now has 46,000 miles on it. I use my sport bikes for in town (currently the Versys is for sale, I replaced it with something bigger, faster).

Cruiser is great wind and rain protection and easy on the backside on the long trips.

Last edited by LoneRanger; 04-27-2011 at 10:00 AM.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:09 AM

Best cruiser I owned... VTX1300c... Sorry I sold it... Good balance bike, we had a lot of fun on it, and reliable as nails. Easy to work on ... Everyone should be required to buy a VTX 1300 before they say anything BAD about cruisers ...

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 AM

I have always owned Yamaha's the "V" is my first bike that wasn't. The Yamaha's just kept running no matter how badly I treated them. Also I think the fit and finish on the Yamaha Cruisers is right up there with BMW. I'm totally jealous now, post some pics when you get her home....
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertv View Post
One thing Yamaha does with it's cruiser line is incorporate features NOT found on other cruisers. Typically you see brakes taken from a sport bike they build or a tourer, their aluminum frames on their cruisers are second to none and allow for better weight distribution, better handling (considering it's cruiser shortcomings here) and less flex. And they actually prioritize horsepower when they build ANY engine. There are a lot of goodies on that bike that on an "American made" bike would cost you 2 and a half times as much with LESS power, and arguably not as well handling.
Don't put much stock in the made in USA thing personally but you can always purchase a Victory designed in Minneapolis, made in Spirit Lake Iowa and owned by one of the largest recreational vehicle manufacturers in the world, Polaris:

Aluminum frame, triple disc brakes, 6 Gal. gas tank, self cancelling signals, very large floorboards, air adjustable rear suspension, cruise control, a speedometer NOT located on the tank, OHC motor, Hydraulic valves (no adjusting), 5K mile oil change intervals, two year warranty, EFI, belt drive and a riding position that is not like giving birth!

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
I don't find them that ugly, but I do find their performance/ ergonomic compromises too great for them to interest me at all. Generally speaking, the stretched wheelbase, fat tires and limited ground clearance make them not much fun to turn. Most have a feet forward riding position which is cruel to the back, and riding hiway speeds without a massive windscreen is a chore. I'd rather be driving a Miata on the hiway, which you can get for similar money BTW (used). But as others have said, if you like it then what difference does anyone else's opinion make? You might consider giving that money to Oxfam or some other charity; that might make you feel even better.
Never owned a cruiser, but as to their performance, the one thing I've noticed when following cruisers into corners is that they slow down a lot more than I do on my Versys. That said, If you want long distance comfort, and you're gonna ride a lot of straights, with big sweepers, and don't care if you're carving the most exciting line through the tighter turns have at it.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode