Yamaha FJR 1300 AE--electric clutch? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yamaha FJR 1300 AE--electric clutch?

I was looking on Craigslist and spotted a FJR 1300 AE...I was looking at the features the buyer described and about 5 features in (after shaft drive, adjustable windshield, etc..) they mentioned it has an "electric clutch." I looked at the pictures they posted and the bike does not even have a clutch lever, so it is not like it's an option you can disable. Anybody know how this works? I am assuming it works similar to an automatic transmission in a car, but this seems weird to me on a motorcycle. I remember Honda making automatic transmission bikes in the late 70's or early 80's (Hondamatic?), and Husqvarna making some dirt bikes with that feature around the same time, but nothing since then. I just can't even imagine what it would be like to ride a bike with an automatic transmission. Anybody ever ride one?

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM

automatic shifting sequential transmission

This is a feature you either love or hate. I have personally ridden this bike twice at the annual motorcycle shows. I really like it. But you have to adjust to no clutch lever. You can either shift automatically, or by using a switch on the left grip or a foot lever like on most bikes. I adjusted quite readily after riding in stop and go traffic for about 20 minutes. At first it is hard to not reach for the clutch lever when coming to a stop. But you adjust fast.
I have been tempted several times to buy an end of the season discounted model, but haven't yet. They originally were price higher than the manual shift model, but have been heavily discounted.
Rid one if you get a chance. You might like it!

Dont bother me with DETAILS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It's a optional (AE/AS) semi-automatic transmission that uses an electronic clutch, which Yamaha calls YCCS (Yamaha Chip Controlled Shift). This system is a solenoid-operated five-speed sequential manual gearbox with a computer controlled clutch. These models have no lever on the left bar and instead have a push-button shifter operated with thumb and index finger. Gear shifts are completed in around 0.2 seconds. The conventional foot shifter may be used simultaneously. The gearbox pattern is also unconventional in that neutral is at the bottom end of the range, otherwise the gearbox is identical to the base model. The ECU automatically controls the robotic clutch and ignition timing to ensure smooth gear shifting and will actuate the clutch at standstill. Stalling the engine is not normally possible.
In the USA and Canada the AE variant was discontinued for 2010, although AS models continued to be sold in some other markets.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:53 AM

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 PM

There is also the Honda VFR1200F with the DCT option. It works surprisingly well, and has a few different "modes", depending on how you intend to ride it. I suggest you ride one before buying, as it is not for everyone. I myself like it and would consider this option on a second bike.

Jon Campbell

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STAR 2012 - Avon, Colorado

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode