Eye of the Tiger - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Eye of the Tiger

I went to the Triumph ride day at a local dealer today. Test rode the 800 Road Tiger. Rode the Vesys there so I had a fresh impression of both bikes. To me the Tiger was awesome. Smooth motor, powerful, smooth shifting, good stock seat, and nice handling although a little slower turn in than the V(17 vs 19). I can only compare to the V since it is the only bike I have owned. However with the trade in offer the gave me it was a no brainer, the V will be traded. The only question is how long I will have to wait for my Tiger. It will be white with the titanium Arrow can. Thanks to all the wonderful forum members for their help and insight on the V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:09 PM

Sounds like a good fit for you. Enjoy your new cat and good luck.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Glowcat. I was all set to be disappointed, because the V has been great to me. It was just calling my name. That triple with the arrow can was music to my ears.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:00 PM

Just curious what deal you struck. I've had my eye on the tiger, though it might not be the best choice given my location, and lack of dealerships.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

The price of the base model was set ($9995), as they are selling very well here. But they gave me almost what I paid for the bike in trade in. I was lucky enough to scoop up a leftover 2009 Versys cheap last June. For me the bike was very similar to the V, but better in every way. I know others will disagree, but I loved the bike. If you like the 1050, Triumph is throwing in $2100 in accessories for free. Hand guards, center stand, touring shield, and three piece hard luggage set.

Last edited by 865GreenV; 04-23-2011 at 08:25 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 PM

Just wondering if you also rode the Tiger 1050 and not just the Tiger 800. Was wondering how they compare as they are a completely different design.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:15 PM

Both the 1050 and the 800 are on my list for a potential next bike (with about 8 others ). Enjoy!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Sorry but I only rode the 800. The stance of the 800 fit me better. It's nice being able to flat foot.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

How is the height compared to the V? I can't flat foot the V, but I assumed the Tiger would be just as tall.

I think the Tiger is in my future... but like 2014, Wont sell the V till I have 100,000 on her.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
congrats and

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

The 800 road version that I test rode had a lower seat than the V. On my Versys I am on the balls of my feet, but on the Tiger I could flat foot. I didn't pay attention to the seat. It might have been in the low position. the seat drops almost an inch on both models. The seat is very east to adjust by the way, and I forgot to mention that the display has a temp gauge and gear indicator stock. Also the bike has 1 1/8in aluminum bars and the bar clamps can be rotated to move the bars forward. I was also told that some of the Tigers this year will come as 2012 models with a darker gray frame color.

Last edited by 865GreenV; 04-24-2011 at 10:02 AM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Damn... that sounds more and more perfect. Well I'll just have to be patient.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 PM

I demo'd one a few weeks ago, also road my V to the dealer and home again.

I couldn't agree more on the smoothness, just incredible. The road version I road also had an Arrow can and again it sounded sweet, not loud just plain cool. The windshield worked well in stock form also.

I felt the V was snappier and also handled much quicker. I think that is what is standing in my way, I just love how quick the Versys handles and it has me smiling alot, the Tiger handles well, but for me it just didn't seem as fun. I think about it alot but am too affraid I will miss what I have to drop almost twice the money.

They did invite me to come back for another test ride, and they also said they had one that was pre-ordered that the guy back out of, so they had one ready to go. It was the ABS version so that added another $800 to the cost.

As far as seat hieght, I would say it's real close to the Versys, didn't feel any different to me. I'm 5'8", so I wasn't flatfooted on either one.

One other thing that has me scratching my head is all the creature comforts I added to my Versys, heated grips, XM radio, GPS, two power outlets... all this stuff mounted nice and clean on the Versys, the Tiger has a more minimalist dash which doesn't have alot of mounting options. This is surely a small problem that I'm sure could be overcome with some creative thinking...

Great bike for sure!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Well put Windwalker. For my riding style, I don't think the slower handling will affect the fun factor while riding. The cost factor is kind of hard to get past, but you only live once right. Also I haven't farkled my Versys to the extent you have. I still have time to change my mind, but I doubt it. I will find out Tuesday of the exact wait time.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Well I have had the Tiger for 5 days now, and my original review still stands. The mileage looks like it will be a little less than the Versys, but still in the 40's for mpg. The only negative is that it seems to put off more engine heat than the V, but with the extra cylinder the motor is wider than I am used to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger1 small.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	11270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger2 small.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	11271  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Nice looking bike!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Baron. The Versys is a wonderful machine, and I greatly enjoyed riding it. However for me personally, I wanted the Tiger more.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 865GreenV View Post
Well I have had the Tiger for 5 days now, and my original review still stands. The mileage looks like it will be a little less than the Versys, but still in the 40's for mpg. The only negative is that it seems to put off more engine heat than the V, but with the extra cylinder the motor is wider than I am used to.
I see you have the dark frame, is that a 2012 model?
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

According to my dealer, the local rep, and my deal sheet it is a 2012. I wasn't sure about the color at first, but it has grown on me.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Enjoy your tiger. I like what Triumph is doing these days, but I don't know what their reliability and ownership costs are. I like how Kawasaki shares parts like oil filters among their different motorcycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode