*Just Purchased* 2011 Suzuki TU250x - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
*Just Reviewed* 2011 Suzuki TU250x

So, I won a scooter on Saturday and I have been considering adding a TU to my stable for a year or so now. Anyways long story short I traded the scooter and got a brand spanking new TU250X. The new color is saweet, much nicer in person (those of us with green V's know what i am talking about). I already ordered some farkles and the prices are much better than the V's. I have leather saddle bags coming, a new gel seat to complete the retro look (OEM very comfy but just ruins the classic look of the bike), and rubber fork guards. Only $200 for the gel seat (whats the V like $450?). I will post before and after pics with the farkles when i get them, and stay tuned for a user review.

Last edited by eparker202; 04-04-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 01:36 PM

Nice looking bike. Kinda Old School.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM

Road test that puppy!!! I have been looking at these too. I was thinking the 250 motor may not have enough giddy up. Certainly I'm not expecting performance like the V but if it can hold 65mph without complaints and get 70+ MPG I may get a new stable mate as well...

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 PM

Sweet! I really like those but must resist....

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:21 PM

I've got a '95 KLX250 for my V's stablemate. Cost me only $750 and since it's an enduro and street legal, I can romp in the dirt or get good commuting mpg. A buddy has been trying to talk me into boring it out to 330cc, but I have other places for the bucks at the moment.

Name:  1995 Kawasaki KLX250.jpg
Views: 11730
Size:  35.7 KB

That TU250X reminds me of my first bike, a '73 Honda CB350.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point

Last edited by miblue; 03-31-2011 at 03:24 PM.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Mine is the gold color however, and the other image shows the bike with the farkles i ordered sans the windshield. Here is a quick review based on 100 miles. Does 65-70 on the highway no problem, can run in 4th at those speeds so if a hill or wind tries to slow you down just click her to 4th. Also, tucking really works well with this bike. Handling is amazing! Perfectly stable at highway speeds, front fork has no damping, i will be changing the fork oil asap. Around town is awesome. I click into 5th at 25-30 mph and she can pull flats with easy, then down to 4th for hills or quick accel. Can runaway from most cars from traffic lights. And the exhaust sound is beautiful, quiet when you want it to be and a deep roar under load and high rpm.

So far
PROS: color, handling, mpgs, mirrors, headlight, sound, comfort, rear suspension is really good (no change needed so far). Fun Factor! Styling! Gets Looks!

CONS: painted frame finish (above average, but below average near welds), top speed, no tach, front fork needs a stiff spring and more damping (but no spring sources so damping change it is), need gel seat to complete classic look, need quarter or flat head screwdriver on you to access tool kit if broken down.

Awesome bike for the price, and will be even better once i address the fork
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suzuki-tu250.jpg
Views:	4207
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	10553   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-Suzuki-TU250X.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	10554  

Last edited by eparker202; 03-31-2011 at 04:03 PM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miblue View Post
I've got a '95 KLX250 for my V's stablemate. Cost me only $750 and since it's an enduro and street legal, I can romp in the dirt or get good commuting mpg. A buddy has been trying to talk me into boring it out to 330cc, but I have other places for the bucks at the moment.

Attachment 10556

That TU250X reminds me of my first bike, a '73 Honda CB350.

I had an 09 klx250s, it was lots of fun, only went off road a few times (reason i sold it), but it had no stability at highway speeds (and this too), a carb, and only a 2 gal tank. Love swinging that thing around town tho
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post

Nice looking bike. Kinda Old School.
Yep, and although not perfect, it's a great little machine. Every review I've read of the TU250 has been positive (but then I may have missed some).

Reminds me of the Suzuki GS450 I had many years ago - it was a great little bike as well. The owner wouldn't sell me his Norton 850 Commando Interstate so I bought the GS450 - and loved it. Tore all around Southwestern Germany aboard it.

I did manage to buy the Norton a year or so later - and loved it as well. Rode it from Germany, through Belgium, across the channel to England (by boat that is), through Southern England and Wales and ultimately to the Isle of Man, and home again, through the Lake Country and eventually to East Anglia (to visit the town where I once lived). It never skipped a beat which is more than could be said of the original Gold Wing and BMW 750 that accompanied me. I managed to successfully come to terms with Lucas positive ground electrics and Amal carburetors - the bike must have liked me.

Sorry guys, I got carried away once again. Can't seem to write a short response.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 03-31-2011 at 03:46 PM.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post

Sorry guys, I got carried away once again. Can't seem to write a short response.
Just keep writing! Those who don't want to, don't have to read 'em!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 PM

Oh man, that is a sweet looking little bike! Love that red color! Should make a great little commuter.

Wish I could find a KLX for $750!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker202 View Post
... front fork needs a stiff spring and more damping (but no spring sources so damping change it is... Awesome bike for the price, and will be even better once i address the fork
Beside switching to fork oil of higher viscosity, you can try adding a spacer for more spring preload.

Hyperpro progressive fork springs for Suzuki TU250: SP-SU02-SSA003

$148 from: http://www.wilbersusa.com/price-list...price-list.pdf

Progressive Suspension may also have fork springs that could be adapted by measuring length and OD... I'll have the Hyperpro #SP-SU02-SSA003 spring rate, length, and OD for you soon.

Progressive Suspension # 11-1521 fork springs for Versys are $84.10 from:

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...21&Click=6154&
Attached Files
File Type: pdf progressive_suspension (1).pdf (122.9 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by invader; 04-01-2011 at 11:03 PM.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Invader,
I HATE this saying, but... YOU DA MAN!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 01:38 AM

Hyperpro #SP-SU02-SSA003 progressive fork springs for Suzuki TU250:
540 mm free length, 5.0 – 10.5 N/mm (44.25 - 92.93 lb/in)

I don't have the spring's outside diameter. You can easily check yours and also measure the length of any existing spacer by removing the cap. It'd be good to also have the stock spring's free length... Then we can select a Progressive Suspension spring set.

Last edited by invader; 04-02-2011 at 04:50 AM.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:46 AM

Garage
Suzuki came out #1 on the 2009 shootout, even beat out the venerable Ninja 250r.

Always trust your cape.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
a new gel seat to complete the retro look (OEM very comfy but just ruins the classic look of the bike), and rubber fork guards. Only $200 for the gel seat (whats the V like $450?). I will post before and after pics with the farkles when i get them, and stay tuned for a user review.
Is the gel seat a Suzuki Product? Is it a single seat instead of 2?

Answered my own question....

Gel Seat for TU250X. Really sharp and sets off the old style look.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 04-03-2011 at 05:33 PM.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

The Gel seat is still a two piece but looks as though it is one, this way the rack under the pillion is still available.

A few hundred miles on a tu250x. This weekend was beautiful up in NH, pretty windy, but I stuck to the woods covered back roads. The rumble from the exhaust surprises me almost every time i get into the gas, she is so quiet with little bit of gas and low rpms, then with just a twist of the wrist the little 250 gives quite the roar (sounds much larger than she really is). I am pretty tall rider for 250 class street bikes and find my butt likes to get right up to the edge of the front seat, but this does not affect comfort and i could ride with the stock seat all day (6'4"). The riding position is slightly more forward than the Versys, which isnt bad at all, it gives me the ability to get down into a half tuck which is very helpful flying through the twisties. After the first hundred miles i started getting her pretty low into corners but the pegs just wont drag, I was expecting to hit them easily. The bike is so narrow it is very easy moving around when switching left to right for the curves (wouldnt it be awesome to drag a knee during a track day? people would be like wtf is he doing on that old thing?). So in terms of handling i would give it a 8.5/10 for now, maybe more maybe less once i get a chance to ride with my buddies, see if the little tu can keep up with the bigger bikes in the curves. I have owned two ninja 250s and the tu is just as flickable but much more steady during high speed turns. As far as power it feels a lot faster than it really is, the exhaust noise and torque pull make you feel like there is a lot of acceleration and because of this the only time I really miss the acceleration of larger bikes is when i am doing 0-60 mph runs to get onto higher speed streets or when merging onto the highway (and roll on at highway speeds). But if you are in any other gear besides 5th pulling out of turns and straight line pull isnt as bad as the numbers would indicate. The transmission is pretty nice. The clutch action is better than the versys (maybe not better but easier), you can slowly let it out so you can get a great launch off the line every time (getting a good launch every time of the V is a lot more difficult, this is also due to a lot more power causing the front wheel to come off the ground on the V). That being said, once you have the clutch fully engaged you almost have to immediately pull it back in to shift to 2nd. First gear is so short I feel as though it runs out of breath around 15-20 mph. The rest of the gears seem to have a much longer life and 5th gear is so far away that the engine doesnt feel like its working hard at all at highway speeds (good for mpgs, bad for wind and hills but 4th can be used at highway speeds as well). I purposely took her down the bumpiest road i knew of that didnt have too many pot holes, just lots of speed bumps (frost heaves really). The front never bottomed out on me, and the soft damping was always ready for the next bump, the rear is great stiffness wise, but the lack of damping showed up over this type of road (seemed great on average and better roads), every bump seemed to linger (only for another stroke or two of the rear suspension). The chassis was amazing, no complaints, no shakes, no twists, took the bumps like a champ. The front brake has good feel and decent stopping power, the rear brake has no feel but is good enough with the help of engine braking to get to the ideal speed for turns. I will replace the front with better pads so see if that helps with emergency braking. Its just the perfect little bike to pull out and hop right on for a quick errand and a fun bike to take out and ride the heck out of. Every time have gone out, i get cagers, harleys and other bikers to take a second look. One guy drove by in his car starring at me the whole time with a huge grin and nodding his head like "that is an awesome bike". I cant wait to take it to a bikers gathering with the new accessories that are due in this week and see the response there. Even got the wife wanting to learn to ride, she signed up for the msf course this weekend.

Sorry about the pictures it was pretty sunny out when i took the pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-04-02_tu250x2.jpg
Views:	1253
Size:	763.3 KB
ID:	10607   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-02_tu250x.jpg
Views:	1722
Size:	636.9 KB
ID:	10608  

Last edited by eparker202; 04-04-2011 at 09:19 AM.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 AM

She's a beauty. The sun brings out the retro look in her.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Pics with the new gel seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-04-06_tu250x2.jpg
Views:	2451
Size:	529.2 KB
ID:	10619   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-06_tu250x.jpg
Views:	1606
Size:	849.2 KB
ID:	10620  
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Pics with the new gel seat.
That seat should come from the factory. They would sell more bikes. It sets off the entire look of the machine.

Wonder if there are any in my area???? Was looking at getting a KLX250SF for an in town errand runner..... But might have to reconsider. Love the style of the old look.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM

I like!

I went from a 1300 to a 650...next bike a 250?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode